Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Is this name really offensive?

Here's the thing, I love creating names on the internet about being French, stupid and/or salty and liking Derpy.

I've created a name, it's "Derpy, The French Faguette" (Baguette + Faggot)

I've been warned of this name is offensive in servers and websites and I still don't understand, this name is offensive to other while it's a name describing myself! What do you think?

And seriously, it's a creative name, eh?

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

Here's the thing, I love creating names on the internet about being French, stupid and/or salty and liking Derpy.

I've been warned of this name is offensive in servers and websites and I still don't understand, this name is offensive to other while it's a name describing myself! What do you think?

It's a very creative name...

but people might not think it's all that appropriate or even be offended by the name due to the last word of the name containing f****t, a homophobic slur.

No I am NOT saying you are homophobic, I am saying that a word that you have used is a homophobic slur and is considered to be offensive... even if you are describing yourself

I've looked for ethymology behind the word, and every single one says it's disparaging. Was wondering if it perhaps was a word that held a completely different meaning in the past, but it seems that f****t is indeed mainly an insult and, apart from completely different, unrelated meaning, is used offensively.

Its general reception by the society is also negative. Case is, the borderline use of it *may* be taken as offensive by certain parties. The feeling here is justified I guess, seeing that the word has no different meanings at all and didn't evolve from anything it looks like.

Just now, Yamet said:

I think it's fairly obvious that the name is offensive. I mean, it literally contains a slur so I don't really see how it wouldn't be offensive. 

3 hours ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

[...] this name is offensive to other while it's a name describing myself! [...]

The thing is, I try to insulting the only person that can take my insults, myself. But other find it offensive.

It's like they want to be offended at the end.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't know why you would want to change your name anyways, I like the one you have now, slur free :fluttershy:

But no, if your name has a slur in it of any kind...... then it's probably not an appropriate name to use in general, just saying :adorkable: 

Edited by King of Canterlot

2 hours ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

The thing is, I try to insulting the only person that can take my insults, myself. But other find it offensive.

If you're using a slur as an insult to anyone (including yourself), you're also insulting the group of people said slur is used against regardless if that's your intention or not. 

• Brohoof 3

This isn't like /mlp/ where you could freely call each other f****ts regardless if it's a joke or not, this is a place that tries to keeps any sort of content that could offend anyone out.

Needless to say, any slurs at all could offend anyone here so not using it is the best thing you can do.

11 hours ago, Yamet said:

If you're using a slur as an insult to anyone (including yourself), you're also insulting the group of people said slur is used against regardless if that's your intention or not. 

Im going to have to disagree here. To say you insult the group means everyone or the majority. I am part of that group and it does not bother me. It does not bother my boyfriend. I've seen many members of that group use it as a slur or term of endearment. Insult is on the individual level never a group-wide basis no matter how hard a person tries to make it that way. 

As for the OP

17 hours ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

Some might find it offensive some might not. An offense is taken not given when it comes to emotions. However, why take the chance of misunderstanding and rule violations? What does that benefit? 

As for creative, I'm sorry but I dont feel that it is so. The insults are common, combining common insults does not in my eyes make a creative new thing. 

I think it's pretty clever but people in this day in age are pretty sensitive. I don't really agree with people that are offended at how you describe yourself so I understand where you're coming from but it's always good to be safe in these situations.

Derpy isn't an offensive term in my eyes, it's more of a playful, teasing word to me. Some people nowadays are so sensitive over the littlest of things, and your name isn't worth getting upset over.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2018-06-24 at 5:52 AM, Passion said:

I've looked for ethymology behind the word, and every single one says it's disparaging. Was wondering if it perhaps was a word that held a completely different meaning in the past, but it seems that f****t is indeed mainly an insult and, apart from completely different, unrelated meaning, is used offensively.

Its general reception by the society is also negative. Case is, the borderline use of it *may* be taken as offensive by certain parties. The feeling here is justified I guess, seeing that the word has no different meanings at all and didn't evolve from anything it looks like.

Not quite, f****t had several other meanings before the slur. It could mean a bunch of branches or wood used as lumber or also had this meaning regarding the remainder of a lit cigarette (if I recall the later right).

People is dumb and love to be enraged so they can virtue signal.

The funny part of that slur comes if you analize the true meaning. A bunch of sticks together.

Either way, OP, your name is funny and creative, but you'll never be able to get your jokes across the braindead collective of hypocrites. One can't fight against the tidal wave of offended bystanders who just follow the leader and do whatever they are told that is "the good and empathic".

On 2018-06-24 at 5:54 PM, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

....if you are a faggot and you call yourself one then no... But the problem here is you called derpy a faguette a baguette+faggot.

Hence it is not known if derpy really is a faggot and its just you assuming derpy is one... Which is not fair and nice.... If someone calls me a faggot id be offended. Since i am not one. Some people might not be offended. But just to be safe you should ask derpy if it's alright for her to be called a faguette.

On 2018-06-24 at 9:05 PM, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

It's like they want to be offended at the end.

Hehehe you just want trouble.... I like you.

Yes, offensive. Especially when combining two words to try to hide the offensive word. Of course some will not see the word, but that doesn't make it less offensive.

There is a reason Hasbro changed her name to Muffins.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 11:26 PM, Jesse Terrence said:

*snip*

Appreciate bringing the origin to my attention, duly noted.

However, we also do not live in 16th century anymore. Language evolves, and it is not the current society that poisoned the word with its meaning. You can call people what you want, but it seems that, after more careful read this word has been used as a derogatory description even back 500 years ago. Sure it held different meaning. Its current known vulgar meaning seems to be around for at least a hundred years.

Generations have been raised in reality where this word is not exactly associated with sticks anymore, that meaning is vastly historical. And while the explanation provided indeed serves as proper explanation as to where the word itself is based, it fails to acknowledge that its has been twisted across hundreds of years, with its current result as we see today.

If OP wanted to call the character a bunch of sticks, nobody can stop them. But refusing to acknowledge the meanings into which the word has grown into over centuries would be their own fallacy to commit. While I understand the reasoning of people jumping to conclusions too easily, at once the intended use of the word as combination would be at the very least provocative knowing the modern era meaning behind it. And the fact this thread exists for confirmation that it would not be received as such confirms that OP knows of its alternate meanings.

User hasn’t been here in a while. That word is 100% offensive. Huh, I what does this button do? Says press if slur is used 

*presses

• The topic was locked