Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Change "Crazy" emoticon into "Disliked" emoticon.

Gestum

Just now, King of Canterlot said:

That's literally the most stupid politically correct term for a reaction I've ever heard in my entire life, Just saying 

I like the Crazy reaction, don't change it just leave it as it is and call it a day you guys :proud:

Like I said. I'm just being politically correct here with my remark. However I do have the politically incorrect term for a reaction that would seriously violate DA RULZ here.

If people are actually offended by a "crazy" emote then I question if they can handle the internet at all. I for one think that a community of mostly grown adults can learn to handle having a crazy emote and not cry themselves to sleep at night whenever it is used on their post. If they can't... Perhaps the internet is too much for them...

I don't think I've used the crazy reaction yet. It's usually not a good idea to call someone you consider a crazy person, a crazy person as it will likely only escalate their behavior. I use shocked on occasion if I find a comment to be disturbing. Like did they really just say that and not find anything wrong with it?

12 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Good catch, I thought it had changed at some point.

The point remains though, if you disagree with someone you can just say so or say nothing at all. I don't see a need for a negative reaction personally.

There I completely agree with you.

1 minute ago, Key Sharkz said:

If people are actually offended by a "crazy" emote then I question if they can handle the internet at all. I for one think that a community of mostly grown adults can learn to handle having a crazy emote and not cry themselves to sleep at night whenever it is used on their post. If they can't... Perhaps the internet is too much for them...

Exactly. Stop being so soft you guys, it's just a reaction emote, it's nothing to get over sensitive about. @The_Gobo gives me the Crazy reactions all the time and I don't mind it, I think it's kinda funny tbh. Y'all just need to lighten up and enjoy yourselves more. 

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I have been on many sites who tried to police people being too "mean" to each other or offending each other by things like this and it always ends bad. Usually results in the users feeling like they have little freedom to say anything, and instead of people who disagree duking it out and getting over it, they carry grudges and spread rumors behind closed doors. It usually causes more problems than it solves until it tears a community apart.

Implementing some kind of punishment system for using this emote "abusively" is a step toward limiting user freedom of expression. I doubt it will benefit the community in any way.

I AM however all for adding a Disagree option WITH the current emote reaction set. I feel that is a fair compromise.

Being mean or showing that you dislike something with a reaction of some kind. I feel that it doesn't really serve any purpose on a site like this. If one cannot constructively disagree I think it's better to not answer at all.

Personally I've been super sensitive and self conscious of my content in the past though these days I've gotten more used to it. Yet I still don't see how such a feature would benefit the site or the community.

• Brohoof 1

No negative emotes. That's what I like about being on here. You don't have the equivalent to a thumbs down feature. You react with how you feel, not whether you like a post or don't. We're not going to have a negative reaction emote. Those will be too ripe for spamming. 

Having said that, I do think the crazy emote doesn't really serve much purpose. Seems pretty redundant when you have the shocked emote. So my proposal is to replace it with something in between. A reaction equivalent to "Huh? What? Odd." Basically an emote for this :confused:

It's not outright negative, but it shows you don't quite agree or understand the POV of said post. 

• Brohoof 2

Personally speaking I don't mind the crazy reaction as I use it in both ways (as a joke or a way to dislike someone's comment), but the hypocrisy really lies when somebody tries to passive aggressive jab you into using the "Crazy" reaction making the reaction itself be the scapegoat of a serious problem.

People really shouldn't pay too much attention to a reaction, but calling someone crazy isn't a good way of maintaining civil discourse.

• Brohoof 1

I think the only other solution is to add an emoticon even more harsh if something so minor is gonna set you off 

18 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I'm considering a secondary penalty: a verbal warning and temporary restriction of using the reaction system if you're caught abusing the "Crazy" reaction. Not sure if IP.B can restrict them, though.

Posts like this actually only justify the crazy emoticon more

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Manaka Hitomi said:

Being mean or showing that you dislike something with a reaction of some kind. I feel that it doesn't really serve any purpose on a site like this. If one cannot constructively disagree I think it's better to not answer at all.

The reaction is hardly mean. It's actually better to leave the emote than to say how you ACTUALLY feel sometimes. Would you rather I actually spell out you're out of your mind or just leave an emote that you likely will take as a joke anyway? Whether you like it or not, people aren't perfect and sometimes they want to take a light jab at someone. It's not the end of the world and forcing them to hold in their annoyance with someone sometimes results in worse problems. It's better to let them get it out of their system and be done with it.

Just now, ZethaPonderer said:

Personally speaking I don't mind the crazy reaction as I use it in both ways (as a joke or a way to dislike someone's comment), but the hypocrisy really lies when somebody tries to passive aggressive jab you into using the "Crazy" reaction making the reaction itself be the scapegoat of a serious problem.

That's how people are though. You can't really expect people to be nice all the time and it's better to let people have a little bit of jabbing within reason. It's healthy for a community to let people have their little tiffs and move on rather than try to suppress them and let them fester. I was on quite a few sites that tried to more or less curb every single little dispute like this and it never works. It usually results in a community full of people with soft skins and they run to the staff every time someone disagrees with them. So long as they are not repeatedly harassing someone and you have the option to block them, I see no reason to go further than that.

2 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

People really shouldn't pay too much attention to a reaction, but calling someone crazy isn't a good way of maintaining civil discourse.

Then you block the person.

Just to add to this slightly, as I am paying attention, you constantly see emoticons used in a way that a person is obviously stating that they dislike the post, in far far more overt ways. Just like we would not needlessly remove some of those, we wouldn't needlessly remove just because some users are interpreting it in such a way that hurts their feelings. I often say that we should trust each other to act like adults, and that is my default perception of this issue. Using the crazy reaction to say, "your dumb!" is a bit juvenile, and since most of you don't act like children, why should we start managing to the exception? 

A little heads up, in the past many many fun and cool ideas died in committee because of this line of thinking. Should we continue to bow to the one or two less mature individuals, or should is it possible we can treat this as we would any thread we disagree with and just shrug, roll your eyes, and move on? 

This isn't the final word on this, that isn't how I work, but I did want to share my initial thoughts, if for nothing else than to show you how the wheels turn up here.

You can't see me, but I'm tapping my head. Anyway, thoughts?

• Brohoof 4

The reaction is hardly mean. It's actually better to leave the emote than to say how you ACTUALLY feel sometimes. Would you rather I actually spell out you're out of your mind or just leave an emote that you likely will take as a joke anyway? Whether you like it or not, people aren't perfect and sometimes they want to take a light jab at someone. It's not the end of the world and forcing them to hold in their annoyance with someone sometimes results in worse problems. It's better to let them get it out of their system and be done with it.

Yeah reaction is better and that's why I'm fine with the crazy reaction. It portrays a certain message but leaves lot up for interpretation which I think is good. But adding reaction like dislike which has kinda strict and solid meaning it doesn't really give you much to work with. 

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Just to add to this slightly, as I am paying attention, you constantly see emoticons used in a way that a person is obviously stating that they dislike the post, in far far more overt ways. Just like we would not needlessly remove some of those, we wouldn't needlessly remove just because some users are interpreting it in such a way that hurts their feelings. I often say that we should trust each other to act like adults, and that is my default perception of this issue. Using the crazy reaction to say, "your dumb!" is a bit juvenile, and since most of you don't act like children, why should we start managing to the exception? 

A little heads up, in the past many many fun and cool ideas died in committee because of this line of thinking. Should we continue to bow to the one or two less mature individuals, or should is it possible we can treat this as we would any thread we disagree with and just shrug, roll your eyes, and move on? 

This isn't the final word on this, that isn't how I work, but I did want to share my initial thoughts, if for nothing else than to show you how the wheels turn up here.

I agree, less restriction is better in this case. If we start bending the site to basically stop any instance of anyone ever being offended the community will crumble. It will earn the site a reputation of being "uptight" and a "no fun zone". It's needless policing that will offer no benefit to the site and in the past I have seen this same mentality kill a site entirely over the long term.

Let the users grow some thicker skin or learn to just ignore people. Catering to thin skin people never helps them grow stronger or strengthens the community.

1 minute ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

Yeah reaction is better and that's why I'm fine with the crazy reaction. It portrays a certain message but leaves lot up for interpretation which I think is good. But adding reaction like dislike which has kinda strict and solid meaning it doesn't really give you much to work with. 

I was merely suggesting it as a potential compromise.

I personally become very offended whenever I receive the "Crazy" reaction on any of my posts, and I would be correct in that many other people feel the same way. I request that it be removed and replaced with a less extreme version of it.

I am currently on another website (that shall remain unnamed) that has a very strict policy: you mess up once, you're done. The moment someone reports you, you are banned from the site for good. Currently it is a very strict but efficient and happy site to be at. I'm not saying MLP Forums should develop a similar system, I am just saying that anyone who uses the "Crazy" reaction for example should ALWAYS explain their actions.

17 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

I think a laughter reaction would be more useful, but I wouldn't mind whatever happens.

That might not help, because using an LOL reaction to a post that is stressful, angry, sad, or any other negative emotion can implicate the user is laughing AT someone than with or for.

1 minute ago, Feather Scribbles said:

I am just saying that anyone who uses the "Crazy" reaction for example should ALWAYS explain their actions.

It's clear to me, though, that some people see "Crazy" as a joking compliment, as if to say they found something funny. If you say something funny and someone replies with "Crazy", it's most likely a compliment. If someone replies "Crazy" to a serious post, then I see your point.

2 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

That might not help, because using an LOL reaction to a post that is stressful, angry, sad, or any other negative emotion can implicate the user is laughing AT someone than with or for.

... LOL being offensive now?

Are we supposed to basically shield everyone from anything that may potentially offend them? Where will it end?

I say no. No movement to restrict the users further because it's clear by posts like this that we'll never see an end to it. First it was the crazy emote is not okay, then even an LOL emote would offend people. It's clear that if we give in to demands like this we'll soon be getting tons more.

I know I'll get a lot of "crazies" for this, but I don't like the reaction system very much to begin with. I think it has a lot of repetitive reactions (the "yay", "smiley", and "thanks") and since they don't increase your brohoof count I don't really see the point of them. I honestly think this reaction system was more trouble than it was worth.

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, Feather Scribbles said:

I personally become very offended whenever I receive the "Crazy" reaction on any of my posts, and I would be correct in that many other people feel the same way. I request that it be removed and replaced with a less extreme version of it.

I am currently on another website (that shall remain unnamed) that has a very strict policy: you mess up once, you're done. The moment someone reports you, you are banned from the site for good. Currently it is a very strict but efficient and happy site to be at. I'm not saying MLP Forums should develop a similar system, I am just saying that anyone who uses the "Crazy" reaction for example should ALWAYS explain their actions.

This is a perfect example of how the crazy emote sometimes just means it sums up exactly how someone feels about a post: that is crazy. A site that restrictive is absolutely crazy.

Just now, Feather Scribbles said:

Ok I see now. Give off your crazy reaction after you wrote your comment down explaining why you deemed that person's post crazy provided that post is meant to be taken seriously and not as a joke. Failure to do that is an abuse of the reaction itself. Still it would be a double-edged sword to use that reaction if someone was making a joke comment/reply and your reaction for it is 'Crazy' with no explanation.

I would suggest place restrictions of 'Crazy' in Debate Pit and substitute it instead of 'Respectfully Disagree'.

5 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

LOL could also stand for "Lots of love". :3

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

If the conclusion is that the crazy reaction is too strong One suggestion could be rephrasing the crazy into something even more ambiguous, giving more room for interpretation and making it more soft and manageable in under more diverse contexts and situations. Though the message that was intended for the crazy reaction should/could also be evaluated when and if looking for a replacement. Or just remove it altogether if it looks like it generates more trouble than it's worth 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, ZethaPonderer said:

Ok I see now. Give off your crazy reaction after you wrote your comment down explaining why you deemed that person's post crazy provided that post is meant to be taken seriously and not as a joke. Failure to do that is an abuse of the reaction itself. Still it would be a double-edged sword to use that reaction if someone was making a joke comment/reply and your reaction for it is 'Crazy' with no explanation.

I would suggest place restrictions of 'Crazy' in Debate Pit and substitute it instead of 'Respectfully Disagree'.

Or how about not? If we make it okay to report people for misuse of the "Crazy" emote then basically it leads to a lot of pointless reporting. People will report it any time they are personally offended even if it is harmless. It creates needless work for the staff when people should just learn to not care so much about an emote.