Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rollercoaster of Friendship

TransitPony

(edited)

Today while I was browsing through EQD, I came across this post of a new movie. 

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/06/new-equestria-girls-special.html

It will air on July 7th on the Discovery Family channel during the Indepedence Day weekend at 11:30AM. Clearly a-fill-in for the current hiatus of Season 8.

Feel free to discuss anything regarding this movie. I think there's a chance human Twilight may return to have a big role in the film. 

Edited by TransitPony
  • Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle is best said:

why this topic shouldn't this be on Equestria girls 

That thread was focused on the first movie. This is a separate movie. 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Thank you for bringing this information to our attention, I'm sure this special will be just as good as, if not better than, Forgotten Friendship. :D

Anytime. ;) 

Edited by TransitPony

All we can do for the time being is speculate as to what this special is going to be about until more information becomes available.

• Brohoof 1

It'll be interesting to see what we get with this, as unlike Forgotten Friendship, we know very little about what we should expect. We know it's an amusement park theme, but that's really about it. There are a couple things I'm hoping for, but I'll save discussing those for when the special comes out.

To think that if it wasn't for the Friendship to Remember novel, we probably wouldn't have guessed that would be where Sunset reunites with Princess Celestia until the promos implied it.

• Brohoof 1

And like all the others I am sure it'll be DVD only and no bluray...

On 6/27/2018 at 11:41 PM, heavens-champion said:

Saw the leaked second part of the special. I won't spoil anything, though. Although, I will say that the second part was titled 'Me, My Selfie, and I'. Why the change?

Looks to me that particular part is named as such. Much like Forgotten Friendship, as that's the name of the special overall, but each individual part have their own names when they where split and released in youtube

On 6/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Is this really going to be a special because I can't find information about it anywhere?

It's weird to not get info of it considering it's supposedly airing net week :huh: . Maybe it has to do with last year's big-ass leaks, as one of the parts was indeed found it, which I've watched :D 

It seems human Twi will visit Equestria 

(edited)

I didn't see this topic earlier. It will certainly be interesting on seeing how this special will play out. 

Edited by Cash In

Funny, commenting about any lack of info, and a wild promo that has some scenes of it appear :dash:. There are even people claiming a background girl about the age of the human cuties is Megan :D

Well, turns out it actually did air today. I have to say, it felt so surreal watching something I knew virtually nothing about beforehand, especially given DF intentionally seemed to avoid advertising this - unlike Forgotten Friendship, which had an entire novel before we knew about the special's existence. It was quite the anomaly of TV programming IMO. But anyway, about the special itself, I thought it was... just kind of alright.

I really liked how AJ and Rarity were actually the focus on a long-form story, something we haven't even really gotten in FiM, let alone EqG. It gives a unique perspective and helps make this stand out from the other installments. The theme park, while it raised a lot of questions being called "Equestrialand" and all, did offer a number of entertaining set pieces. The modern technology helped use EqG's strengths to its advantage, and helped make it feel like a story that could only be told in EqG. And the moral was surprisingly unique and especially meaningful to today's generation.

There are a lot of downsides to it though. First of all, the plot feels rather disappointingly generic. It's not bad enough that you'll be able to predict the ending by the end of the first act, but it still feels rather played out due to the point where the characters themselves literally mock it, as if it's self-parody. Sometimes the writing could get clunky, especially as far as Rarity and AJ's friendship are concerned (I wouldn't blame you if you shipped them as you watched this), and they don't do much to make Vignette a sympathetic or even particularly compelling antagonist. Juniper Montage was at least a little relatable and had some charm to her, here it's just a popular snob.

But the biggest problem is that the pacing is just slooowww. Many scenes go on to the point of repetition, and it takes forever for the plot to just get to the point already. If EqG was allowed to make 22 minute episodes (which I still hope happens in the future BTW), this probably would've been one. It just doesn't do much to feel special-worthy, unlike Forgotten Friendship which felt like a slightly condensed movie.

Basically, I did enjoy the special for what it was, and unlike Mirror Magic it's not like there's anything that particularly disappointed me about it. I just can't help but feel like they could've been more substance than there was. Anyone else want EqG to become an 11/22 minute series?

• Brohoof 3

SPOILER ALERT I just watched the special and I adored that Applejack finally got a lot of screen time in EQG! Applejack is my 2nd favorite pony/human. I like how Applejack questions herself and always tries to do what is right for Rarity and the others. I liked the little twist/joke of Rainbow Dash being scared of the coaster. I liked how the writers made us feel like the character's were inside the phone of the bad guy like in Mirror Magic only to find out the truth later. I love that they kept the Forgotten Friendship transformation designs since those designs are my favorite of all the transformations we had so far. I also liked that they acknowledged the Mane 7 girls are still a band.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, this is delightful; the actual story here is episodic and super bland, but it's fitting that the villain's name is Vignette, because it's the small self-contained moments that really sing here. Rarity freaking out over her new job, Pinkie being the "fun inspector," Rainbow being afraid of the rollercoaster, Twilight and Sunset at the ring toss... it's all just so glorious, and several of these are among the funniest scenes in all of "Equestria Girls." Even though the plot is super cliched and sort of randomly ramps up in speed near the end, I loved how irreverent it was; aside from the very climax, it never took itself too seriously, and even subverted some of its most familiar elements after initially appearing to take them straight. The real nature of the white room the Rainbooms are stuck in? Amazing. Plus, every one of the Rainbooms has become more fleshed out and developed here: we see more of Applejack's interest in work outside the farm, Rainbow's balance between bravado and anxiety is spot-on, Rarity's job advancement is really pleasant to watch, Sunset's anger is finally codified as an essential trait, and Twilight continues to act like normal Twilight instead of doormat Sci-Twi from her early appearances. All of these characters have just the right balance between resembling their pony counterparts and being something entirely different. 

On the other hand, some of the plot intrusions are a total drag, as whenever this thing takes itself seriously it screeches to a halt - but, admittedly, that's not very often, and nearly every serious digression eventually leads to a great punchline. Vignette isn't a terribly interesting villain, but she's very to-the-point about being evil. Her redemption here is kinda blah, though; she shows absolutely no repentance at any point and her hidden depth feels incredibly shoehorned in, so I felt zero sympathy for her, and the themes about social media which she's clearly supposed to represent never really come together. Whatever this is trying to say is just way too broad to actually mean anything, and as such it generally comes down to "fans aren't real friends," which is really kinda played out, and "being terrible is bad," which is meaningless. There's actual potential for pointed socioeconomic critique in here, but of course I'd never expect that from this show. Honestly though, that doesn't really matter until like three minutes in the climax when this thing takes itself the most seriously, because otherwise it's just generally entertaining. 

Also, this contains what might be the most direct sexual reference I've seen from this show (#bangs), and is possibly the gayest thing the show has done since Friendship Games. Both of those make this weirder and more interesting to me, because man, the people behind these things can get away with nearly anything now. I hope they develop their villains a bit more next time. 

Score:
Entertainment: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Themes: 6/10
Story: 7/10
Overall: 80/100

(I so want to rate this higher, but the math just won't let me. My system works the vast majority of the time, but whenever an episode/special/movie/etc. is great entirely due to its humour, it tends to fall apart completely.)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I liked g1 Megan's cameo (even though her hair was colored like Danny's). Thoroughly enjoyed her calling out RD on her crap.

also- Sunset's mental breakdown.Delicious. XD

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PARAKEET!!!!!

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Well, this one came out of nowhere! :blink: I had heard it would air tomorrow but today? I won't complain – more pony (or human) content during the hiatus is always a good thing!

I found this special another good one. It didn't quite reach the levels of its amazing predecessor "Forgotten Friendship", not that I really expected it. But it was still entertaining in its own right, and showed how well EqG works in the 20 or 40 minute formats. It didn't have as many standout moments as some of the previous ones but neither did it have particular low points. Seeing Applejack in the starring role was great and a first in the EqG series (not counting shorts). Though the rest of the Mane 7 also got their opportunities to shine in some scenes, with all of them in appropriate roles. Fluttershy especially was really adorable! :squee:

Vignette Valencia was an interesting villain. Her use of acronyms and social media terms had a lot of potential to annoy, but I think that was intentional. :P And speaking of that theme, the social media aspect is far from relatable for me but didn't distract from my enjoyment of the special – I slightly feared this based on what little advance information I saw, but fortunately that wasn't the case! The special reminded me of "Mirror Magic" in some scenes, and there was even a quick reference to this fact. It was nice to see a lot of the minor cast again – I don't remember seeing Flim and Flam, for example, in a while in EqG! A reference to Nightmare Moon – what is she like in the EqG universe? Maybe a fictional character like Tirek? I liked the song at the end (not the one sung horribly by Vignette :laugh:) – like the rest of the special, it may not have been the absolute best in the series but still good and very fitting for MLP.

As for things that could have been better, I felt the ending was a little rushed. Ending with the song was a nice choice, but Vignette's reformation felt even more sudden than many of the earlier criticized ones. Did the Mane 7 even get to know what she was like (as in the positive sides of her personality)? This was an area where I feel there was room for improvement. Otherwise, the special had no notable problems, even though it wasn't MLP or EqG quite at its best.

I would give this episode a rating of 8.5/10. An enjoyable special with fun moments but not something I would count among the best entries in the MLP and EqG series.

• Brohoof 4

This was a great special, with a subpar plot and probably the worst villain in EQG.

Now, why was it great? Because of all the humorous little things from start to finish and the great characterization of the mane cast!

A few moments I found amazing:

- AJ's jealousy when the remane 6 meet Vignette Valencia.

- Dash's anxiety and Fluttershy's relieve on the rollercoaster.

- The whole Flim-Flam rigged game scenes and how beginning as a quick diversion, it became a full challenge for Twilight and Sunset, so much that they both forgot why did they started playing in the first place.

- Pinkie being funny again as a secondary character and not annoying! The "fun inspector" thing got me a loud laugh.

- Rarity's melt down... yep... you're not an almighty unicorn in this world Rares, working is hard and creative jobs are damn stressing!

- Applejack's self criticism and regret of how she approached Rarity even when she was telling the truth. Bravo AJ, you're really trying to fill up your pony counterpart's horshoes.

It's impossible not to mention all the shipping fuel that the episode has and, being Rarijack the main fueled pairing, I was really glad about it.

Overall I prefer Forgotten Friendship just a bit more, but Rollercoaster of Friendship's light humor was much needed and appreciated.

• Brohoof 5