Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Does Religion Mean To You?

Altastrofae

7 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

No I really did not. I take people at their word exactly as its said most of the time unless given clear signs to do otherwise. 

The point I am making is its easy to say you believe in the rede and various rules. But without reading up on at the very least the core materials of one of the major schools you can't ever know if you are just a witch or you are actually a Wiccan. Just like a Jedi could be dang close to being Buddhist without following one of the various training programs out there to get their base. One has to have a clear training and foundation in any system be it philosophical or spiritual to know they are actually on the path they claim to be on. 

Oh of course, I agree that you definitely need to agree with the central beliefs at the very least to be sure you're on the right path. That's what I've been saying.

3 minutes ago, Altastrofae said:

Oh of course, I agree that you definitely need to agree with the central beliefs at the very least to be sure you're on the right path. That's what I've been saying.

Ok then we were just talking past each other. That happens.  Fair enough then 

I may look at it in a very simple way but, everyone has their own beliefs, and that is a fact I am okay with. What I am not okay with is when people use their religion to hurt others. If your religion hurts others---you're doing it wrong, and it's a bad path. Lifting each other up, and being supportive, caring and understanding is what we should be practising. Love, acceptance, tolerance and patience. Sure some would argue, "you can't tell them it's wrong, that's intolerant" but I think the majority here would agree, that hurting others, no matter the reason is wrong and never leads to anything good. Some people may think they are doing good by hurting these people that their religion hates, but in my opinion, if your religion is telling you to hate.... I'd think twice about it. It will never bring peace.

Edited by Earl Grey Ghost
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Religions are, at their most basic, a set of rules for (ostensibly) doing good by your fellow man. George Harrison said it best:

"All religions are branches of one big tree. It doesn't matter what you call Him just as long as you call."

So long as we can eventually respect each others' belief systems and discuss them like civilized people rather than barbaric warmongering conquerors and theocrats, why should religion be so divisive and (for lack of a better word) serious?

• Brohoof 3

Now for a post that actually answers the question:

Having recently ekmbraced Discordianism after literal years dealing with a crisis of faith and on again off-again religious devotion, I think I've finally found a faith that truly makes me happy. So yeah, I'd say my religion is important to me.

2 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Now for a post that actually answers the question:

Having recently ekmbraced Discordianism after literal years dealing with a crisis of faith and on again off-again religious devotion, I think I've finally found a faith that truly makes me happy. So yeah, I'd say my religion is important to me.

Wow, never actually met a Discordian before. I have read the Principia Discordia once or twice just for the heck of it. Definitely a sort of chaotic neutral/good thing iirc. 

Fnord.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Indeed. Eris only wants to spread playful anarchy, laughter, and love.

I'd also recommend reading The Book of ErisThe Book of Chaos and Its Virtue, and the Apocrypha Discordia.

Ooh, you had me at reading. But yeah, I'll give 'em a look. Discordian writing definitely brightens my day.

It may come as no surprise to you that one of my favourite quotes is from our MLP Discord: "What fun is there in making sense?"

No offense to those who believe but I believe it only reduces the things that you can do in life because it is what another man says that someone of the past is belived to be the son of a god that we are not sure of its existence.

But if that is what you want to do with your life then Im perfectly fine with it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
22 hours ago, Bastian said:

No offense to those who believe but I believe it only reduces the things that you can do in life because it is what another man says that someone of the past is belived to be the son of a god that we are not sure of its existence.

But if that is what you want to do with your life then Im perfectly fine with it.

Well that's the main problem with Abrahamic faiths in general but not all religions are that strict. And actually there is some historical evidence that a man was born in modern day Israel, who taught people of his ideologies, which was common practice for Jewish monks at the time, and this man became an enemy of the state to the Roman Empire. So we know he existed to some extent, but whether his claims held any truth, we cannot say

Edited by Altastrofae
  • Brohoof 1