Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does a person's body or personality mean more?

Feather Scribbles

(edited)

If you were to date someone, what would you say is more important to you, and in general? A person's body (ie they have to be above average or hot), or their personality? Do they matter equally?

Bonus: Say someone has an average body (a 6 or a 7 out of ten), but they are witty, kind, interesting, intelligent, funny, etc. Would you date them, even if their body is not a 9.5/10?

Edited by Feather Scribbles

Personality for sure. I know that appearance of the body does matter as well, but if your body is unattractive because of a problem that you are in your power to fix, that shows laziness and complacency in your personality. So I still value personality more.

(edited)

Personality. If a particular girl really appreciates me and I feel really happy being around then... why I would have to mind body? Well, except for obesity .-.

Edited by YourElectricityBill
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think they're honestly comparable factors. If I say I really like a person's body, their appalling personality may still land them on my nope list. On the other side of the coin, a person could have a terrific personality but be riddled with a... we'll say severely compromised physical prowess, then I would also say no. Or I might say yes. Those two elements of a person are partial only to their own respective traits in my eyes. A person could have a great personality, be a total hunk and I would still maybe say no. I think there's a lot of little details to two people's chemistry that those two things don't fully encompass. If I had to answer which I thought was a more appealing aspect, I would have a hard time telling you anything honestly.

Personality. Theres a saying "beauty isnt only skin deep." And i dont care if a woman is absolute perfection, if she is a scummy person im not going on a date with her.

• Brohoof 1

Sounds stereotypical, but it's what matters on the inside. You don't have to be a 9, 8, or whatever. If I generally feel happy being around them, that's all that matters to me..

You should enjoy someone for who they are, not what they look like.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well kinda... Since I'm ripped and have a six pack, I would like to date a turbo cute girl who is skinny. Even though I do have a girlfriend who matches my description above. Still, i would like to date girls who are funny, smart, enjoyable, friendly, and warm to everyone. 

Edited by Sondash Studios

Everyone says personality... but they use appearance to decide if that personality is worth learning about. >_>

People are not one thing or the other, they are a complex combination of things that repel and attract a whole assortment of individuals, both selfish and benign.

• Brohoof 1

This seems like a quesiton to suss out the shallow. *laughs* No, personality means more than body, and I've experienced that myself with a past relationship. Guy wasn't my body type in the least... but I fell in love with him and suddenly that didn't matter. Of course, we ended the relationship after some off and on, we didn't want the same things out of the relationship so we ended it on good terms. And now I have my husband.  Lovely man in all manner of ways, (which this probably doesn't help the argument, but has a smoking hot body.)

(edited)
On 6/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, GrimGrimoire said:

Everyone says personality... but they use appearance to decide if that personality is worth learning about. >_>

People are not one thing or the other, they are a complex combination of things that repel and attract a whole assortment of individuals, both selfish and benign.

^This^

What means more depends on what a person wants to get out of a relationship. If they want nothing but physical gratification they won't be looking far beyond the surface. But even those who say it's all about the personality would probably admit to themselves (if not to others) that first impressions are what opens or closes the door to further contact. I'm not saying they're judging a person by attractiveness alone as much as using appearance to gain an insight into the personality inside. Physical attributes can say a lot about a person; the way they carry themselves, act around others and even dress, and these factors can influence interest. So while the physical may not be what most people are specifically after, it's often a clue as to what they're really trying to find in a personality.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

personality stays forever,while body will last only for some years,so it depends on what kind of relationship you're looking to built,
that said,first impression is always based on looks since you can't actually see their personality before you get to know them

• Brohoof 1

Personality for sure, because as stated looks fade. My uncle married for looks, and her looks went away as soon as she turned a certain age. Now hes unhappy and takes it out on others. I prefer someone who can make me think and laugh, rather than be eye candy.

• Brohoof 1

I think a lot of people often say something along the lines of "Personality is the only thing that matters, you shouldn't care at all about looks". Personality is by far more important then a person's looks, though I think everyone cares about looks as well. Looks shouldn't be a deciding factor but it can definitely influence your opinions on the person (And if they're even worth talking too at all like an above post mentioned) 

If I found someone who had a amazing personality but I didn't find them attractive, I'd likely still be with them. I tend to find for me at least that my attraction for someone's looks changes as I bond with them more.

Like when I went out with a Ex years ago,  I didn't think he was that attractive but I loved his personality so I went out with him. However as I bonded with him and eventually loved him, I soon found him very attractive and super cute! :D

• Brohoof 1

If I didn't like someone's personality and they didn't like mine, there'd be little interest in what they look like. Looks are a nice bonus if someone's got 'em, but they don't make or break the deal.

If you care more about one than the other, then you are not being honest with yourself. Say you favor personality over looks, would you date someone with a great personality but weighs over 400 lbs because of a medical condition? Most people would not. We tell ourselves that we are not shallow but physical attraction is part of the equation. If you found someone with a great looking body but they were your total opposite, would you date them? Probably not. For me, it’s a balance between the two, they both have to be there in some way. There are also little variables to determine if someone’s personality will work with yours. Their quirks may be something you can live with or something you can’t. Other than that, this is my best answer.

• Brohoof 5