Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Summoning emotes

DubWolf

In the past, I would type out emoticons rather than selecting them from the box since I always found that to be time consuming; clicking on the box, then scrolling down and selecting, and I use a lot of emotes in my posts; wackos especially :wacko:. I have a bank of emoticon codes that I know by heart.

But now when I start typing out the code for the emote, if I don't select the emote, the code doesn't turn into the actual emote, so I have to delete the code and try again, many times failing the second time. I prefer to use the mouse as fewest times as possible when writing a post; most people who can type relatively fast would too, it feels slow to have to use the mouse.

• Brohoof 1

I assume you are talking about the window that comes up when you start typing the code word for the emote?

(edited)

Hmm... It still converts these automatically; you just need to put their full name (also it's case-sensitive) and hit space to 'end' putting code. :twi:

IGYyDS1.gif

.......And assuming that list decides to pop out hZXzbAq.png (jk, but I love that emoticon :D), you can use down arrow + enter to use the suggestion :fluttershy:.

ibwiR1f.gif

No mouse required! :yay: 

I was toying with this a little and I've noticed these things:

Suggestion box will not appear if there's a character before it:

NEVDZJy.gif

Same rule applies when putting emoticons one after another, though pressing the right key seem to detach the cursor from previous emoticon, which makes it work. Same for moving the cursor back and forth. Generally separating these with space will do the thing.

VRCvyIW.gif

The second one is typed right after first one [Z2I68tp.png]
After the second one I pressed right arrow key then typed emoticon code [r9Quzru.png]
After the third one I moved the cursor to the left; then back to the right and typed emoticon code [r9Quzru.png]
Just putting space after putting emoticon [r9Quzru.png]

Now my favorite; t6b6Fx3.gifBUGS aLiHBml.png

For some mysterious reason, that I cannot specify at the moment, sometimes after pressing ENTER to choose the suggestion, it puts the emoticon in the editor, which is of course okay, but it also goes to new line.
D6CDwY7.gif

By "sometimes", it turns out to be around a 20% chance for each emoticon put from the suggestion box, which is really high considering, that it heavily corrupts the input afterwards.

That triggers series of bugs:
t6b6Fx3.gifCursor movement is dead, it doesn't respond to arrow keys, that is.
t6b6Fx3.gifThe suggestion box will never appear after that, no matter where you'll go with your cursor
t6b6Fx3.gifCreating new paragraph doesn't work, it doesn't respond to enter key, that is. Going to new line (shift+enter) works though.

There's no way to fix that while in editor or at least, I'm not aware of one. To fix that; you need to abandon ship by refreshing the page [F5] key. Just in case, backup your contents first [CTRL+A+C].

I suspect it has something to do with wrongly closed suggestion box. I think it still 'steals' the input, even if it's not visible. That could explain why shift+enter works, because you can't select the emoticon that way; it bypasses that box and goes to next line, so that's why it still works after that bug. No idea though.

Hope that helps anypony. :rarity:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 4

Hmm that’s weird, it works now after I hit space :wacko: . I coulda sworn it didn’t work when I did that.

Great job with all the gifs and explaining :pout:. Must’ve taken a lot of time and I appreciate your help :P .

Actually now I remember another problem I had, maybe it was fixed: I specifically recall typing the :P emote code and all you see is the code surrounded by an image box; like the forum recognizes the code to be of an emote, and concerts it to an image, but doesn’t bring up the emote image itself. I recall I had this problem with the pinkie emote and thought it was removed or something :wacko: :pinkie: .

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh, actually there were some works on the emoticons lately, so you indeed could have troubles, as these were unavailable -- or kind of broken actually. :twi:

Does the above sound familiar? Perhaps it was that? :derp: Either way, everything should be fine now, aside from some bugs, that is. :P 

You're welcome. :fluttershy: Always happy to be able to help, though I probably say too much, I always do. :rarity:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1