Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Naming an OC's children

Ganaram Inukshuk

These characters are growing on me and now I need help.

mlpfim_gem_butmom.thumb.png.1496f9cd14c3cfaa20be490f848aa2ee.pngScan0002.thumb.jpg.7d06f53bbfcbbfba9d912bccda4e4247.jpg

Key:

• Upper pic, left character -> Lower pic, right character
  • Upper pic, centre character -> Lower pic, left character (character already established)
  • Upper pic, right character -> Lower pic, centre character

What I already have:

• A general sense of what their colourations are
  • Whether they're male/colt or female/filly
  • A vague sense of their personalities
  • Ages; the filly should be 5-ish, the colt should be 7 or 8

What I don't have:

• Names
  • Cutie marks
  • A sense of size scale given their ages (don't mind that for now)
  • Anything that can explain the fact that the filly mixed up her mom's birthday with Mother's Day

Gem (the mother):

• Nickname: Gemmy
  • Cutie mark: See above
  • Other traits:
    • Single parent; the father died
    • Probably a computer engineer or computer scientist for an occupation; either way, she'd most likely be obsessed with technology and this would rub off on her kids

The filly:

• Nickname: Sis (as established by the older brother)
  • Cutie mark: unestablished; probably doesn't have a cutie mark yet
  • Other traits:
    • The youngest child and has never seen the father; has never phased here since she doesn't realise she ever had a father
    • Peculiar (see spoiler below for more info)
    • Likes to annoy her older brother
    • Likes to hang out with Gem a lot

The colt:

• Nickname: unestablished
  • Cutie mark: unestablished; most likely has one by now
  • Other traits:
    • Just imagine anything having to do with having an annoying little sibling and apply it here
    • Misses his father a lot but never likes to bring it up

The father:

• I'll most likely flesh out the father separately, but I've always thought of him being an astronomer and guitarist as a hobby; both of these traits will have likely rubbed off onto the colt

More stuff:

Spoiler

I imagine the filly having some sort of disorder, something on par with ADHD or autism, and Gem probably having the same exact thing; so far, I've imagined routine visits to a psychologist for both Gem and the filly. This is loosely based on what my own family has to go through. A recurring theme is Gem saying, "You know how your sister is."

I also imagine Gem going through a lot in her head from just trying to take care of two children on her own.

Of course, the colt has to be bottling up emotions. This is loosely based on what I had to go through.

There is an "uncle", even though this uncle is nowhere near related to Gem and is just a really close friend to Gem; the colt often likes to turn to the uncle for life advice. The uncle is either my OC self (second right character in my sig) or the other stallion OC I have (leftmost character in my sig); I've not established this yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible names and cutiemarks:

• Mother: Gemina (shortened to Gemmy or Gem), two silicon-based crystals (perhaps different types) since silicon is useful in electronics
  • Colt: Codeword (shortened as Cody), can't think of a cutiemark yet
  • Filly: not sure... I woulda suggested Snowcake but I already named my sister's OC that, so

For the filly's mistake, it could be that a classmate or other friend said there was one Mother's Day every month. I know my Aspie sister sometimes believes things simply because she was told by someone she knows and likes.