Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Change "Crazy" emoticon into "Disliked" emoticon.

Gestum

As the title says I feel like it would be better if the "Crazy" was changed into "disliked" or something of that nature. It wouldn't change how people use it and it wouldn't feel as insulting to recive. 

• Brohoof 4

I really don't see the connection between crazy and dislike

And personally I see the crazy as more positive and open to interpretation than dislike. Furthermore I don't really see how dislike reaction would benefit the discussion or the community here as a whole more than the crazy reaction already does.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

I really don't see the connection between crazy and dislike

Very often, people will use the "Crazy" reaction as the default "thumbs down," mainly to a post designed to be a serious contribution to a discussion.

I've seen this pattern way too many times.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Ponies cannot give thumbs up or down and I don't think that's entirely a bad thing. Normally when I disagree with a comment, no reaction is good enough for me. Besides, each reaction increases a users brohoof count/reputation so it wouldn't really seem intuitive to 'disagree their reputation up'.

Normally I see the crazy icon as just what it is, someone calling you crazy. For example, I informed Jeric who best pony is and he reacted with 'crazy'. Mistaken, but a good example anyway.

(edited)

Yeah I also use that reaction rather jokingly, something like "mind blown". Totally not to tell, that I didn't like the post, or at least, haven't used that this way yet. When I see a comment I disagree with or simply not like it, I'm not giving any reactions.

A "dislike" title would give it only one meaning, a mean one. :P

10 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Besides, each reaction increases a users brohoof count/reputation so it wouldn't really seem intuitive to 'disagree their reputation up'.

They don't. :P

Each reaction can have its own value set by admins and it is possible to set a negative value, so you could decrease the user rep that way. :twi:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Normally I see the crazy icon as just what it is, someone calling you crazy.

That's where the problem lies. Too often, when people want to create a serious status or post (especially in reply to someone), they will hit the "crazy" reaction, implicating that there's something wrong with that person for cooking up that post. I already ranted on the cowardly drive-by "Hit-'Crazy'-and-Leave" trend before.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

That's true it can be interpreted in multiple ways dependable on situation, but I don't think naming it clearly negatively will make anything any better. They'll hit dislike and leave.  It's up to users themselves how they approach to things. :derp:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Rikifive said:

That's true it can be interpreted in multiple ways dependable on situation, but I don't think naming it clearly negatively will make anything any better. They'll hit dislike and leave. :derp:

Right, but somebody giving you a dislike isn't half as insulting as getting a crazy reaction. At least a dislike doesn't imply that there's something wrong with you. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Maybe we shouldn't change it to a dislike but we should definitely change it to something with a less negative association, like wacky or something. 

I'm considering a secondary penalty: a verbal warning and temporary restriction of using the reaction system if you're caught abusing the "Crazy" reaction. Not sure if IP.B can restrict them, though.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

They don't. :P

Each reaction can have its own value set by admins and it is possible to set a negative value, so you could decrease the user rep that way. :twi:

Good catch, I thought it had changed at some point.

The point remains though, if you disagree with someone you can just say so or say nothing at all. I don't see a need for a negative reaction personally.

15 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

That's where the problem lies. Too often, when people want to create a serious status or post (especially in reply to someone), they will hit the "crazy" reaction, implicating that there's something wrong with that person for cooking up that post. I already ranted on the cowardly drive-by "Hit-'Crazy'-and-Leave" trend before.

I think the fact that people are so overly sensitive about a crazy emote to the point where you are calling hitting the crazy emote and leaving "cowardly" is exactly the reason why we shouldn't soften the connotations anymore. Clearly the issue is people need thicker skin, not more excuses to grow thinner skin.

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I'm considering a secondary penalty: a verbal warning and temporary restriction of using the reaction system if you're caught abusing the "Crazy" reaction. Not sure if IP.B can restrict them, though.

You're really proving my point here. Listen to yourself: you're suggesting we start penalizing people for using an emote now? It's pretty obvious that what we need is LESS babying. This seriously comes off as fun policing and trying to enforce a "everyone has to be nice all the time", policy which usually kills communities. It doesn't make people want to come to this site if they think it's so uptight that they'll be penalized for using an emote.

Sometimes people are going to tell you harsh words, but that doesn't mean they're abusing you or harassing you. Grow some thicker skin.

Well well well. I see a storm is brewing up here in MLP Forums. Now you all know how I feel when someone deems my posts 'Crazy' in Debate Pit.

Seems like changing from "Crazy" to either "Respectfully Disagree" reaction (Figure out which pony suits that reaction) would be a much better change.

I also have a better reaction, but that would violate NSFW rules here and it would be deemed politically incorrect to simply giving off your hateful reaction a comment with respect.

1 minute ago, Sunset Rose said:

The point remains though, if you disagree with someone you can just say so or say nothing at all. I don't see a need for a negative reaction personally.

I very much agree with this. it's relatively pointless for a forum such as this to have a dislike feature in my eyes.

• Brohoof 5

3 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Seems like changing from "Crazy" to either "Respectfully Disagree" reaction 

Can "respectfully disagree" be of Fancy Pants? 

• Brohoof 2

I have been on many sites who tried to police people being too "mean" to each other or offending each other by things like this and it always ends bad. Usually results in the users feeling like they have little freedom to say anything, and instead of people who disagree duking it out and getting over it, they carry grudges and spread rumors behind closed doors. It usually causes more problems than it solves until it tears a community apart.

Implementing some kind of punishment system for using this emote "abusively" is a step toward limiting user freedom of expression. I doubt it will benefit the community in any way.

I AM however all for adding a Disagree option WITH the current emote reaction set. I feel that is a fair compromise.

5 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

changing from "Crazy" to either "Respectfully Disagree" reaction

That's literally the most stupid politically correct term for a reaction I've ever heard in my entire life, Just saying 

I like the Crazy reaction, don't change it just leave it as it is and call it a day you guys :proud:

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Right, but somebody giving you a dislike isn't half as insulting as getting a crazy reaction. At least a dislike doesn't imply that there's something wrong with you. 

Yeah I can imagine that.

Personally I can't help, but consider that as a funny reaction. :P

Either way, you have names of the users who used that reaction; If you feel they didn't act nicely, you can throw them a message or if you feel, that it was just insulting and things went too far, try bringing that to staff's attention. There is a rule to tolerate everypony, so it is rule breaking at that point. Blame users for abuse, not system.

• Brohoof 2

40 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Very often, people will use the "Crazy" reaction as the default "thumbs down," mainly to a post designed to be a serious contribution to a discussion.

I've seen this pattern way too many times.

Yeah I've seen that though I see how it could be interpreted negatively during a more serious conversation, though personally I still don't see it as 'serious' as dislike for example. Personally I see the crazy more of a light hearted way. 

I personally feel that more ambiguous reactions are better as they leave more room for interpretation and don't really set much in stone. That way they hold more meaning and value. If you bind the reaction too much it becomes quite strict.