Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Introducing the 2018 MLPF World Cup

Jeric

@Jeric I see that not all the teams are complete yet. Was it a wise idea to open up the clubs before all the teams were finalized? Cause now you have people scrambling to join the few teams that are up, while later teams will be at a disadvantage. 

Was it a mistake on my part to join late on team Maretonia when The Dragonlands, The Dream Realm and The Changeling Kingdom haven't even gotten past the wild card and captains phases yet? 

• Brohoof 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I'll have to wait a while for the one that Sunset is going to be a part of before I do anything.

Eh it shouldn't be too much longer now. All that needs to be finalized is whether Flutterbat or Silver Spoon join the team, then it should be open for your choosing within the next couple days.

Make sure you and Sunset take care of my favorite character. I expect you all to go far. :proud:

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 1
2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Jeric I see that not all the teams are complete yet. Was it a wise idea to open up the clubs before all the teams were finalized? Cause now you have people scrambling to join the few teams that are up, while later teams will be at a disadvantage

Most people joined a team based on the direct invite system. Most of Manehattan are well known Rarity fans, same with Trottingham and Ponyville. Ive been sending my share of invites within teams to people I know had an interest it a specific character. There will be some natural movement between the two. People will be able to switch teams freely until after the Wild Card (there will be at least a week's notice). 

And trust me, I couldn't launch all 32 teams simultaneously without losing what little hair I have. ;)

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Was it a mistake on my part to join late on team Maretonia when The Dragonlands, The Dream Realm and The Changeling Kingdom haven't even gotten past the wild card and captains phases yet

Nope you can leave a team and join another at will right now. 

• Brohoof 1

I’ve noticed a few of the various ponies have been appearing on the forums, could we have a link to all of their profiles?

1 hour ago, Nye said:

I’ve noticed a few of the various ponies have been appearing on the forums, could we have a link to all of their profiles?

Yep, when they all make an appearance I will do it then. I have a hidden topic for this very purpose. 

Just a heads up, do not hesitate to grab me in PM or status update if you are waiting longer than an hour to get into a team. I get notifications, but they can be buried and overlooked. Some teams have other coaches that I made Managers or Team Mods since the Team is a community thing and not a me thing, and Managers have the ability to add new people, but not all teams have one yet so if you are sitting there waiting .... hunt me down pls. :D

I was informed of the team club that Sunset is a part of, and it looks like I became the first member--not including Jeric. Uh... What does this mean exactly?

5 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I was informed of the team club that Sunset is a part of, and it looks like I became the first member--not including Jeric. Uh... What does this mean exactly?

Quite a few things actually. Stay tuned. 

• Brohoof 1
10 minutes ago, CherryAcorn said:

Can i create my own team??? :squee:

No, the teams are community voted, paired down from hundreds of characters. 

• Brohoof 1

As the Wild Card and Captain selections finally come to an end, some major things will start to happen before we kick off the World Cup Opening Ceremony. Each of these will have it's own thread (or several) explaining in detail. This is only a brief overview of what to expect. 

1) Each Team must choose a Manager if one wasn't chosen by me. 

2) Each Team must choose if they will enter the Draft Pool. This will be a list of characters who didn't make the cut during the wild card and select characters from Season 8 that will be designated Farm System characters. Basically, if you are happy with your roster, you will do nothing. This can be done via a poll created by the Team Manager or a discussion thread created by the team manager. Specifics will be posted the day the Wild Card is complete. 

3) Each Team will need to select a Fight Song, decide on any logo elements, what they want on their custom badge, banners, etc by 7/4/2018. I need to start on these ASAP. Post decisions in your Team Club pease. If I have nothing to go off of, I pick. 

4) I will draw the draft pool order. The first team pulled will have first pick on dropping and replacing ONE character. 

5) I will host a live stream of team selection into two conferences, each conference will have two divisions. I will then post a schedule of each match. The first round of the World Cup will be a Round Robin within each division. After each team in the division plays each other the TOP TWO teams in their divions progress to the TOP 16. Ties will be settled by an elimination playoff. This is huge guys, because I am not limiting the number of power teams (teams with Mane Six Characters) in each division. There is a chance (though unlikely) that four power teams will be in the initial divisions. Survive this round and your teams will have one last Trade and one last go at the Loser Pool. The loser pool will be defeated characters in the prior round. 

6) TOP 16 - the remaining teams will be consolidated into two divisions within their original conferences. A second Round Robin will commence and we will be left with the TOP 8 teams. From there will be a Knockout Round where the teams will be seeded based on record. 

Quarter Finals will be the TOP 4 teams in each conference. 

Semin Finals will be the TOP 2 teams 

And that leads to the World Cup Final. 

There will be some surprises throughout this event. The Narrative elements will be returning in force, and some live polls will be created to determine story beats ... and some sillyness. 

If you have noticed, some characters are making an appearance. Some or critical to the overarching narrative, however not all characters will appear. At least all the Mane Six, and one per team. Due to obvious reasons, Tempest Shadow will not make an appearance under that name.  That name, as long as I am staff, will be locked to the member that bore it here. If anyone has a specific request, yell at me. 

So that above does this brief overview. Questions .... hit me. 

• Brohoof 10
10 hours ago, Frostgage said:

Hype is officially building, or perhaps it's already built. Hopefully the Russians don't fix this draw like they did the football World Cup :pout:

Having anything against Russians? :orly:

3e6325314cc875fc7.jpg.c30e49c377075e339166ebb7aa7d9c14.jpg

• Brohoof 2
38 minutes ago, Cash In said:

Seems a little complex in some aspects, but I'm looking forward on seeing how this will play out.

It will seem overwhelming at first glance until everything starts happening. 

• Brohoof 2

Half G1 World Tag League, half King Of The Ring. Should be entertaining.

That reminds me, I need to commission somepony to draw the tag team championship belts the winning team will receive.

@Jeric If you need somepony to start doing color commentary during the matches or writing hype promo packages, you know who to call. ;)

• Brohoof 1
9 hours ago, Jeric said:

It will seem overwhelming at first glance until everything starts happening. 

Alright. 

I appreciate the heads up, nevertheless. 

• This topic was pinned, unpinned, unpinned, pinned, pinned, unpinned, unpinned and unpinned
  • The topic was pinned

@Jeric I've noticed that almost half the team clubs don't have any members other than yourself. Is it such a wise idea to restrict members to one club, when those members have flocked to teams with mane characters on them, leaving teams of backgrounds barren? 

1 hour ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Jeric I've noticed that almost half the team clubs don't have any members other than yourself. Is it such a wise idea to restrict members to one club, when those members have flocked to teams with mane characters on them, leaving teams of backgrounds barren? 

This was inevitable because some of the characters simply are not that popular. But yes it is necessary because my experience with the prior World Cup told me that collusion is a HUGE concern. There was a character disqualified due to cheating that completely influenced the entire tournaments outcome. Luna was slated to match up against Rarity and instead was DQ'd and Fluttershy took her spot. People rallied around Flutters because it became an interesting story when Rarity had an insane amount of momentum going into the Semifinals. Part of the reason that I am keeping voting visible is to make sure fake accounts are not altering things. But, my real concern is that by allowing one person to coach for multiple teams, people  will actually be able to manipulate the draft and trade system in a way that could give one team an insane unfair advantage while absolutely destroying all the empty teams. One of the reasons that every major sport has similar restrictions is to prevent this sort of manipulation by the teams' front offices. I can't be a DC for the Eagles and the Lions. 

Anyway, as teams are eliminated it should start evening out since those Coaches would be able to join any team at that point. So to answer your question, it isn't a mistake insofar as I predicted a 60% team vacancy rate. Also, as I will make very clear, if someone desires to be in an empty team, it gives them more direct control over Drafting. If their favorite character is in the Draft pool .... jumping on a empty team may be the only way to have said character back in play. ;)

Also, 

Beating you to it this time. 

full.png

:P