Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will smartphones be replaced by 2020?

heavens-champion

(edited)

Replaced by what? I don't really think they would just disappear or be completely replaced in just 2 years even if some new incredible stuff would just come out now.

Edit: 

Not really a fan of ear implants or stuff like that myself so I don't really see it happening.

Edited by Zhang Xiu Ying
  • Brohoof 2

VR and AR with intelligent AI for wearable or embedded computing, and communication is possible, but certainly not around the corner. Two years, is not enough. Legitimate smartphone oobsolescence will take fifteen years at least. 

1 minute ago, TheTaZe said:

I really don't understand this question. What will it be replaced by?

Think J.A.R.V.I.S. At least that is the prognostication from scientific and industrial futurists. 

• Brohoof 3

Ear implants? Do you mean Bluetooth ear peices because they have their use but they weren't a game changer for the industry as can be seen by the lack of every other person having one. Google glass failed and smart phones and tablets have found their niche by being incredibly diverse in the tasks they can accomplish in nearly any setting. The next step is durability for extreme circumstances, and making sure that you can stay connected no matter where you are on the planet. The latest technology that will become commonplace and essential will be Virtual reality systems. I think we've nearly mastered bringing technology into the environment, now a lot of focus will go into being able to shape that environment artificially.

Ear Pieces? I'm not exactly sure how they'd replace Smartphones, I don't really see the similarities. :confused:

I have a feeling you meant eye pieces which definitely wouldn't become commercial by 2020, it's way too early for that type of technology

Though it'd be quite cool to have my own EyePhone

maxresdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
6 hours ago, Sondash Studios said:

I don't know. I hope not. I still stuck with a Samsung Galaxy s4

Wow, we both have the same smartphone. :)

I don't think smartphones would be replaced that early but have a look at these:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7GpVQCfms

6 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

I really don't understand this question. What will it be replaced by?

Have a look at the video link.

Edited by An Admirer

1 hour ago, Code said:

Ear Pieces? I'm not exactly sure how they'd replace Smartphones, I don't really see the similarities. :confused:

I have a feeling you meant eye pieces which definitely wouldn't become commercial by 2020, it's way too early for that type of technology

maxresdefault.jpg

That'd be so cool!

I wonder how it would power it's self!

Send.

I think the first phone that is like that will come out in 2030 and eventually be as popular as smartphones are today

• Brohoof 1

2020 is far too early for such a product to disappear like that. I think smartphones, laptops and tablets will eventually merge into each other, but phones will still be very relevant for years to come.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/14/2018 at 12:51 AM, Code said:

They'd have to come up with a better way to implant it. I would not want it jammed into my eye socket.

No way. Ear implants? So the radiation can have an easier way of seeping into my brain? I mean, smartphones put out radiation but not enough to do harm in the short term. Long term, its safe to say some minor defects can occur.
Also its a major design flaw. If its in both ears how would we hear? You can argue putting holes in the earpeice will rectify that, but it wouldnt if any part of the canal is obstructed. So we would see a lot of Darwinism in effect.
We also tried glasses with the same base problem. People were distracted, or their senses suffered from the glasses that they walked into traffic or poles or walls. Funny, but dangerous. If anything Smartphones will be replaced by huger folding smartphones...think of the DS mixed with a flip phone from the early 00's. Two big screens? Easy folding and storage? People would eat that up faster than I ate up the Iphone X

• 5 months later...

I don't think smartphones are going to have any major shakeups in the next few years. Though I guess you could say foldable displays could lead to some interesting developments, depending on how well that R&D goes. After that though, I have no idea what the next thing will be. It might even be all about the software after that point rather than hardware.

Edited by Celtore

Nah. Smartwatches are a money-making gimmick, Google Glass never took off and laptops are the same fixture they were in 2007. Smartphones aren’t going anywhere soon.

Edited by Arkadios

I hope not. Sometimes I fear that technology is developing so fast we don't get the full impact of the last one.

In any case, even if the technology will be developed, I doubt it will be very popular. Smartphones combine the concreteness of having one's own phone and computer to be carried in one's pocket, and I think a lot of people like having something to hold on to. Ear implants sound way too radical a change to replace the smartphone so soon.

Doubt so. Although I believe that augmented reality glasses are not really far away in the future. There's already been augmented reality car windshields.

But giving an estimate in years is a whole new problem. You never know when somebody will make a random breakthrough.