Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Games that have meaning for you

Cash In

What games would you say are the most important to you? You are also free to elaborate. Here are my picks:

Super Smash Bros. Melee & Brawl

Pokemon Platinum

Devil May Cry 3 & 4

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Team Fortress 2 for all of the joy it bring me for 5 1/2 years of my life (3000h)

PAYDAY 2 for the coop and the "2 piece suit + mask = professionalism" (1700h)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf for my perfect town (~500h)

Super Smash Bros series for obvious reasons. (I, at least, spend 50 hours in each one (500h on the 3DS))

Portal Series for the love to a story and its unique gameplay. (75h with the workshop)

Edited by Salty French Unicorn

Lets see:

-Super Princess Peach: I think it's because it was the first Mario game that gave me the old childhood magic back in years at that time, something that I've hardly felt later. Hell, I think the next time I've felt such thing afterwards was a month ago with Odyssey :sealed:

-Super Star Saga: I was in a foreign country at the time, which it was where I bought it. I think it was fate, as Mario and Luigi happens to be in a foreign kingdom in the game

-Majora's Mask: Never felt such a deep feeling towards some measly NPCs and their world at the time

-Paper Mario: the greater feeling of urgency on the plot was masterfully implemented

-The Thousand Years Door: The darker but still possessing some light was great, specially in the partners

-Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Even heroes can fall to the darkness. 

Simcity 3000 Unlimited

Simcity 4

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

Killing Floor 1+2

Garry's Mod

L4D2

The list can go on and but I don't remember all of them... :nom:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Image result for Sonic Adventure 2 battle

One of the first games I completed all the way to the end. More than that though it was a bonding experience for my brother and I. We played the multiplayer sections a lot and for the final story sections, we both switched back and forth between the characters along with our third brother who played the Knuckles section. The final battle was particularly fun, with the soundtrack, stakes, and my brother and I passing the controller back and forth to one another the same way Sonic and Shadow were trading places fighting the final boss.

An unforgettable video game experience. Keep in mind, the games we'd played up to that point were Goldeneye, 1080, and Banjo Kazooie. Nothing with a more in-depth story that wasn't tongue in cheek. This would set the precedent for my experiences later in life.

Image result for the legend of zelda the wind waker

My first Zelda game. Sure, I had played Ocarina at my cousin's place but it didn't stick with me. This did. For a number of reasons. As a young kid who grew up on a small island, this kind of touched a particular nerve with me. It hit close to home and made it seem like Link's adventure across the sea could be my own. It really was an adventure as well, that grand music that played as you glided across the waves of a seemingly endless ocean, little dots off in the distance that could be another thing to explore.

Once the discovery was done though, there was a quest to be had, one that scaled up and got bigger at the plot progressed. It started out humble, tag along with pirates, rescue sister. Then you find a magical talking boat that says he'll help you get your sister in exchange for also ousting the very guy who kidnapped her. Then you start collecting magical do dads and encountering ancient demi-gods that hint at greater powers at work in your quest. It just goes up from there. By the time the final battle has come, where you started from is staggering to consider yet it feels natural because the escelation was well paced.

Related image

Maybe a bit predictable. Still, one of the things I love about this game is that the "world" part of the title feels accurate. Azeroth feels like a genuine world. I mean sure, magic, subways, and inter-dimensional rock ships, all coded with a decidedly exaggerated aesthetic. Yet it all doesn't fly apart at the seams because the cultures of the Alliance and the Horde, ridiculous as some might seem, remain internally consistent yet actually have evolved and changed over time. That's really the key to it all. Starting back in vanilla up to now, the world has undergone remarkable change, ancient foes defeated, massive government reformations, the gods themselves have abdicated their positions. As my mains, split between a Draenei Vindicator (Paladin) and a Pandaren Monk (because the Pandaren are unironically awesome and I will fight you on this!), I feel like I have been a witness to history.

On that subject, by the way, I ADORE the classes in this game, even the ones I don't play. Because they aren't just "warrior fights with swords, mages throw fireballs" and that's it. The classes actually have specific places in the cultures of their respective races. Your race selection limits your class choice to match that race's values. The class list expanded for various races precisely due to those internal changes over the years I mentioned. As a roleplayer, your class not only determines how you play, it determines how you fit in the world of Azeroth, what you want to say about yourself to others.

Image result for Fable II

My first true RPG. The game that let me create an identity all my own. I could become the master swordsman, quick draw gun-slinging, heroic swashbuckler I wanted to be. More than that though, it also gave me characters I actually cared about. Hammer was a lot of fun, Garth was a badass, their banter was great together, most of all though it was the first game that gave me a family. Not just a sister like in Zelda or indeed in this game, but a wife and children.

For context, this was Alex, a unique NPC that came with an interesting backstory of a former suitor who took his own life and the vengeful ghost contracted me to break her heart. When the time came though, I couldn't do it and ended up marrying her myself. Said spirit actually understood and found himself at peace that she was happy. It was a nice happily ever after. That's when things get interesting, in order to rescue Garth, I had to become a guard for the bad guy. This was no snatch and grab, this was a deep cover infiltration that took several in-game years to accomplish. I had never seen a game do that, wretch that level of control away from me. I actually thought what would happen to Alex, would she be mad or even think I was dead? I was actually thinking about this while playing this section. By the time I returned, Alex had a little someone to show me, a little girl who asked, "are you really my Dad?"

ref_by_stabzor-d4mbufj.png

More than any other time, I wished there was a "pick up and hug very tightly" button. I won't say anything further for spoilers but let's just say that no game since has made me more genuinely emotionally invested in seeing the villain fall.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Fallout 3, because it got me into the series and I absolutely adore the lore and feel to it.

Halo Reach for being the first game (and among the few) that made me teary-eyed. Plus, the multiplayer was the best in the series imo.

Sonic Heroes, for being one of my childhood favorites.

3 minutes ago, GeekySonic said:

Fallout 3, because it got me into the series and I absolutely adore the lore and feel to it.

I also wanted to put Fallout 3 on my list for the same reasons. (Plus legitimate connection with the father character that I could map to my relationship with my own Dad. And not a small dosing of burning patriotism in my heart.) In keeping with the OP's wishes though, I narrowed down my list.

5 minutes ago, GeekySonic said:

Halo Reach for being the first game (and among the few) that made me teary-eyed.

To its credit, Reach did get me to care about characters in the series who I unanimously see as victims of a tyrannical regime. No small feat.

• Brohoof 1

Super Metroid. It's my favorite video game and exemplifies everything great about the Metroid series which I hold near and dear. It's an amazing game and I consider it nearly flawless. I could pick it up at anytime and have a great time.

• Brohoof 1

Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past - my favorite game ever, got me into gaming

Metal Gear/Final Fantasy - Made me care about stories in game

Super Smash Bros - Made me care about being competitive 

Transformers Devastation - the closest i’ll ever get to my dream Megas XLR Video game 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

-Super Princess Peach:

A.k.a. Avatar Princess Peach. (She's an Airbender, Firebender, Waterbender, etc.) :laugh:

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

-Paper Mario:

-The Thousand Years Door:

Don't forget Super Paper Mario.

While the gameplay is a mixed bag compared to its predecessors', many -- if not most -- (including me) see the plot as the best in the franchise.

Edited by A.V.

TES III: Morrowind

Many, many hours of fun in a wonderful world with great story.

Heroes of Might and Magic III

I've spent enough time playing this game that I remember stats of majority of units along with memorized L and XL maps to the point I know how many turns I need to reach places I want.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

To date my favourite RTS.

Devil May Cry 3

Hack'n'slash of when I really really enjoyed gaming, and I was a "BOI" then. So Dante felt absolutely badass for me. Left memories, I used to be great at this game and the genre.

Cannon Fodder 1&2

Oh God. Cannon Fodder. Retro Amiga game. War was never and never will be so fun!

Diablo I

First part was an absolute blast and I like it more than DII or DIII.

NieR: Automata

Recent addition, but definitely one of my favourite games out there currently.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm... Well, Pokémon Gold version!  It's what started a ton of things for me. Made me a full Pokémon Fan (while I was into it with Pokémon Stadium it wasn't until this game that I fully became a fan).  Plus, thanks to this game I created a ton of original characters that have gone on to be part of my own original writings.

Mario Tennis Power Tour... I just really like the story of this game and the game play.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: My first 3D sonic game and Probably the start of me being a full time Sonic Fan. :)

• Brohoof 1

Since I'm short on time, I'll give my short answers.

Majora's Mask

Wind Waker 

Super Mario 64

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team

Donkey Kong 64

Super Princess Peach

There's more, but for now, that's all I'll say.

• Brohoof 1

Everything Sonic--nearly. Zelda--all, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Rockman X, Spyro--most, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, R-Type games, Super Mario All-Stars, and Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, A.V. said:

A.k.a. Avatar Princess Peach. (She's an Airbender, Firebender, Waterbender, etc.) :laugh:

Don't forget Super Paper Mario.

While the gameplay is a mixed bag compared to its predecessors', many -- if not most -- (including me) see the plot as the best in the franchise.

Nah, I can see the story's  quality, but it was a step down overall

5 hours ago, Sondash Studios said:

Mario Kart Wii

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Croc 1

Croc 2

Sonic Colors

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine 

Holy sheit, me forgets Croc. Sure, it's a pretty flawed platform, but it was more of a classic 3D Mario platform than Mario 64 was :D

(edited)

Pokémon Diamond- My favorite Pokémon game to date, and the one I have played the most of.

Team Fortress 2- One of my most played games to date (roughly 900), and my favorite multiplayer game of all time.

Paladins- One of the biggest inspirations for a project of mine, and it's a game that I've come to love.

Super Mario Bros. 2- My real introduction to Mario platformers, and probably my most played GBA game ever.

Borderlands- A very important influence on my want to develop games in the first place, and the only game I ever tried to speedrun.

Super Smash Bros. Melee- Probably the game I had the most playtime on, and one of the very few games I beat 100%.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story- My introduction to the Mario RPGs, and one of my favorite games of all time.

League of Legends- I may hate playing the game, but it really means a lot to me. It introduced me to competitive gaming, and it's my most played game ever.

Edited by Barik

I didn’t have a gaming system growing up (my parents didn’t believe in them). So I played awesome PC games like King’s Quest, Space Quest, the Ultima series, Star Wars: Tie Fighter. Some were text based so they helped me learn how to spell at an early age. 

Years later when I got my first game system, Zelda: Twilight Princess was my first and I loved it. The ending is still sad for me (shut up, lol). Pokémon Gold was the first one I played on my 3DS.

Pokemon Omega Ruby since it got me into the games - quite late but a lot of fun has been had!
Animal Crossing: New Leaf since it has such a pleasant atmosphere and often keeps my mind off negative things. When things feel bad, I can turn to my talking animal friends.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:17 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Nah, I can see the story's  quality, but it was a step down overall

Holy sheit, me forgets Croc. Sure, it's a pretty flawed platform, but it was more of a classic 3D Mario platform than Mario 64 was :D

OMG YOU KNOW CROC?! I LOVE THOSE GAMES! I WISH THEY COMPLETED THE THIRD ONE.

2 hours ago, Sondash Studios said:

OMG YOU KNOW CROC?! I LOVE THOSE GAMES! I WISH THEY COMPLETED THE THIRD ONE.

100 percented  both baby B). I even still got by original disk for Croc, which let me play it one last time on my second PS3 about three years ago :mlp_icwudt:. Dunno if it'll work on my latest PS3 tho :huh:

• Brohoof 1