Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Do You Feel About the "Disney Reboot Revolution"?

(edited)

So in the past two years I've noticed Disney seems to be on a roll with a modern revolution. Instead of coming up with new fascinating, original ideas, they have decided to revive old iconic classics and remake them in live-action format, with voice casts featuring new and old members (given how some older ones have died and child voice actors are now adults with deeper voices). Some will stick stitch-by-stitch to the original movie's storyline, while others will be spinoffs or reboots centered around one character.

Honestly I'm not sure how to feel about this. Given the incredible new technologies that have come into the world of filmmaking, the idea of all those simple hand-drawn 2D cartoon characters being reimagined in realistic 3D seemed very exciting for both Disney and their fans - well, some of them. Others are more on the lines of "Why bother with stories of old? Yeah they were amazing then, why try to make them more amazing now? Like, what's the point? People still watch 80s and 90s movies in 2018 and will continue to do so!" 

What do you guys think? Is this Reboot Revolution the right way to go for Disney? (The teaser trailer for Dumbo was briefly #2 Trending on YouTube earlier this week)

Here are some of the movies that will be revived in live-action:

• Dumbo (following the original storyline, with some possible twists)
  • A sequel to the 2016 The Jungle Book movie
  • A sequel to the 2014 Maleficent movie
  • Peter Pan (following the original storyline)
  • Tinkerbell (her backstory)
  • The Lion King (following the original storyline)
  • Aladdin (following the original storyline)
  • Cruella (villain backstory/childhood)
  • The Little Mermaid (info is very loose - i.e. voice actors saying that they'd like to play certain characters)
Edited by Wiz Ahmad

I don't think it's really good or bad; in a sense. I mean as much as people seem to hate remakes these days; I haven't actually seen many say much about this live-action reboot saga. Honestly; as long as they make an interesting movie, new idea or not, I'm good with it. Heck; I feel like one of the few who actually enjoyed the Maleficent movie. :p

(edited)

How well has it been going for them? I hear people get excited when the trailers come but nothing on how good the movies actually were. I myself have only seen Maleficent and I liked it but it didn't leave me with much of an impression beyond the overall twists. Maybe I just need to expand my movie seer circle or actually look this stuff up, lol.

Dumbo was never about people and I think they're going to put too much of a focus on supportive human characters.

Another Studio is making their own Jungle Book movie and they changed the story by having him stay with the animals so if he's not returning to the jungle I'm not sure what story there is to tell.

No idea what they could have in store for a Maleficent 2.

I feel like we've had a lot of Peter Pan movies,,, like a lot of them. The original, the sequel, The Robin Williams version, the one with Zac Efron, that one from a few years back where Peter befriended Hook before he was an actual pirate, and there's a few more right?

Don't really care for a Tinker Bell backstory.

If they don't bring back Jeremy Irons to voice Scar in a new version of the Lion King then I'm not sure I want to see it. That disconnection from what we grew up with I think is a potential problem for all these movies. Besides, it might resemble the Jungle Book too much in appearance.

I've heard the Aladdin movie would not have been made for today's audience so I expect this to be very different. With a live action it'd be funny to see them try casting Tom Cruise since they designed Aladdin around him but that might be seen as insensitive for whitewashing.

Don't want a backstory for Cruella De Vil. You can't redeem a wannabe puppy murderer, and if they don't try that then what kind of a story are they telling? Here's a tale about either a spoiled brat who doesn't care for any other living creature besides herself, or was mistreated and so mistreats animals to make herself feel better. Who wants to see that?

They can probably make the Little Mermaid and do alright, but despite the advances in animation, I'm betting it's still going to look weird to see a person with a fish tail.

Best of luck Disney.

Edited by SharpWit

As long as they can bring some new things to the live-action side, I don't believe in raising a huge stink about the live-action versions. The original animated ones will still be here and talked about for years to come. So, if you don't like the live-action films, just simply don't watch them. And especially don't waste your time complaining about how live-action films shouldn't exist. These kinds of remakes have been going on in media long before Disney.

And my point doesn't just apply to Disney, but to anyone who does them. Some Live-action remakes are bad, but some can be good and enjoyable, so saying these remakes should stop would be denying new interpretations of the stories that have been told many times throughout history.

Disney has never been about new and original. Even the stuff you think are original are just reimaginings of other things. As for these live action movies, I haven't given any of them the time of day. I know I've already seen the superior version of Disney's work. 

That said, they're doing pretty well with the MCU, and hopefully they can get their act together with Star Wars. They're certainly more interesting than Beauty and the Beast but in live action, featuring Autotuned Harmione Granger 

I'm always highly skeptical about this kind of thing but it's happening so I guess I'll take it case by case.

Pete's Dragon - so unnecessary. Only the vaguest resemblance to the original.

Jungle Book - haven't seen it.

Beauty and the Beast - was surprised I liked it pretty much.

Lion King - cgi animation rather than 2d animation. Why bother?

Mulan - I would probably pass except Yifei Liu is in it!

liu-yifei-e1512102075632.jpg

Dumbo - I saw the trailer and Dumbo just looked so freaking cute! The original was only about a half hour long and included racial stereotype crows so obviously they're going to rework the story. I'm guessing adding some kids.

I am not really interested in most of them to be perfectly honest.

However that Christopher Robin movie actually looks pretty cute and is the only live action Disney reboot/adaptation that I would be willing to see.

They’ve made some original stuff. Wreck-it-Ralph is a good example, and is Moana, Zootopia, Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, it goes on. :P I have no problem with their reboots. They can be just as entertaining.

I don't mind reboots as a rule, but Disney is just cashing in on another easy trend. In the '90s it was rebooting all their old live action films from the '60s. Now it's rebooting the animated films into live action. As much as these are great stories I can't help but wonder what kind of new great stories they might come up with if they'd focus their attention more on artistic excellence and fresh originality than on the easy payoff. Sure, they have some original movies, but with all the resources at their disposal we should be seeing much more and much better material. 

Well, for me, with very few exceptions, I strongly dislike them. They twist the stories much more than I would like, not to mention the pop song covers of original songs that are the only things that come up when you search for the original song. (Keep in mind, I'm a Disney purist. I accept the stories of the original animated films, and I have a hard time accepting new story changes) The best example of this, and the main reason I'm against these remakes, is Maleficent. Yes, I know it's a whole "tragic backstory that made her become a villain" thing, but this movie obviously makes her the hero of everything. She was supposedly the hero, but someone else got credit. She saved her sidekick from certain death. She was betrayed by her best friend. I don't know about you, but, because of this movie, she seems like she's become a mary sue. Anyway, back to the entire movement. Beauty and the Beast was the only one released so far that I kind of liked. It didn't mess up the story as badly as some of the others.

Also, looking at the list, Tinker Bell doesn't need her own live action. She is such a jerk in the original movie. In my opinion, she doesn't deserve the popularity she gets.

I'll stop now.

(edited)

they fact they have to go back to remake movies out of old content just tells me Disney is running out of ideas so they have to overkill what has already been done.

this is just me and my honest opinion.

To each their own.

Edited by RaphLuna
spelling mistake

Jungle Book already made a cartoon sequel so I'm not surprise. And you also forgot Winnie the pooh and Mulan too. As these reboots, I don't mind seeing them uncover the original story, since it is darker than how the cartoon made it. But....I doubt they're going to add the gruesome part to these reboots since it's still disney. 

Technically they're still selling merchandise based off the original animated films, so the Walt Disney company is NOT acting like the Live-versions are their ONLY versions.

I enjoyed the Beauty and the Beast 2017 film even if the animated 1991 one is better by comparison.

• 2 years later...