Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc MLP Magic Academy OOC (Closed)

JCKane

(edited)

The RP: 

This Thread is now officially the OOC for the MLP Magic Academy RP.  We are still open for anyone who would still like to join.  Please post in here if you would like to do so.

Long story short, the RP is set in Equistria and is about a special Magic Academy.  This academy is not too unlike Celestia's Magic school but is considered a lot tougher.  The school has dormatories and everypony lives on campus.  The location of the Magic Academy is in Equistria along one of it's borders.

However, it's not just for Magic users, "aka Unicorns/Alicorns" as the school also teaches 'potions' for anypony who's not magically inclined... Ofcourse, the potions majors are typically seen as the 'lower class'.

The head mare of the school is an OC I created named: Sunshine Daisy.  (pic to come soon.)  She's a Unicorn who can be pretty strict as with the school.   There will also be an interesting 'mystery' going on about the school.

Now, for the most part, I will also be controlling all 'known' characters from the TV series.  While they may make appearances, they will take on a minor role.  (but really unless I have a reason/SL for one of them to show up... they'll most likely not make an appearance.)

So the list of things for your character(s): 

-For now a max of 3 characters per person.  If you're active enough and you want to more, let me know and I'll see about it.

-No Alicorns.  Your OC cannot be a Alicorn.  I'm sticking to the FIM series and only having the 5 Alicorns.

-If you wish, and I think you can do it justice, you may pick a known character to use in the RP.  However, I will need a good reason to why they'd be joining the school.  Just note, that you may not choose Princess Celestia, Princess Luna or Discord.

-Spike... pretty much, if you want to play as Spike... I prefer that either, you pick up Twilight as well, or that someone already has Twilight.  Primarily because I'm grouping these two together and Spike would only join the school as an assistant to Twilight.  Ofcourse, you will need a pretty good reason as to having Twilight Join.  Which we can discuss if you want to play as Twilight.

-Dropping a 'Known' character... Pretty much if you are RPing as a known character and you leave the RP, the control of said character will return to me.  This is also true if you simply do not wish to continue RPing as said known character but still wish to continue with the RP.  Even if you wish to give the character to someone else... they (or both of you) will need to contact me and I will allow or disallow the transfer.

-Only Ponies.  In keeping with the FIM series, I'm adding this because from what I understand, there really isn't other school's that offer enrollment to non-ponies, not counting Twilight's school of friendship.  The only exception to this rule would be Spike...as explained above.

-For now, I would prefer your OC to not be from like an alternate dimension.  While this is a preference, I can deny a character by this if I choose.  It really depends on the rest of the character tbh.  But again, please avoid them being from another dimension.

-I will be restricting ponies of a younger age.  (CMC age or younger) I prefer they be around the Mane 6's age or older.  But exceptions can be made.

-Now, as stated above, Pegasus and Earth Ponies are allowed to attend the school.  But remember their primary study is potions.  They will not be having any classes in which they will learn magic.  Only Unicorns will have Magic based classes.  (Yes I know my OC Shadow Flare breaks this rule... but... I'm making it an exception for the RP.)

-If you like, you may have one of your characters be a member of the Academy Facilty.  I can give you more details if you're interested.  But I do want more people as Students than facilty.

-Remember you may choose rather they are new to the school or been there awhile.  For the most part it's up to you.  But Senoirs (as in nearly complete) aren't allowed.  (yes you can eventually get to being one... but not at the start of the RP.)

-Romances are allowed.  Obviously stick to the site rules when it comes to them.

-Leaving the RP, felt I'd go ahead and add this in here so you know.  But if you're going to leave the RP, please not only let me know, but write out your character.  Or give me permission to do so.  And unless you specifically ask for something else, I'll have the character get expelled from the Academy and they'll get their things and leave.  If at some point you wish to return to the RP, then we can work something out.

Anyways, if I'm forgetting something.  I'll be sure to add it.  So let me know if you're interested.  (ok... I don't know what's going on... But those 'link' things first overlapped then deleted part of my post... so I have to retype the part out... assuming I can remember it all. But if I remember)

My main character(s) will be Shadow Flare and Solar Spout.  Their sheets can be found below (and Sunshine Daisy's when I finisher hers.)

Edited by JCKane
Closing RP (took me long enough :P )
  • Brohoof 1

Sounds really neat! There are a whole lot of School based RPs popping up that are getting really popular. I have no doubts that your will end up the same way. Good luck!

Here's hoping.  Ofcourse, I had another idea for a RP but it was more one-on-one style (not that I don't mind a 1on1 RP)  And after re-creating Solar Spout... I decided to try this one.

• Brohoof 1

It's another OC I created.  In my 'original' idea for Shadow Flare.. she was one of the characters in the storylines and had a connection to Shadow Flare.  Working on re-creating her on the Pony creator actually. :)

18 minutes ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

Oh, there is nothing wrong with doing more than one RP at once.

Already am actually.  :P

45 minutes ago, JCKane said:

-Now, as stated above, Pegasus and Earth Ponies are allowed to attend the school.  But remember their primary study is potions.  They will not be having any classes in which they will learn magic.  Only Unicorns will have Magic based classes.  (Yes I know my OC Shadow Flare breaks this rule... but... I'm making it an exception for the RP.)

Can I be honest? For you to make an exception for your oc only seems a bit... biased? It would be weird to only have one "non-unicorn" as an exception. I think you should either allow all or none, including your own character.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Dynamo Pad said:

@JCKane

Hey. I was reading the idea of the RP and I think this is pretty interesting. I know you said there will be a mystery to the academy, but what are the themes of the RP?

Can you clarify what you mean by themes?

13 minutes ago, StrawCherry said:

Can I be honest? For you to make an exception for your oc only seems a bit... biased? It would be weird to only have one "non-unicorn" as an exception. I think you should either allow all or none, including your own character.

For one, it's one of the parts of the plot and... not to sound rude... it is my RP, I'm allowed to make exceptions for my characters.  Which it still stands.  Only Unicorns are allowed to use magic not counting this one character.  

Which I don't want to sound unfair either, as I've set up most of the rules to be fair.  And really this is the only real exception to the rules given for others for the characters they are allowed to use in the RP... Unless you count how I'll be controlling Princess Celestia, Luna, and Discord... but as I stated, most known characters that I control, unless I have a specific SL/plot point that involves said character, they won't really make an appearance.  And tbh, I removed Celestia for "DM" purposes as she's the Ruler of the kingdom.  Luna for a similar reason but more for something I have in mind with the character later in the RP... and Discord because he's too OP.

Edited by JCKane

@JCKane

Just now, JCKane said:

Can you clarify what you mean by themes?

Oh, I meant themes like romance, slice of life, etc. 

Also, would my OC, Dynamo Pad, fit well in the RP? Here's a link to his character page. 

1 minute ago, Dynamo Pad said:

@JCKane

Oh, I meant themes like romance, slice of life, etc. 

Ah that... uh, not really sure what it'd fall under.  But romances are 100% allowed.  (I never deny romance in any of the RPs I've ever done :P )

And, well, the plot is that you're a student at the Magic Academy... it does have 'day to day' type things going on as the ponies will be learning magic/potions.  Some Drama added into the mix with various plots...  So it's pretty open, as long as they stay in the Academy.  As that's the primary setting.

There will be an overarching plot though.  As the Magic Academy has a 'dark secret'.  But it'll be mostly open and said overarching plot will probably be more subtle.

6 minutes ago, Dynamo Pad said:

Also, would my OC, Dynamo Pad, fit well in the RP? Here's a link to his character page. 

Let me read it and I'll let you know :)

@JCKane

Ah, okay. That's good to know and thank you for letting me know. If my character fits in the story, then I'm all for participating in the RP. I've never done an school based RP before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. :) 

1 minute ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

You know, I’d like to join but Mike McGuffin seems like the exact type of person to not end up working in this type of RP. 

Considering I know nothing about him. :P

• Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, JCKane said:

For one, it's one of the parts of the plot and... not to sound rude... it is my RP, I'm allowed to make exceptions for my characters.  Which it still stands.  Only Unicorns are allowed to use magic not counting this one character.  

Which I don't want to sound unfair either, as I've set up most of the rules to be fair.  And really this is the only real exception to the rules given for others for the characters they are allowed to use in the RP... Unless you count how I'll be controlling Princess Celestia, Luna, and Discord... but as I stated, most known characters that I control, unless I have a specific SL/plot point that involves said character, they won't really make an appearance.  And tbh, I removed Celestia for "DM" purposes as she's the Ruler of the kingdom.  Luna for a similar reason but more for something I have in mind with the character later in the RP... and Discord because he's too OP.

Fair point that it's your roleplay, but you do need other people to make it work and thus I think everyone's opinion matter. I was contemplating joining, but once I read that; I was no longer interested in my honest opinion. But who am I, right? The concept is very interesting though, I'll give you that.

That aside, how is it going to work exactly then? A Pegasus in a magic class? How are they going to use that magic exactly? I am curious.

@Dynamo Pad

Finished reading your character and I have to say, I do like the character.

As for him in the RP, well, I have a possible idea to add him to the 'overarching' plot I mentioned but aside for that I have 2 questions.

1) in his backstory you mentioned his horn began to glow and suddenly he was able to do better at the game.  Could you explain what was actually happening?  As in why his horn was glowing and if some kind of magic was used?

2) Like I said I like the character, but I have to ask, why would he join a school that's primarily for Magic and potions?  This is not me denying the character, but curious as to why he would.

1 minute ago, StrawCherry said:

Fair point that it's your roleplay, but you do need other people to make it work and thus I think everyone's opinion matter. I was contemplating joining, but once I read that; I was no longer interested in my honest opinion. But who am I, right? The concept is very interesting though, I'll give you that.

That aside, how is it going to work exactly then? A Pegasus in a magic class? How are they going to use that magic exactly? I am curious.

Shadow Flare?  I explained it in her character thread that I linked above.  But long story short, it's because she can use magic without a horn... But it's super unstable... which is why she was sent to the school in the first place.  Which also has to do with the 'overarching plot'.

@JCKane

Awesome and I'm glad you like the character. To answer your questions:

1. His horn was able to glow when he was beginning to feel in tune with video games. When he was becoming more focused on the game, it was as if he was able to find the magic from within him. I would say if any magic was used, then he was using magic on the controller. Something along the lines of being ambidextrous when it comes to using a video game controller.

2. I can see him joining the school to get a better hold of his magic. He can use spells, but not to the best degree. Maybe he could try to discover a new type of video game magic, or try to see if there's another gaming universe in the world. Even if it would only be in theory, but it would mostly for him to have a better control at his magic and learning new spells and such. 

9 minutes ago, Dynamo Pad said:

@JCKane

Awesome and I'm glad you like the character. To answer your questions:

1. His horn was able to glow when he was beginning to feel in tune with video games. When he was becoming more focused on the game, it was as if he was able to find the magic from within him. I would say if any magic was used, then he was using magic on the controller. Something along the lines of being ambidextrous when it comes to using a video game controller.

2. I can see him joining the school to get a better hold of his magic. He can use spells, but not to the best degree. Maybe he could try to discover a new type of video game magic, or try to see if there's another gaming universe in the world. Even if it would only be in theory, but it would mostly for him to have a better control at his magic and learning new spells and such. 

Ok.  Well then that should work fine then.  May have to hit you up some time after the RP starts and ask you about something... but that will be for then.

14 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Shadow Flare?  I explained it in her character thread that I linked above.  But long story short, it's because she can use magic without a horn... But it's super unstable... which is why she was sent to the school in the first place.  Which also has to do with the 'overarching plot'.

Doesn't that also contradict your "no alicorn" rule? Since she has wings and can use magic for one reason or another, she's technically an alicorn. She just lacks the horn. It seems to me like your character is going to be the OP one. Which isn't bad since it's, like you said, your roleplay. But it could potentially keep people from wanting to join. It sounds to me like you want to create your story with other people people rather than roleplay and create a story with them, meaning that I think you're going to want your character to be the main and have everything be about her. The rest are just going to be there to help you make it happen. Perhaps writing a fanfiction is a better idea for that. I do that when I want a story to go only my way.

Now I could definitely be wrong about my thoughts, but I'd rather be clear and speak my mind about something. I do not mean to be rude whatsoever. Since that's out, I will leave you to do your thing now.

@JCKane

Okay and sounds good to me. I have to go to work in a little while and I don't be back until around 5:30 pm EST. I should be free to start after work today. Just wanted to let you know, in case the RP starts while I'm at work. :) 

1 minute ago, StrawCherry said:

Doesn't that also contradict your "no alicorn" rule? Since she has wings and can use magic for one reason or another, she's technically an alicorn. She just lacks the horn. It seems to me like your character is going to be the OP one. Which isn't bad since it's, like you said, your roleplay. But it could potentially keep people from wanting to join. It sounds to me like you want to create your story with other people people rather than roleplay and create a story with them, meaning that I think you're going to want your character to be the main and have everything be about her. The rest are just going to be there to help you make it happen. Perhaps writing a fanfiction is a better idea for that. I do that when I want a story to go only my way.

Now I could definitely be wrong about my thoughts, but I'd rather be clear and speak my mind about something. I do not mean to be rude whatsoever. Since that's out, I will leave you to do your thing now.

Shadow Flare is part of the overarching plot. But it's not going to be the 'Shadow Flare' Show. Just like it won't be the 'D-Pad' Show.  It will feature everypony that joins.  And she's not OP persay.  Since I balance out her abilities with lack of control and her unwillingness to even use them.  Though, I will say I wish you had brought this to me via PM instead because I believe that since these concerns were brought out in the open like this, it may cause people to turn away when they otherwise wouldn't of minded.  As I'm doing nothing wrong in my decision to exclude this one character from the rule... though as stated, she's technically not an Alicorn.

5 minutes ago, Dynamo Pad said:

@JCKane

Okay and sounds good to me. I have to go to work in a little while and I don't be back until around 5:30 pm EST. I should be free to start after work today. Just wanted to let you know, in case the RP starts while I'm at work. :) 

Ah.  Well, doubt the RP will start by then.  About to go to bed here soon. And I'd like to get more people.

@JCKane

2 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Ah.  Well, doubt the RP will start by then.  About to go to bed here soon. And I'd like to get more people.

Ah, okay and thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if it would be a 1 on 1 RP, or a group RP. I'm okay with either one, but I'm still looking forward to this RP. :)  

• Brohoof 1

For those other people, this RP is to be open for more than just one-on-one.  So if there's any other interested, please let me know.

I may go ahead and start the RP perhaps some time tomorrow or tonight, However, more players may join after it's started if they like.

• Brohoof 1

Will there be antagonists, instigators, or bullies to the school? I haven't made a character bio, but I do have a character that fits as a bully if needed. 

1 minute ago, Dynamo Pad said:

Will there be antagonists, instigators, or bullies to the school? I haven't made a character bio, but I do have a character that fits as a bully if needed. 

Do I have a specific character to fit some of those?  as of right now, no.  I was either going to create those characters as need be for various things or see about other's in the RP will have a character for it. So yeah if you want to add them you're more than welcome :)

But, one of the story points is that Shadow Flare is given grief for being a Pegasus in a Magic class.  As the Unicorn's of the school are treated with more uh.. dang the word escapes me... But the staff and the like sees them as more 'special/elite' than the non-Unicorns.  Some of the unicorns also share that mentality due to this, but not all of them.

7 minutes ago, JCKane said:

Do I have a specific character to fit some of those?  as of right now, no.  I was either going to create those characters as need be for various things or see about other's in the RP will have a character for it. So yeah if you want to add them you're more than welcome :)

But, one of the story points is that Shadow Flare is given grief for being a Pegasus in a Magic class.  As the Unicorn's of the school are treated with more uh.. dang the word escapes me... But the staff and the like sees them as more 'special/elite' than the non-Unicorns.  Some of the unicorns also share that mentality due to this, but not all of them.

Ah, okay and awesome. I was thinking of adding Dynamo's old bully from his younger years. A unicorn that believes that destiny and fate guides others to what they will become. He has that mentality that everyone is beneath him in terms of power, talent, abilities, etc. His mark is about constellations, so he's a stargazer. Yet, he looks to planetary alignment type of fate and such to know it'll be his time to shine. He plays games as well and feels cheated that he wasn't given the mark he felt destined to have. He belittles others and treats them as failures so that nobody will stand up to him. So, having the mentality that you speak of for the school will fit well. 

That makes sense and I know Dynamo isn't one to judge. He'll feel odd that there would be a mentality at the school, but he isn't one to judge Shadow Flare. :) 

Also, here's what the bully would look like. He goes by the name Cosmic Clown.

23172651_10208581304885082_7237917424827