Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forums you have previously joined (besides MLP-related forums)?

Jon the VGNerd

Now, before I proceed any further, please note that if this thread ends up going overboard, I'll understand if a moderator/admin locks this thread because heated arguments are never a good thing, just a heads up is all. What forums have you previously joined before you left for a number of reasons? I had a few number of forums joined prior to leaving:

Game Informer: Its one of the biggest forums I had ever joined back in 2006, and despite the ups and downs, still had a good time throughout the years. However, after years went by, at least in 2010, the forums had a huge update which halted all activity altogether, with many older users having left en masse and never returned ever since, moved on as well. I returned and tried to find signs of life in the forums, but it seems that the Game Informer forums have since become a ghost town. Nobody was posting anything at all so it's basically just an empty void.

ScrewAttack: I joined there because of Death Battle, obviously. Unfortunately, my activities were sparse over there and it's become a huge request-fest with poor matchups as well, including other people who nitpick at others, even though their suggestions are right. The community itself is rather questionable, in terms of activity, especially since the majority of posts are solely focused on Death Battles; every other thread sections are a total wasteland. I like the forums, but at the same time, I don't like it because of the community environment.

SCS Software forums: Notably popular for the games such as Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim, though the community itself goes a long way, especially from the lack of adequate moderation (and if there is, it's because they don't like quotes from a previously posted thread and remove them on sight). And then you have plentiful of people who get seriously snippy at others for pointing out flaws, even though users have the right to either criticize or praise one's work yet they clearly start instigating on one another over the smallest mistakes, including mods that were not up to date. I won't lie, there are certain amount of users (who also did their work as well for creating mods) tend to be openly hostile to other users and issues are often never resolved from heated arguments due to nonexistent activity from both moderators and admins who are not always active.

There you have it.

• Brohoof 2

I've only been on one forum before, from what I can remember. It was a Dutch forum for The Sims. I "left" because I just... didn't come online anymore. I still go there now and then for certain things but I'm no longer an active member for no reason in particular. :lie:

I haven't used very many... but these two come to mind when I think of Forums I've used. :grin:

Toho Kingdom: Being a massive Kaiju fan, this was inevitable. While I am still very fond of the Godzilla films... there's not a whole lot in the way of discussing them anymore; all of the conversations have been had, really. The only thing we have left in the Monsterverse, but even then... the next film is a ways away.

GameFAQs: I'll admit; this site is worth checking out just to see how horribly it's moderated! ^_^ Seriously, the boards are just chaos! It's almost like MLPF's evil twin or something. Needless to say, I don't hold this forum in high regard... but there are genuinely interesting conversations to be had, they're just very fleeting.

That's about it, really. MLPF is the only Forum I've really committed to. :fluttershy: The rest are either stagnant, very hostile, or don't meet my interests.

• Brohoof 3

I joined Donald duck forums when I was like 8-10 years old was there for a while but not really long so I really wouldn't call that an experience on interacting with other people on a regular basis  in an internet community.

(edited)

I've used various forums over the years. I won't be mentioning exact names – the posts I've made on some forums are just too cringeworthy. :please:

The first forums I joined were related to Pokémon – I was nine back then. :lol: Let's just say I was way too immature for forums, and I left after just a few weeks as one of the least liked members. :P

There have been a lot of forums that I have visited for a while, but few have kept me interested for more than a while. Most of the forums have been cartoon-related, though I also used to be pretty active on a motorsport-related forum. This is the only MLP forum I have posted on, and in less than a year, it has become my favorite forum of all time! :pinkie:

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

VirtualTeen Forums- A teen-oriented forum I joined back in 2011, and left around  mid-2015. It was a really friendly place while I was there, but I left because the place was slowly dying, and most of the users I was familiar with were leaving. It also felt weird to stay, considering I was about to turn 18 at the time. It was where I was introduced to the brony fandom, and where I initially found people that were actually weird enough to relate to. It would be nice to come back to it, if it wouldn't just feel so wrong.

Paladins Forums- A Paladins game forum I joined when I started playing the game February of last year. I had a few friends there (including a few people I queued with a few times), but aside from that it was an abysmal toxic cesspool of c*** that I would never like to come back to again. The moderator (yes there was only ONE) was a total s***head and banned people for almost no reason aside from a bruised ego and just to be a cruel masochistic a**. It really didn't help the case that Hi-Rez was not listening to the community whatsoever, and would SUPPRESS opinions that they didn't like at the time. I was banned from there October of last year, and I wouldn't come back even if I could. I hate drama, you all know that.

Edited by Barik

2 hours ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

Now, before I proceed any further, please note that if this thread ends up going overboard, I'll understand if a moderator/admin locks this thread because heated arguments are never a good thing, just a heads up is all. What forums have you previously joined before you left for a number of reasons? I had a few number of forums joined prior to leaving:

Game Informer forums is one of the biggest forums I had ever joined back in 2006, and despite the ups and downs, still had a good time throughout the years. However, after years went by, at least in 2010, the forums had a huge update which halted all activity altogether, with many older users having left en masse and never returned ever since, moved on as well. I returned and tried to find signs of life int he forums, but it seems that the Game Informer forums have since become a ghost town. Nobody was posting anything at all so it's basically just an empty void.

ScrewAttack is another forums I joined because of Death Battle, obviously. Unfortunately, my activities were sparse over there and it's become a huge request-fest with poor matchups as well, including other people who nitpick at others, even though their suggestions are right. The community itself is rather questionable, in terms of activity, especially since the majority of posts are solely focused on Death Battles; every other thread sections are a total wasteland. I like the forums, but at the same time, I don't like it because of the community environment.

SCS Software also had its own forums, which is notably popular for the games such as Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim, but the community itself goes a long way, especially from the lack of adequate moderation (and if there is, it's because they don't like quotes from a previously posted thread and remove them on sight). And then you have plentiful of people who get seriously snippy at others for pointing out flaws, even though users have the right to either criticize or praise one's work yet they clearly start instigating on one another over the smallest mistakes. I won't lie, there are certain amount of users (who also did their work as well for creating mods) tend to be openly hostile to other users and issues are often never resolved from heated arguments due to nonexistent activity from both moderators and admins who are not always active.

There you have it.

Back all the way in 2008, I joined a forum that was dedicated to hacking flash games. Other forums that may come to mind are some Garry's Mod server forums back in the early 2010's.

War Thunder Forums- I’m definitely not as active on there as I am here of course but I do like to go on the talk about updates and patches. I also like to go there to compare in game functions to realism. Other than that, MLPF is the only one I belong to.

(edited)

I've been on GameFAQs for the last couple of years. Used to write reviews, but I deleted them all. I plan on writing better ones anyways.

Edited by Cash_In

On 6/14/2018 at 1:52 AM, Salty French Unicorn said:

I've been to a french mlp forum, got banned by the admin on the second day because "I wanted to make friend" (just by making my presentation).

I got so mad at the time.

I also joined a Mario Kart Forum in 2010, I didn't came back.

Really? Goodness. Seems this version of MLP forums is pretty toxic.

Also have another forums I formerly joined back then.

Wangan Midnight: Used to be amazing until I ended up making a thread regarding MLP. Everyone started to openly hate it and then called me out by making "distasteful" replies to it. And yes, an admin stepped in to intervene, but even that didn't stopped them from making snide remarks so the end result is that they were either given stern warnings or being banned altogether. Didn't returned either way.

(edited)

I was on Jedi Council Forums but didn't post there much. It was too vast and I just felt lost in the crowd. I'm a little too close to Star Wars and like to enjoy it on a more personal level.

That's pretty much it for me.

Edited by Dreambiscuit

My other favorite forums have been The Bell Tree Forums and AVEN. :grin: Pokecommunity is neat too though I'm not always as active there. Since I tend to come off as kind of different as a person depending on which forum I'm on, I'd say that on AVEN I'm the most "myself".

The only one of note was the Wrestling Roundtable forum based on the Youtube channel and radio show of the same name. 

It was where a group of us die hard wrestling and MMA fans could discuss the sports in a mature and intelectual manner, away from all the fan boys and whiny kids. We discussed the good, the bad, and the ugly (mostly bad and ugly) of week to week wrestling programming, assembled best and worst lists, had some fantasy booking contests, wrote reviews, and predicted the future. It was like Wrestling w/ wregret, cultaholic and wrestletalk news before any of that got popular. Helped make me the fan I am today.

Unfortunately it died the death most forums did: everyone left for facebook. And the close knit community we forged ended up getting diluted and dispersed among the very sea of people we tried to avoid. 

Back when I was ten and still played Minecraft I was in some forum for a server I was very active in. Eventually however the server and website were shut down randomly without notice :(  

PlayStation Forums: Not as active as it used to be, as most activities on the forums has diminished greatly. Majority of threads I find have been significantly toned down and none are appealing for me. Even if I were to create threads, they just sit there empty.

(edited)

I used to be active on the official Star Trek forums on StarTrek dot com, a rock/metal subculture forum as well and the index forums in Hungary (You can think of that as a big forum that talks of everything.).

Those were around 2006-2008, give or take a year or two.

I had no particular reason to leave them, I just lost interest and was into imageboards more at that time.

Edited by TheOpticsDuck

Ah, yeah Twitter is becoming increasingly toxic, and I myself left Twitter because it's lost its soul. Was even met with hate by other trolls and even spambots were plaguing around, yet Twitter did nothing to ban them at all.

Used to be a major poster for Gamefaqs but quit after two years of it. Was not moderated and cyber bullying was the biggest trend on it. I remember posting on the Forza motorsports 2 forum about a car being unrealistically fast, and one guy kept calling me a troll and to harm myself. NO ONE STOOD UP FOR ME. Swore off forums and had it in my mind any one in a mod or admin position just wanted the title, and didnt want to do the work.

Glad i gave MLPforums a shot and was proved wrong.

Also part of this one know dead gearhead forums. Cant get enough about car talk.