Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Urban Legends from your Country?

EightBit

Does anyone have any urban legends from their own country that they’d like to share? They can be scary, funny, stupidly mundane, etc. As someone who’s training to be a psychologist, I find things like these to be interesting, and it gives me an insight into how the people of the country think (eg. what they find to be frightening/funny compared to other countries). I’ll begin with an urban legend from my own country just to get things started. If the thread takes off, I’ll share more.

The urban legend that I’ll talk about is a well-known one that comes from my own country of Northern Ireland (different from Ireland, I assure you). I attend a university called Queen’s University in Belfast, and the university has several buildings. For example, there’s the main Lanyon Building, the Teaching and Learning Centre, etc. The buildings that I’ll be talking about are the David Keir Building (DKB) and the Ashby Building. Across from the DKB, there is a graveyard known as the Friar’s Bush Graveyard. The graveyard is the site of a mass grave filled with bodies from a cholera epidemic, to the point where a mound can be seen in the centre. Those who approach this mound are said to experience the sensation of hands touching them and clawing at their clothes.

Now, beneath the DKB, there is a maintenance tunnel. This tunnel stretches from the DKB to the nearby Ashby Building, and it runs adjacent to the graveyard. To this day, there is not a single staff member in that university who will willingly go down into that tunnel alone, and many absolutely refuse to. Those who have been down there attest to the fact that the tunnel, in some areas, becomes unnaturally cold. Voices can be heard, things can be seen, and perhaps most compellingly, the same sensations of the hands that can be experienced in the graveyard can be experienced in the maintenance tunnel.

As for what the people saw down there, nobody knows. I personally don’t believe in ghosts, but I have to wonder what they saw, or what they thought they saw, that was so traumatising that they refuse to speak about it.

In the United States in the state of Texas, I know of two urban legends.

There's a small Island on a lake called Lake Worth and there is this urban legend about a Goat Man. It's basically part goat part man.

There's another one called the Saratoga Ghost Lights. There are some weird orb light things there, this one is actually real for sure, but no one truly knows where these orbs come from. There are some different stories about these lights.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Lucid_Nightlight said:

In the United States in the state of Texas, I know of two urban legends.

There's a small Island on a lake called Lake Worth and there is this urban legend about a Goat Man. It's basically part goat part man.

There's another one called the Saratoga Ghost Lights. There are some weird orb light things there, this one is actually real for sure, but no one truly knows where these orbs come from. There are some different stories about these lights.

That’s quite cool. It seems that just about every country has some sort of urban legend about ghost lights. In my country, there’s a legend called the Bignian Light which supposedly comes down from the sky to direct people away from the Haunted Trees at night. The Haunted Trees are supposed to be the burial place of a vengeful Irish chieftain, and whatever the light is, it supposedly doesn’t want people to be targeted. The Bignan Light is unlikely to be real, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if your ghost lights ended up being will-o’-the-wisps.

Well, there is a castle in Romania called Castelul Bran.

The legend of Vampires started in Romania at first. One of its kings was called Vlad Tepes. He would kill his enemies by throwing them in pits of spears or hang them off long sharp poles. As generations passed, he became known as a person who was bloodthirsty and kills people. Something like a vampire.

His castle Castelul Bran is still around today. Many people say they still see his spirit lurking in the castle. There are also some dark passages in the castle that only God knows lives in them. 

• Brohoof 2

In Austria, close to the German Border, there is a Mountain called the Untersberg. The Mountain has at least three large Caverns inside it, and there are many tales about this Mountain in Correlation with unexplainable Phenomenons in the last few centuries....

Here are a few tales I know:

-Charlemagne didn't die, but was buried inside the Mountain with a entourage of Dwarves to sleep. It is said that when the crows stop circling the Mountain, Charlemagne will reawaken and restore The Holy Roman Empire.

-Approximately 400-200 years ago, a Marriage in a small village close to the Mountain was held.  After the Ceremony had ended, the People followed a road away from town and into the Mountain to celebrate in a huge Cave inside the Mountain. They celebrated for a long time, and eventually, the husband became drunk and passed out.

When the husband woke up again, everyone was gone. He left the cave to go back home, but found everything had changed drastically...

When he arrived back in the village and asked the Priest what happened, he answered him that the Priest which Married him had died a long time ago...

Approximately 100 years had gone by in mere two days.  (This Story started a lot of speculations about the Nature of the Mountain, some say there are working time Portals that activate just for a few hours on summer solstice, but nothing has been confirmed yet.)

-There are a lot of rumors about treasures, spirits, ancient runes that have been found somewhere close to it...

-If you want to know more, just ask. I got a 130 year-old book in which ~100 Additionaly Myths are listed.

Here are the Coordinates of the Mountain: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Untersberg/@47.6939715,12.9943733,13.66z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x477692f60d6e4b03:0xed2276681b40e539!8m2!3d47.7!4d12.9833333

-I linked some Videos about Phenomenons here as well, they're sadly all german.

The Mountain is just a few Kilometres from where I live, but I don't know anything about it.

Just thought you may be interrested in it.

My School is just 700 Meters eastwards from it.

• Brohoof 1

@Darkcoucou That's quite interesting, actually. With the exception of the story about Charlemagne, I've heard similar stories to that before, but I think they were just fairy tales rather than myths or legends. If you wanted to bring your post count up with a few more posts, I certainly wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't ask you to talk about the entire book of ~100 legends. That would be cruel. Haha! ^_^

This is more of a personal ghost story rather than an urban legend, but I find it interesting nonetheless.........

One time at least over ten years ago my great grandma and my aunt were both sitting in my great grandmas living room at her house, watching the TV, when the front door to the house burst open all by itself. They said they felt very cold air move past them and into the kitchen, and a few minutes later the cold air moved past them back through the living room, and seemed to go back out the front door. Apparently the previous owner of my great grandmas house had committed suicide by hanging himself in the kitchen :blink:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the story, as I tend to see the realistic side of things, but I don't necessarily deny the existence of ghosts either  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Darkcoucou said:

Glad you like it. :) 

But I think this should be enough as the most Videos are made by People who would wear hats made out of Aluminium foil... 

I laughed far more than I should have. ^_^

42 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

This is more of a personal ghost story rather than an urban legend, but I find it interesting nonetheless.........

One time at least over ten years ago my great grandma and my aunt were both sitting in my great grandmas living room at her house, watching the TV, when the front door to the house burst open all by itself. They said they felt very cold air move past them and into the kitchen, and a few minutes later the cold air moved past them back through the living room, and seemed to go back out the front door. Apparently the previous owner of my great grandmas house had committed suicide by hanging himself in the kitchen :blink:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the story, as I tend to see the realistic side of things, but I don't necessarily deny the existence of ghosts either  

Draught, maybe...? :blink:

Edited by EightBit

@King of Canterlot I wouldn't be surprised, actually. My front door did that for a time when the latch was damaged. See? Perfectly reasonable explanation. :lie: Seriously, though. It did. We quickly got it changed and the problem stopped.