Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Good King

AnonyPoni

(edited)

(The OOC link disapeared, so http://mlpforums.com...-good-king-ooc/)

Archon Sule looked out the window of his Castle. It wasn't a grand sight.

The Castle was in the middle of the Malumai capital, Chiroptera, and there was no buffer to the crime driven streets besides the two guards in the front of the door.

If you came to the window at the right time, you saw a mugging, blackmail dropoffs, and a murder every once in awhile. There was little he could do. The Police ponies weren't strong enough to handle it.

"What have I gotten myself into, becoming Archon?" he thought to himself.

Just then, he heard a knock on the door to his chamber.

"Who is it?"

Indigo, his trusted right-hand pony, ran in panting.

"What's wrong?" said Sule

I would like any Moderator who sees this grey text filler in this post to realize that this original post of The Good King is not only a historic Icon for the Forum, being the first post that was ever written to the Longest Running Roleplay on the MLP Forums (I'm pretty sure about that) but was also written in a time where the Roleplay Section wasn't thought as a place with bad character minimums, post counts, or members scamming their way to higher ranks. Nah. The Roleplay World is a place to make friends and awesome stories together. It still is and I hope it will remain to be.

The Good King is not the first, and definitely isn't the last RP to take on the mentality of the megaposting, advanced RPing, and putting story first. It's a rich, amazing story with well developed, flawed characters. What this roleplay has become is what I feel what Arylett envisioned when she came up with the Roleplay section, perhaps even exceeded her expectations.

We have made good stories, characters, and friends here, and one day I wish to go to the Administrative Staff and somehow ask that this RP get some forum recognition, however small.

But until then, we will continue to blaze our trail with this story of bat Ponies and Equestrian history.

Edited by AnonyPoni
Fixed it up for ya. There you go.

midnight looked up at the castle, shaking his head, he'd rather have the old king back, but being a soldier, he was sworn under the new king and he had to like it, he streached his wings and flew towards the barracks, to initiate his favorite part about new recruits, waking them up for their training.

(hope that was okay XD)

(How should I know what's wrong? x3)

"Sir!" Indigo cleared his throat and regained his composure. "Sir. There's a protest group forming in the back courtyard. Only this time, somepony's distributed weapons out to them. You ...should probably come speak to them before they try to storm the castle."

Indigo shifted his weight in quiet annoyance. The dark gray Malumai stood in his ceremonial armor with a wide shield strapped to the side of his left shoulder, and a spear in place in the notches in the spine of his armor. It was a great honor to be able to serve the new Archon, and with the overthrow of the dictator Indigo had allowed himself to believe that maybe their was a future for his country.

Seeing his society's future crumble back down so quickly with the new 'Kick the Archon Out' movement beginning to spring up, however, quickly broke down his idealistic thoughts. If it were up to him, he'd have all the demonstrators executed and call it a day. But, Indigo supposed, that's probably why he isn't the Archon.

Indigo bowed his head in reverance, then gestured to the door. "After you, sir."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sule walked out of his chambers with Indigo.

When Sule and Indigo got to the atrium, he saw many of the Royal Guards suiting up and picking up weapons and shields, ready for a battle.

"We're are ready to get rid of them at your command, sire."

Sule was shocked at this behavior of the Guards, Immediately resorting to violence. The Pegasi wouldn't do something like this. These soldiers were ready to die for him. Sule shivered this thought. He could never ask Loyal ponies to give up their lives in a street battle.

"No, no... that hopefully won't be necessary" Sule said, "Indigo and I will go and see if we can calm them."

A soldier handed Indigo a spear and shield, to defend the Archon.

"No, no weapons... not now" said Sule. He knew he was taking a risk, but any weapon will be seen as a threat to the crowd.

"But Sire" said a Guard, "what if they try to kill you?"

"Don't worry. If they want the Tyrant back, they should know that I'm the only pony who can free him."

"That's pretty confident, even for me" Sule thought

Sule and Indigo stepped out of the castle, armed only by confidence. There were at least 30 protesters all yelling "Down With Archon!" Some started to throw apples and tomatoes at the Guards at the door. They bravely stood post.

"Ponies, Ponies!" yelled Sule. Despite the fact that the protesters hated the Archon, his voice was commanding enough to quiet them.

"Why are you here? What have I done wrong?" asked Sule

"You're Soft!"

"Where's the new land we conquered?"

"Evil Magic! Just like those damn Unicorns!"

"The Old King Should shave killed you!"

"Prosperity? We live in a Hell Hole!"

"Pegasi ambassadors? Those things are coming here?"

The Crowd got out of control at this point. Somepony threw an apple at Indigo's head.

"Settle down! Settle DOWN!" yelled Sule in vain, nothing he could say would stop them at this point.

One pony flew up and threw a spear at one of the Guards. Luckily, it missed by a mane-hair. It was enough for the Statue of the Guard to get startled and call for reinforcments.

The Guards galloped and flew in, and took the protesters head on. There was screaming and yelling in pain. It was like Sule's horrible war inventions all over again. Blood and pain, He couldn't take it. He felt as though Everypony hated him.

Just then, a stone hit the Archon's head. Just as Sule was about to black out, Indigo dragged him back into the castle.

Right before he lost consiousness, he asked Indigo, "What have I done?"

Edited by Anony-Brony

Indigo didn't know what to say, and Sule lost conciousness before he could come up with anything. Grimly, he turned to a nearby guard captain, who had just walked in the room. "Remove the protestors from the premises." The guard saluted, and turned to leave. "Wait!" Indigo said suddenly, and the guard stopped. Indigo looked at Sule's body, before looking at the guard. "Don't kill any of them. No more than who are already dead."

The guard hesitated. "B-but"

"MOVE IT!" Indigo barked, and the guard quickly left the room. Indigo mused to himself. Sule had wanted to calm the crowd down peacefully Sure, Indigo knew that the guards weren't going to listen and he'd likely see a massacre when Sule woke up, but it wouldn't be good if he were to second-guess the Archon's intentions now.

Indigo looked over Sule's body. He sustained a blow to the head, but apart from a likely migraine when he woke up Sule should be fine.

(edited)

Sule woke up a couple hours later. By then, it was daytime. Most Malumai live a nocturnal lifestyle, so most ponies were asleep. Luckily, Indigo was still with him, but by now he had fallen asleep. Sule's head throbbed in pain, not just from the rock but also from the idea that there were ponies weren't happy with him. Did they LIKE having a cruel leader? Did they LIKE the propaganda, daily tortures, and slavery the old tyrant gave?

Sule didn't want to wake indigo, it had been a rough night for him as well. One of the guards was marching by and Sule stopped him to ask about the protesters.

"What happened with them when I was gone?" asked Sule.

"We go rid of the protestors for you, sire. However, they were...resistant"

Sule was afraid to ask his next question

"How...how many casualties?"

"At least two Guards were killed in the struggle, new recruits, and..."

"And what?"

"Sire, forgive us, they really tried to..."

"How Many Protesters Died!?"

The Guard was startled at this outburst. The Archon was normally so collected and calm. He cleared his throat.

"We really tried to use minimal force, but then to two new recruits fell. The protesters...outnumbered and out armed us. They tried one last time to storm the castle, and they nearly got through. But then, a very dark, black pony swooped in with a bunch of new recruits. They helped up drive them back."

"You didn't answer my question"

The Guard sighed. "At least 20 protesters were killed, not counting some civilians that got in the way, too."

The Archon looked as if he would explode then, but then he out stretched his wings and took a deep breath, calming him.

"I think I will go for a nice fly. Wake up Indigo, he's coming as well"

"Where are you going Sire?"

"There is only one Pony I know that Malumai would call Dark and Black, and that is Midnight Moon"

Midnight Moon was a former High ranking officer under the Old King. After the tyrant was deposed, he took on the less high profile job of training recruits. Sule knew that Midnight Moon didn't like his new, tolerant ruling style and wanted to do things the old way. He tended to kill ponies he didn't like.

Sule took off, with Indigo training close behind him. He knew that Midnight liked to train his soldiers well into the day, so he knew that they would be welcomed by half asleep ponies.

The airways were clear, and they were off.

Edited by Anony-Brony

Midnight shook his head, "FASTER SARN FASTER." he was running the ponies through an obstacle course, it kept them on their hooves, and gave them their daily exercise, but he was growing concerned at the younger recruits lack of ability to follow orders and do what was asked.

Turning to one of the younger instructors he shook his head, "take the younger ones and run them through the course, step by step, each obstacle, i want them to be able to do it in their sleep by the end of this week."

he nodded and saluted, "yes sir.....um sir if i may."

midnight sighed, "what is it?"

the instructor pointed to the deep cut on the side of his cheek, blood was still flowing, "shouldn't you get that taken care of sir?"

midnight shook his head, "i will be fine, i survived worse in the war."

thankfully it was only a deep cut, and not the stab he had expected, the protestors had been out of control, and whoever armed them, and got his men killed would get what was coming to them.

Indigo flew with Sule for some time in silence. Finally, after about half-an-hour, he spoke up. "You shouldn't blame yourself, sir. With how bad things were, there's nothing anypony really could've done..."

(edited)

"I know... but riots like that never happened with the old king. I guess he gave them enough work as slaves. I would just feel as though ponies would be a little more... grateful. Nonetheless, Midnight needs to not go on a killing spree every time there is a riot or squabble. We cannot have him in control of the soldiers if he acts on his own whim."

Another moment of silence. Sule still had a headache from the rock. The fact they were flying in the sun wasn't helping either, with their sensitive night eyes.

Sule broke the silence."I just heard word that the other 3 tribes have laid down arms and aggression after a huge blizzard nearly ruined them. They have settled in a new land. They call it Equestria, a place were all ponies can be equal and live in harmony. I was hoping we could join them, which is why I called in the Pegasi ambassadors. I know Malumai in general were raised to hate the other pony tribes, but I hoped we could change that and start a new life there. What do you think, Indigo?

Edited by Anony-Brony

"You're asking if can transplant fifty-thousand ponies and move them to this 'Equestria' so we can live in love and happiness with the other races we've spent Epona knows how long hating? ...permission to speak freely, sir?"

• Brohoof 1

midnight shook his head, he was feeling light headed, shutting his eyes for a moment he shook it off, he continued to watch the recruits run the obstical courses, and train with their weapons, he walked up and down the files of ponies, just silently watching them, looking for mistakes and correcting them.

(edited)

"You're asking if can transplant fifty-thousand ponies and move them to this 'Equestria' so we can live in love and happiness with the other races we've spent Epona knows how long hating? ...permission to speak freely, sir?"

Sule and Indigo just arrived at the Barracks where Midnight was stationed at.

"Go ahead" said Sule as they walked past the sleepy guards on duty.

Edited by Anony-Brony

"You're bucking insane. But you also overthrew your predecessor and brokered peace with the other tribes without killing a single pony, so who knows? You might be able to pull off the impossible again.

"The main problem I see is how exactly we're gonna rebuild society when we get there. The Malumai, the Pegasai, and the Unicorns...we all hate each other deeply, and I don't know if the people are loyal enough to you to work together on that kind of undertaking, especially in close proximity to them."

• Brohoof 1

midnight was over at the obstical course, "i have heard many grumblings as to why your running these courses, even though you know, and frankly I know, it wont help you in a real battle, and since were not at war with anypony," he looked each of them in the eye, "you wont be needing it, to put it simply, keeping fit is the way soldiers need to be, weather in war or peace, you have to keep your body fit, your skills sharp, and your mind sharper."

he nodded, "break time over, get back too it."

(edited)

Sule looked at Indigo "They had the same problems and solved them, how are we different?"

Indigo was about to answer, but then Midnight appeared and welcomed them.

"Midnight, I have something to talk to you about...."

Edited by Anony-Brony

midnight looked at the king then his assistant, "hello sire." and bowed respectfully, "what brings you two here?"

he wasnt expecting any company today, he only knew one reason sule would even talk to him, but keeping his thoughts and actions to himself he stood.

"We're here about the protesters. I gave Instructions not to kill them, but you and these recruits go and kill most of them anyway. Can you defend these actions of insubordination?"

midnights polite smile dissappeared in an instant, "they had weapons, and they were actively attacking your guards, killing two and wounding more," his eyes got hard "what would have happened if we hadnt shown up and finally dispersed them? hmm? many more could have died, including yourself.... you'd rather innocent mares and colts inside the castle died too?" he waved a hoof at the recruits "we were doing what we were trained to do defend the castle and its occupants."

he shook his head, "we tried your, "peaceful" way, yet the crowd got more violent, and two of my recruits are in the hospital with serious injuries."

• Brohoof 1

Sule knew that this was a good reason. He had no way to counter this argument.

"You could have used the new crowd control device that I invented. It sprays a spicy liquid into the eyes of the ponies, temporarily giving them a burning feeling in their eyes. They tend to stop attacking after that. I believe the police ponies were issued it, did you get any?"

(yes, Sule is the inventor of pony pepper spay. I'm really sorry about that curveball, Midnight, I didn't know what else to come up with)

midnight shook his head,

"no sire, we did not, nor were we slated to get any of it for the next while." he looked sule in the eye "it could have saved some lives, but for how long? at a militeristic standpoint, somepony armed these mares and stallions, and even this spray wont keep them at bay for long."

"These were untrained civilians armed with mass-produced junk, and the order was to 'remove the protestors from the premises', not 'punish them for daring to oppose us'. How hard would it to be to set up a simple shield line and bully them out of the courtyard, anyway?" Indigo glared at Midnight for a moment, before looking away. "But you're right. The protestors shouldn't have been armed to begin with. Where the hell could they have gotten weapons like that?"
  • Brohoof 1

Sule was now beginning to see Midnight's side of things. He was, do his disgust , beginning to agree with the former General.

"I have a goal for us Malumai, to join the ponies of Equestria. We cannot go though with it if our soldiers look like are so willing to take lives of our own ponies, even if they are armed. We are just asking for a civil war. I rather prevent this than have us do it again. I will give you the permission to have your recruits investigate how the protesters got the weapons. Think of it as their first mission for them. Put one of them in charge of the investigation, but you won't call the shots, Indigo will find somepony else for that. I want the ponies responsible to be tried justly, and we cannot do that if they are dead. Get them the spicy spay. Minimal force!"

Sule looked at the fresh faced pony recruits that had lined up in attention at his arrival. Hopefully, they would be fine. He was going to get them special armor that should protect them better against the spears and the new bows and arrows. He wanted them to do it, since they were the only ones who he still had time to teach mercy to.

midnight frowned, "yes sir," he glared back at indigo, "no matter what you think, or what you have been told, i dont enjoy taking ponies lives."

he turned without another word, "SAL your the leader, choose who you think should help you, then talk to me at the barracks, the rest of you, dismissed for the day."

midnight shook his head as he entered his part of the barracks, he knew the king was right, even if they didnt see eye to eye, he shook his head, he himself wanted to know who supplied these arms, but orders were orders he wasnt allowed to come along, and he doubted he could change the kings mind.

beacuse of his previous history, and it haunts him to this day, but he still refused to see any kind of doctor or shrink, he felt he could get through it on his own.

• Brohoof 1

Sule and Indigo took off to get back to Chiroptera.

Something nearly slipped Sule's mind.

"Indigo, what were you doing when Midnight was massacring the protesters?

(edited)

Indigo muttered to himself, "Could've fooled me." He knew Midnight's track record, back when they both served under the dictator's administration. His criticisms of Sule's administration for being too soft also didn't help his case (though there were also rumors that he was upset that Indigo was promoted to be the Archon's ancient instead of him, but for as much as Indigo didn't like him, he didn't think Midnight was the kind of pony to be petty like that)

Later, as they were flying back to Chiroptera, Sule asked him what he was doing when Midnight was massacring the prisoners. Indigo responded, "You got hurt, so I ordered the guards to take care of the protestors." Indigo backpedaled "Uh, nonlethally, I mean." Indigo sighed. "Afterward, I took your body somewhere safer and stood guard in case anypony managed to get in and get to you. By the time I realized what Midnight was doing, it was already over." Indigo bowed his head. "I'm sorry."

Edited by Jadefire