Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cockroach milk

Jon the VGNerd

This somehow happens to be a new "superfood trend" which, to me, I'm having a difficult time grasping the concept of it. And yes, this is coming from someone who's lactose intolerant and detest in seeing things are are gross and downright unappealing. Cockroach milk seems to become a thing for dairy goodness, just like fidget spinners that are supposedly intended for mental health when it's obviously a distraction (at least in my opinion). What are your thoughts of "cockroach milk" and are they good or just plain disgusting?

I myself just find it awful, because I prefer lactose-free almond milk because it has better taste and is good for my stomach. Cockroach milk just looks downright revolting, even if it were to taste good (yet my taste buds will likely disagree on this). :unamused:

28 minutes ago, Yamet said:

I don't honestly see how it's any grosser than milk from a cow or a goat. I'd probably even try it a time or two to see how it taste.  

Well, for one thing, cows and goats are not insects, unlike cockroaches, which are notorious for infesting houses and spreading diseases by contaminating food. Cows and goats do not do those; at least their milk have acceptable tastes.

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

Well, for one thing, cows and goats are not insects, unlike cockroaches, which are notorious for infesting houses and spreading diseases by contaminating food.

Meh, if the milk is up to the health standard I don't see the problem. 

It sounds rather disgusting yes. But people already eat snails, frogs legs, ghost peppers, drugs, alcohol, cheese which is cultured from all manner of things, animal organs cooked including brains. There was some expensive type of coffee from when a Jaguar or something poops out the coffee beans then they process it. All kinds of nasty stuff. Blood sausage or pie.

• Brohoof 3

The number of places around the world that eat insects is higher than the number that don't. Pragmatically speaking, they're an excellent and healthy source of protein and a lot of people say they don't mind the taste, or even enjoy it. Personally I'm not big bug person, but I've been humbled in the past by looking at it as nothing but creepy crawly stuff. Cockroach milk sounds disgusting, but I'd bet someone could talk me into at least trying it...

Addendum: @Jon the VGNerd
Moving to general. :)

Cockroach... milk...? :eww: I can hardly fathom anything grosser than that. I mean, I know I'm super picky and can't eat like 95% of things that normal people eat, but I'm certain that this is just gross beyond belief.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'll be completely honest; the thought is probably a lot worse than the taste. :pout: Don't get me wrong; I won't say it sounds tasty... but I've heard of worse foods out there.

Edited by The Recherche
  • Brohoof 2

Here’s a video from FOX News cause its hilarious

And here’s the real video that explains how cockroach milk is better than the milk we normally drink out of cows and buffalos.

Personally, No Thanks for the Cockroach Milk :eww:The thought of it is making me ill that such a seemingly insignificant bug has proven to be quite siginificant.

First these insects can survive a nuclear explosion and now they can make milk? Cockroaches are hardcore. :P

Personally It doesn't sound like something that I would like to try. But then again I am not really that big a fan of more ordinary milk in the first place.  But I would find it really funny if something that sounds as bizarre and possibly gross as cockroach milk would end up tasting pretty good.

Ewwww. Cockroaches are insects, they don't produce Milk at all.................

...........................do they?

(Reads book) Cockroach: Insect

Insect: Arthropod

Arthropod: A life form whose skeleton is on the outside.

Mammal: Life form that nurses their young with milk.

Are there any insects known that produce milk? (All evidence points to there being none)

Conclusion: Nah.

Well, technically it would be more of a fungus milk with roach proteins. I'm all for it. Insects deserve far more respect and admiration that we tend to give them. Imitating them in science is never a bad idea.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be completely against eating an insect; I've done it before, and the drawbacks are more a matter of cultural conditioning that anything else.

But the real question here is...how in the world to you milk a cockroach?!  :confused:

• Brohoof 2

First thing first, cockroaches don't produce milk at all. They're insects and insect don't even have mammary glands to start with.

But what's been called milk, is actually the its blood. 

And for the record "Ewwwwwww" and lots of gag reflexes. Only insect I'd ever try will be a lobster or locast. Other than that yuk.

• Brohoof 1

According to my 5 minute google research the "milk" is derived from their post-natal fluid to feed their new hatchlings. I would say that I would absolutely try it once, but it sounds like it would be crazy expensive.

And now I can imagine the full cockroach dinner with cockroach shish kebab, diced, fried cockroach in a bowl, boiled and deep fried cockroaches, and for dessert a couple of scoops of cockroach ice cream washed down with a full glass of cockroach milk.

Call it the exterminator special.

And now I'm thinking about changeling milk...

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...