Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Renewal of an Age

DarkArtificer

(edited)

Welcome to Renewal of an Age, an Equestrian, non-canon RP focused around bringing balance to the wonderful land of Equis.

Now, before we get down to character introductions, and eventually the RP itself, I want to lay down a few details, and yes, rules.

First off is about characters, including what I do, and don't, want from my RP'ers. 

Expect me to be the DM, which, in this case, is more of Directional Manager rather than Dungeon Master. I won't be a single player, but rather every NPC encountered.

Players should be 'average' Equis species. Ergo, Griffons (or Gryphons), Unicorns, Pegasi, Minotaurs, Deer, etc. No Alicorns, Tartarian prisoners, or god-like beings. There will be plenty of those already.

I will only have 3-5 players at a time. No less than three, no more than five. I also expect you to roleplay as the character you submit. If a fun-loving, partying character is submitted and a quiet, shy pony is played, expect to be spoken to and possibly removed.

Do NOT control another player's character. If your decision requires you making another user's character to do something as well, plan it out. Do not simply say:

I dodge backward as Player #2 blocks the swipe with her sword. Then, we both leap forward.

Now, moving on to role-play mechanics, there will be list of things to expect and remember.

1.) This will be done in a way vaguely similar to D&D. Emphasis on vaguely. Nothing along the lines of this:

Player #1: I dash forward, using 10ft of movement, to strike for 14 slashing damage.

But along the lines of this:

Player #1: I dash forward and swipe at the Manticore's chest with my sword.

2.) On the topic of being D&D-Inspired, there will be times in which you want to persuade, or intimidate, or steal, or something else. For anything requiring speech, it will work based on actual wording or phrasing. Let's say you want to persuade someone to give you something for free. This will not work:

Player #1: Come on, man, give me it. I won't spread the word about free stuff.

This may:

Player #2: Look, if you give my friend this, I'll spread the word about how this shop has a great supply and the owner is a kind stallion.

3.) There will be two types of Combat messages: Open-Ended and Closed-Ended.

Open-Ended is along the lines of this:

DM: The Manticore staggers back in pain before roaring. It swings it's paws at Player #1.

Player #1 now has the chance to say this: I dodge under it's swipes before delivering a swift kick to its knee.

Closed-Ended is this:

DM: The Manticore staggers back in pain before roaring. It swings it's claws at Player #1, striking him across the chest.

Player #1 has been injured with no way around it. Suffice to say, wording will be incredibly important so be sure to read messages closely.

4.) This RP will be a mix of action, adventure, and slice of life. It is also entirely open-world. Players could decided to go straight for the main goal, fall in love, flee the land to another country, or even join the evil and destroy the world. It is up to you what happens here. I just make the basic plot.

I would like character submissions to be as detailed as possible; name, history, relatives, personality, abilities, and a whole host of anything you might think to add.

Finally, when the RP begins, it will be done so as the players arrive at the Grand Galloping Gala.

Now, expect this post to be updated frequently as I add more information as well as expand on what is already here.

Lore

Long ago, in a time forgotten by mortal and alicorn minds alike, several beings walked across the skin of Equis. These beings were as powerful as they were alien, none of them born upon the land they roamed. Each had been brought to Equis by another, given new bodies and new names with which they fulfilled their tasks.

Gaea, Lady of Life, tasked with ensuring all life on the planet had a place. She brought balance between the myriad of species that called Equis home.

Thanatos, Lord of Death, tasked with ensuring the world always had a place for new life. He ferried souls to the realm they needed to go to, whether good or evil.

Tartarus, Lord of the Pit, tasked with punishing all true evil that ever came across his path. He ensured no being stepped out of their bounds.

Hades, Lord of the Underworld, tasked with providing an afterlife to those who did not warrant Tartarus. He, too, punished the wicked, as well as rewarded the good.

Hemera, Lady of the Day, tasked with bringing light to the world so they may see and grow. She guided mortals throughout their lives and gave them the time they needed to grow.

Nyx, Lady of the Night, tasked with bringing coolness and peace to the world. She gave mortals time to rest and prepare for the day ahead.

Aether, Lord of Light, tasked with spreading the good of souls across the world. He spread generosity and love to those who would listen.

Erebus, Lord of Darkness, tasked with spreading the evil of souls across the world. He spread hatred and greed to those who would listen.

Perses, Lord of Destruction, tasked with bringing an inevitable end to all things. He brought ruin across the world as was needed.

Finally, Chaos, Master of Creation, tasked with rebuilding the world from any damage. Their power was great and all encompassing.

One day, Erebus discovered a way to corrupt his fellow Masters. One by one, each fell under his fiendish control until all the world was corrupt. Mother, the being who brought all the Masters together, sought to fix this mistake.

Each Master was taken and locked away, sealed in an eternal slumber. Mother reached out across her world and created the Spirits. Each Spirit represented a Master, taking their place until the time came for them to be awoken and purified.

Of all the Spirits, only two were documented; Spirit Celestia and Spirit Luna, blessed of Hemera and Nyx. Eight others were unaccounted for.

The time has come for the Masters to awaken. 

Submit Characters

Edited by DarkArtificer
Player list deleted, moved to OOC thread.

Hey, this is a pretty cool plot. I’d definitely be interested in joining!

Quick question though, I know you request using an Equis species. And since this is your world, I’m wondering if a diamond dog or it’s equivalent would be okay to use for your story? If not I do have a Pegasi I could play as instead.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:15 AM, DarkArtificer said:

@Alex Van Gamer Yes, a Diamond Dog is completely acceptable. It may not be 'Equestrian' but it is from Equis, which is the important bit.

Wonderful!

On 6/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, DarkArtificer said:

When you submit your character, I would prefer as much detail and information as you are willing to give. It will make my job easier if I can understand your character.

And that's completely understandable. [This] would be the character I'd be playing. This was made for the purposes of the EqE RP section, however I did write it a few years ago, and I can't edit it, so some of the information on her personality has been removed since then.

That in mind, please disregard the paragraph talking about her flirtatious behavior. And although she may crack a joke or two to keep the mood light, some of these jokes might or might not make sense.

Hopefully everything else is accurate, as I did only briefly skim through this between available breaks. But let me know if you have any other questions about her or if certain parts of her history may need revising for the story you have planned.

@Alex Van Gamer I'm checked over your OC's profile and I must say, I love the concept of her. It's interesting and fresh. I also like the fact that your name and avatar are her.

I don't see any problems with her history, nor with the personality listed, even the removed bit. She seems like a character that would be fun to interact with, while also having realistic flaws.

As the updated topic says, the role-play will begin at the Grand Galloping Gala. How would you feel about Alex having been invited to better relations between ponies and Diamond Dogs, as well as to prove that not all Diamond Dogs are greedy?

@DarkArtificer Oh well thank you! I certainly put a lot of time into her character, so I’m happy to hear that she has a personality that seems reasonable and a backstory that works for the plot.

As for her reasons for attending the gala, I think that’s a great idea! She’d probably be a bit nervous, but determined to try and make a good impression!

• 3 weeks later...

Top tier lore, man.

Would you like your player in Stoic Blue:

Spoiler

Greedy yellow:

Spoiler

or mischevious grey:

Spoiler

I don't have a huge preference. You're the DM so I assume you know what would be more engaging. I could also try to play all of them if you like them all, but my posts are going to take a while as a result.

@Loud Opinion First, I love the way you introduced all three characters.

On to the matter at hand, I think Blue Thorn would be best suited for Renewal of an Age. His ability to bring ponies and other species together will be invaluable for this adventure. Not only that, but his desire to be apart of something bigger is very open-ended and can be harnessed rather effectively in this story. He seems no stranger to hardship, of which there may be plenty in this adventures, and would be able to easily handle some of the situations needed, unlike, say, a noble. 

@Jedishy Well, I like both characters. Winter Bolt would be able to keep the spirits of the group up while also providing a bit of comedy. He would also be able to help the progression of the group. The downside is that his overactive nature in winter may cause problems for the group.

On the other hand, Puzzle would be useful as well. He would provide an effective ability to solve situations as they arise. His natural curiosity could make him good at discovering things or figuring out solutions from minimal information. His downside is that he is very young, merely 15 years old.

As it is, the choice remains entirely up to you. Both characters are easily acceptable.

@Loud Opinion

@Jedishy

@Alex Van Gamer

As stated to Alex Van Gamer, I'd like to start the RP at the Grand Galloping Gala. In this story, the GGG is rather different. Rather than a networking party for the rich and the influential, it would instead be a party for all the citizens of Equestria. Everyday ponies and other species would be invited, slowly dissolving the barriers between Commoner, Nobility, and Royalty. 

As for the RP itself, I intend to wait a day or three before beginning the RP. While I have no problems with three players, I'd much prefer four. I will post another comment tagging each of you and containing a link when the RP officially begins. Is there any problems with this plan? I am well aware that some times are simply not good times for people.

• Brohoof 2

@Strong Copper Quite fortunately, you aren't too late. You'll also likely be the remaining player; I'd prefer four and no more. 

First, I must say I like your character. His nature as a monster hunter as well as a researcher may come in quite useful on this journey. He's already used to travelling, making this no different than what he is used to, though it may be for a different reason. His generous nature at taking no more than what others are able to afford will also endear him to many communities on the adventure.

As with the other characters, Strong Copper will have been invited into the Grand Galloping Gala due to his well-known nature; word does get around quite easily. 

@Alex Van Gamer

@Loud Opinion

@Jedishy

@Strong Copper

It seems time has come for the roleplay to begin. The OOC thread is found here:

(edited)

@woodchunks66 Grammar could use a little work, truthfully, but I see no other problems. I have no problems with you joining the roleplay, and, if you wish, I can have you introduced now. Is that acceptable?

Edited by DarkArtificer
Tense errors.

1 minute ago, DarkArtificer said:

@woodchunks66 Grammar could use a little work, truthfully, but I see no other problems. I have no problems with you joined the roleplay, and, if you wish, I can have you introduced now. Is that acceptable?

heheh sorry I kinda wrote it just know, promise ill do better in the rp.

Yeah I complete fine with being introduced now!

@woodchunks66 Just for the record, try to tag people with the @ symbol, it makes for a much more streamlined post. As for the mistakes, a few simple ones are fine. I just want to avoid major mistakes, though there weren't many of those. Your characters full name is Survivor Hoof?

• Brohoof 1