Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many EG references are in FIM?

JCKane

Hope this doesn't sound confusing.  But obviously, in the EG series, there's references to the main series FIM.  But so far it's been mostly a one-way street.  Meaning, you don't really get any Sunset references or the human world references in FIM (that I've seen) with one exception.  That exception being in the Season finale of Season 7 where the siren's show up in a flashback and we get to see how they were banished to the EG world.  (admittedly the flash back's not featuring them but the pillars but still).

So, anyone else see any other ties ins to EG in the FIM Series?  PS: if they're in season 8, you can mention that there's one in there but please don't spoil the episodes.

• Brohoof 2

Well....... there is the one you already mentioned, when the Sirens are shown in that flashback, but besides that........... I guess Flash Sentry does show up a few times in the main FIM show as a pony, and I think at one point he even has a short speaking line too

Image result for mlp flash sentry pony

• Brohoof 3

I don't think I've noticed Flash Sentry's pony form in the FIM series   I mean I seen him in the ending of EG 1 but otherwise :/

1 minute ago, King of Canterlot said:

Then you weren't looking hard enough :orly:

Truth be told, I wasn't.  And I'll just quote, I forget who dang it (pretty sure it was Spike or Twilight)... "I'm sorry Shining Armor, but most of your friends look the same"  :D

And I dunno why I was thinking he had a more white coat :/ ah well.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/28/2018 at 1:36 PM, King of Canterlot said:

, and I think at one point he even has a short speaking line too

Image result for mlp flash sentry pony

Early in part 1 of MLP Ball Z (S4 finale). Pony Flashy pretty much went under the radar after that, and only made a short appearance in an extra scene in Forgotten Friendship.

But I agree, I think it wouldn't hurt having some Equestrian counterpart of some EG characters. Most of the humans in EG haven't shown an Equestrian counterpart, save some of the most iconic. I presume it's because EG is a spinoff, so it needed to show it's connection with FIM (apart of the aforementioned Flashy), while the latter didn't, to the point of many being able to dismiss it's canonicity. However, they no longer have such excuse since S7 finale, so about time we'd see some horse selves of human exclusive characters by now, specially the Shadowbolts, as I'm itching to know what they are :dash: (I've even made a thread back then on the subject :D)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

specially the Shadowbolts, as I'm itching to know what they are :dash: (I've even made a thread back then on the subject :D)

Funny enough, the Shadowbolts are a reference to a FIM thing already.  In the Series Premere (pretty sure ep 2 as I forget exact where the TBC was) but The "Shadow Bolts" was the group of fake ponies that tried to get Rainbow Dash to join them during her 'Loyalty test'.

However, I don't just mean the Pony Equivilant to EG exclusive characters.  I mean actual tie ins... Like, the season 7 finale flash back.

Other things they could even do.. even subtly is like maybe have Twilight randomly writing in her "Magical diary to Sunset" at the beginning of a scene in FIM and then she closes it and you see the symbol on it to know what she's doing.  Or even maybe see in the background or a random book on her desk or book shelf.  I mean it'd be subtly hints of the series being connected and make fun little easter eggs.

Edited by JCKane

I don't even count the Sirens' appearance in Shadow Play as a reference because, even though they are the same characters, their appearance would've made just as much sense in-context if Equestria Girls never existed and it's not like Twilight ever mentions defeating the Sirens or something.

7 hours ago, JCKane said:

Other things they could even do.. even subtly is like maybe have Twilight randomly writing in her "Magical diary to Sunset" at the beginning of a scene in FIM and then she closes it and you see the symbol on it to know what she's doing.  Or even maybe see in the background or a random book on her desk or book shelf.  I mean it'd be subtly hints of the series being connected and make fun little easter eggs.

I really don't know why they don't do something like that, or even something like Sunset appearing in a picture frame or something. It's not like people who don't watch EqG would be lost since it would just be a background extra.

I wouldn't mind this, but they sure don't have any hesitation to directly reference the events of the movie within the show. Are they just worried about ticking off the EqG haters?

• The title was changed to How many EG references are in FIM?

22 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I don't even count the Sirens' appearance in Shadow Play as a reference because, even though they are the same characters, their appearance would've made just as much sense in-context if Equestria Girls never existed and it's not like Twilight ever mentions defeating the Sirens or something.

It's still an 'easter-egg' or what not and still showing that they are connected.  You can't exactly write out an easter-egg/reference just because it'd still work in the series if the other one didn't exist.

23 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I wouldn't mind this, but they sure don't have any hesitation to directly reference the events of the movie within the show. Are they just worried about ticking off the EqG haters?

I know, most shows like this never reference the movies... granted they usually have it set up where they don't even need to do so.  This one directly ties in the movie.

Which is a bit of a shame... because I mean, even small hints towards it could easily be ignored by EG haters... not to mention like that book reference could easily just be written off as not important since they'd of had to actually seen the 2nd movie in order to even get it.  Which assuming they hated the 1st, odds are they didn't watch the 2nd.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Which is a bit of a shame... because I mean, even small hints towards it could easily be ignored by EG haters... not to mention like that book reference could easily just be written off as not important since they'd of had to actually seen the 2nd movie in order to even get it.  Which assuming they hated the 1st, odds are they didn't watch the 2nd.

That's kind of why I think it's becoming a bit ridiculous that they never refer to EqG even in the background. It's not like the people who don't follow EqG would need to know what the book's about, since it wouldn't be relevant to the plot anyway.

Edited by Toon4Thought

7 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

That's kind of why I think it's becoming a bit ridiculous that they never refer to EqG even in the background. It's not like the people who don't follow EqG would need to know what the book's about, since it wouldn't be relevant to the plot anyway.

exactly.  And it'd help the fan's of EG actually get some more fun nods to the EG series.

1 minute ago, JCKane said:

exactly.  And it'd help the fan's of EG actually get some more fun nods to the EG series.

I know. It's a real shame they either are unwilling or just straight up not allowed to do so.

Just now, Toon4Thought said:

I know. It's a real shame they either are unwilling or just straight up not allowed to do so.

I doubt they're straight up not allowed to do so, since if that were the case, pretty sure they'd not have been allowed to add the siren's to the Season 7 finale.

The appearance of the Dazzlings in the season seven finale was without a doubt the biggest Equestria Girls reference to be seen in FiM followed very closely by the cameo appearances of Flash Sentry. He was included by the animators without the writers knowing about it until they saw the final product. There is another reference which happens in the season six finale courtesy of Trixie. As she was sleeping in her wagon before Starlight woke her up, Trixie mentions peanut butter crackers in her mumblings, a reference to her only dialogue in the first EQG movie.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

The appearance of the Dazzlings in the season seven finale was without a doubt the biggest Equestria Girls reference to be seen in FiM followed very closely by the cameo appearances of Flash Sentry. He was included by the animators without the writers knowing about it until they saw the final product. There is another reference which happens in the season six finale courtesy of Trixie. As she was sleeping in her wagon before Starlight woke her up, Trixie mentions peanut butter crackers in her mumblings, a reference to her only dialogue in the first EQG movie.

Oh, well that's interesting.  But truth be told, I'm more looking for like subtle nods to the EG series that show that they are connected, vs easter eggs that only EG watches would get but otherwise doesn't actually connect the series.

Flash Sentry's cameo and the peanut butter crackers don't do anything to tie the series together.

• 1 month later...