Sondash Studios

Why is the Brony Fandom dying?

If the fandom was dying, than the movie would not have made four times its budget. :orly:

Badges

1 hour ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

If the fandom was dying, than the movie would not have made four times its budget. :orly:

So true. 

Where did you hear that?

The movie racked in $21M+ from the domestic side and $38M from the foreign side. According to documents we found from the leak the film costed almost $29 million to make. To top that off the film didn't even do as well as other nations in its home territory, that's not really that impressive.

This means the film making around $60M would only be double the budget which isn't really that impressive. Hasbro's own powerpoints from the leaks also confirm that Hasbro wasn't too impressed with sales either.

Evidence below:

1170848018_ScreenShot2018-06-19at10_59_55PM.thumb.png.cba12f0283a155193182483be038e514.png

MLP Movie Box Office Analysis

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

So true. 

Rule of thumb is that the company has to make double of the budget(when factoring in promoting and marketing) to even break even, judging by the charts @Key Sharkz posted, it barely managed to do that. Admittedly the movie probably would have been able to do better had the movie not been leaked and everyone not pirated it

On that tangent, for a fandom that claims the show only exists because of them, they sure love to pirate their shit and by fanmade products instead of official releases

• Brohoof 3

Badges

If you for some reason need more evidence that the fandom is on a decline look no further than this very site. According to Alexa, this site's traffic has declined significantly in only 3 months and has been going downward for a while now. I mean if you look at how many people are online at any given time that much is obvious too. Even Equestria Daily has seen a significant drop in ranking in only a year.

The reality is the brony trend is winding down.

• Brohoof 4

The fandom has been dying for 6+ years now. That is a long time to be dying. Seriously though, it is declining as has been stated... it is to be expected... does anyone really think it would last forever somehow? It is not going anywhere anytime soon even with the decline... it will just shed the member no longer interested in all. Fans of the franchise will be around for years to come as well as the new people that discover it as the generations swap out.

• Brohoof 2

Badges

Just as others have said It might not be in it's prime but that doesn't mean it's dead, It's still going strong and has become a phenomenon throughout the globe. The fandom will never flat out die, Dragon Ball was basically over for decades before it got revived and the fan base was strong even before BoG/RoF came out. MLP is garanteed to get it's self another movie which will only draw in even more attention If the previous one hasn't done so already.

MLP is still growing today and is very popular throughout all of media (Youtube, Television, Social Media, Advertising ect ect), I wouldn't be worrying at least not yet anyway. Let's not forget the comics, EQ and G5.

• Brohoof 3

Badges

Yes, it's true. Bronies are packing their bags. We need to evolve beyond ponies.

Badges

Nah it's far from dying although it isn't growing much it's probably in the declining state where gen 4 is about to end some time next year and with that quite a few people will slowly leave the fandom and move on to bigger and better things but it isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Edited by Crow2
  • Brohoof 1

I would say it's far from dying.  It's going through one of its phases.

On the other hand, I've become a bit more distant towards fandoms lately.  Mostly towards Video Game fandoms(Recently, I've become livid towards fellow Smash Bros fans because some Waluigi fanboys decided to harass Masahiro Sakurai over a lack of Waluigi).  When some group of fans become out of control, it just ruins it for me.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:13 PM, Key Sharkz said:

If you for some reason need more evidence that the fandom is on a decline look no further than this very site. According to Alexa, this site's traffic has declined significantly in only 3 months and has been going downward for a while now. I mean if you look at how many people are online at any given time that much is obvious too. Even Equestria Daily has seen a significant drop in ranking in only a year.

The reality is the brony trend is winding down.

Though your facts are correct, it needs to be pointed out that internet forums as a whole have been declining in popularity, it's certainly not just for pony.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2017/02/someone-would-always-answer-sad-death-internet-message-board

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2018/03/social-media-usage-declining-in-the-us.html

Mobile is what's all the rage now, people these days generally just check their favorite sites with their phones and move on with their day. Internet is still very much recognized as essential, but the general public is simply not invested in "the world of the internet" like they used to be.

Badges

The older fandom needs to stay around in order to help represent older fans of MLP in general and to remind people that fans of all ages can enjoy a show that's considered "girly" by mainstream society.

Badges

I don't feel the fandom is "dying" as it is just declining. Friendship is Magic has been around for 8 years now, and I can understand that for all those years bronies may have moved on from the series to pursue something else.

Badges

30 minutes ago, Silver Letter said:

The older fandom needs to stay around in order to help represent older fans of MLP in general and to remind people that fans of all ages can enjoy a show that's considered "girly" by mainstream society.

As a brony, I'm willing to stick around to help with the transition for a new generation.  But then again, the bronies are decent compared to the gaming man babies I've seen on the internet.

Edited by SaburoDaimando
  • Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, StrangeGirl said:

I don't feel the fandom is "dying" as it is just declining. Friendship is Magic has been around for 8 years now, and I can understand that for all those years bronies may have moved on from the series to pursue something else.

I don't really get that. It seems that some people see fandoms as an "all or nothing" proposition. I've had fandoms decline in my life but I don't abandon them just because time has passed. It's not a good reason.

Badges

I think part of the reason why the show is declining is the fact that the core cast remains intact after 8 seasons. It's alright to keep them after 4-5 seasons, but once you go past that, you're taking too much of a chance. I just wish they would change things up and keep them as minor characters and make some of the newer characters the new main cast.

7 minutes ago, Silver Letter said:

I don't really get that. It seems that some people see fandoms as an "all or nothing" proposition. I've had fandoms decline in my life but I don't abandon them just because time has passed. It's not a good reason.

You have a good point there.

• Brohoof 2

Badges

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis14 said:

I think part of the reason why the show is declining is the fact that the core cast remains intact after 8 seasons. It's alright to keep them after 4-5 seasons, but once you go past that, you're taking too much of a chance. I just wish they would change things up and keep them as minor characters and make some of the newer characters the new main cast.

I don't know any media off hand in which a core cast of characters is replaced after a certain point. Are you able to?

Badges

2 minutes ago, Silver Letter said:

I don't know any media off hand in which a core cast of characters is replaced after a certain point. Are you able to?

Nuh, that's just my suggestion though.

jeez wish I had become a brony earlier 

On 6/19/2018 at 10:26 AM, Key Sharkz said:

I wouldn't say it is "dying" just yet, but it is thinning. Why? Well a number of factors:

• The "trendy" crowd has come and gone. Many people join a new fandom because it's new and exciting, something different, however many will leave after it's no longer "unique" or "cool" to like it anymore.
  • Many Faust loyalists have finally given up on the idea of her ever returning and finally ditched.
  • Fandom is just getting older and people are losing interest, a natural part of every fandom.
  • With Gen 5 around the corner many people who are flakes are just jumping ship because they don't want to even give change a chance.

I would say this isn't the death of the fandom but perhaps a new chapter or the point where the fandom becomes a little more niche.

I tell you what though, season 5 might make it or break it for me for sure, especially if they actually make applejack an urban city pony with that “black girl sass”. And no not because of anything to do with race more along the lines of aj is such a relatable pony for me and other country bumpkins and I don’t see why media has to urbanize everything so much or the way that they do.

2 minutes ago, Blivy said:

I tell you what though, season 5 might make it or break it for me for sure, especially if they actually make applejack an urban city pony with that “black girl sass”. And no not because of anything to do with race more along the lines of aj is such a relatable pony for me and other country bumpkins and I don’t see why media has to urbanize everything so much or the way that they do.

Because as it turns out in her current state she's not as well received as they'd like.

Just now, Key Sharkz said:

Because as it turns out in her current state she's not as well received as they'd like.

I understand that part and all but it seems like at the very least they could keep her a good ole country pony and think of other ways to make her an outstanding character. Plus in my honest opinion I believe she is perfectly fine the way she is right now, sure maybe they could tweak some things to make her feel more likable to some less understanding of her but still, every problem didn’t have to end with urbanIzation. So many people loved her just they way she is for the very reason OF her feeling like a nice shoutout to those of us that enjoy living a nice country lifestyle,  along with that work you’re butt off all day and and party with family at night mentality that so many of us small town folk have! <3

Maybe they are realize there is more to life than just ponies?

perhaps they got into it to try and get a date, however the girls found them creepy, once they given up, they finally landed a girlfriend?

some Actually are obsessed over to the point, it broke their bank account?

perhaps it was just a fad and they wanted to be a part of the hype?

Fit in with others that loved the show, however realized they do not need MLP in their life to make friends?

Maybe it is Just Rumor?

Who Knows.

Badges

On 6/21/2018 at 7:54 AM, Blivy said:

I understand that part and all but it seems like at the very least they could keep her a good ole country pony and think of other ways to make her an outstanding character. Plus in my honest opinion I believe she is perfectly fine the way she is right now, sure maybe they could tweak some things to make her feel more likable to some less understanding of her but still, every problem didn’t have to end with urbanIzation. So many people loved her just they way she is for the very reason OF her feeling like a nice shoutout to those of us that enjoy living a nice country lifestyle,  along with that work you’re butt off all day and and party with family at night mentality that so many of us small town folk have! <3

I don't think AJ's problem lies of her being a country horse, I think it's because of how poorly flexible she is character-wise. What are to be expected from an Applejack episode? Family, her farm life, on how she's poorly adaptable in higher levels of society. I don't think she would have much issue if she was more like her human counterpart