Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Are subtitles and/or dubbing common in your native language?

Not here anymore

So, I, myself am American. Which means I speak English. In my native language foreign shows/movies are usually subtitled but it depends on the channel. On Netflix, most foreign shows are subtitled but there's usually an option of dubbing. On Food Network, Iron Chef Japan is dubbed. (I love that show). However, the most common shows to be dubbed in my native tongue are anime. (Pokemon Sun and Moon is my favorite). Also, I know Spanish dubs many shows. However, they typically dub American shows and not most other shows. The only Japanese shows I know of that are dubbed is anime. I do believe Iron Chef is available subtitled on Canal Sony but I'm not sure. Not all American shows are dubbed or subtitled into Spanish. I wanted to learn Spanish so I randomly Googled Spanish subtitles for shows like The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. I found nothing. I also Googled Spanish subtitles for The Aquabats Super Show and found NADA! (However, Yo Gabba Gabba is dubbed into Spanish but not The Aquabats Super Show, which is not even subtitled.) However, normally I can find subtitles for Spanish shows, I looked up 31 Minutes (a Chilean show, known as 31 Minutos in it's native tongue). It was a pain in the neck to find subtitles but I eventually found them. I was going on subtitle websites. I only found subtitles for the 31 Minutes: The Movie, though. However, I recently searched YouTube for 31 Minutes and I found full episodes with English subs. Ironically, they were uploaded by the official YouTube channel.

here in greece cartoons usually get dubs and the rest are all subbed,but to tell the truth i like seeing them in the original language and luckily my english is good enough to not want subs,for japanese i also prefer the original sound to the english or greek dub unless its a really laid back show and i want to listen to it more than watch

I cannot even listen Finnish dubs anymore good thing is that they are pretty rare these days or at least I havent seen them 

Subs are ok and there are more of them but these days when I watch a show I don't even notice if the subs are Finnish or English if I don't pay mind to it specifically 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

When I was young, a lot of shows were subtitled and a few were dubbed, but nowadays it seems like everything just gets dubbed. Bit of a shame, since I learned English mainly by listening to what was being said while reading the subtitles.

• Brohoof 1

In Russia if something is on TV, it has a voiceover dub, as for anime and series, they're almost always have several voiceovers by amateur teams. Only games and movies have professional dub

So here subtitles are kinda niche thing

• Brohoof 2

In Portugal, children's cartoons/anime and animated movies get dubbed. In rare occasions, certain live action movies get dubbed too (like Enchanted for example). Everything else, we get subs instead, where swears stop existing. Unlike our neighbour, we don't dub adult series and the like, such as The Simpsons or South Park.

When I was younger, certain anime didn't get dubbed in our language and we watched the Spanish versions of those with Portuguese subtitles (like Doraemon and Ninja Hattori).

In Lithuania the TV shows and movies on TV usually have voiceover translation (where one or two people read the translation instead of multiple people acting as the characters), movies in the cinema have subtitles, but movies for children have dubs (presumably because small children cannot be expected to read).

With the digital TV services, with some channels and some shows you can choose to have the original language and subtitles.

I find the voiceover translation less annoying than dubs, because with dubs, the sync between the characters lips and the sound is usually way off.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...