Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rollercoaster of Friendship

TransitPony

7 minutes ago, Roughshod said:

I guess so. It seems the reception was slightly mixed though. The biggest issue I have with that is the sense that they have to make Vignette sympathetic in her defeat. There's nothing wrong with having an unrepentant villain in a story. Not that this villain was particularly captivating in any respect but my reaction to her dilemma has about as much emotional depth as an upvote on Reddit.

That was my biggest issue with it as well. It felt very gratuitous, especially given it does nothing to affect the plot and can very easily be ignored. With Juniper Montage, her redemption was the resolution to her special.

The crew has said that the fact villains are redeemed so much is a decision out of their control, but this is one case where it legitimately feels like the crew simply forgot about that rule until the last minute.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

The crew has said that the fact villains are redeemed so much is a decision out of their control, but this is one case where it legitimately feels like the crew simply forgot about that rule until the last minute.

As easy as swiping left. Or whatever you do on 'SnapGab'. Is anyone else perplexed and/or perturbed by the over-emphasis on phones in this serious? I know it's been there since the beginning and the reasoning for it is pretty obvious given the targeted demographic but I can't say it's an asset. Up until the recent shorts it was only really a simple prop device but now it's everywhere! When I imagine the kind of adventures that could be explored in EG texting is not at the top of the list. But I digress. 

18 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

That was my biggest issue with it as well. It felt very gratuitous, especially given it does nothing to affect the plot and can very easily be ignored. With Juniper Montage, her redemption was the resolution to her special.

Juniper Montage would have been a nice cameo to see at least. Or Wallflower Blush. Or a certain trio of devious dazzlers. But Hasbro doesn't want to spoil us too much. I find it slightly disappointing that there's such a lack of continuity potential lost here. Kind of makes the befriending of these girls a little harder to believe when they're never seen again. We did get to see the Crystal Prep students a few times though and a rather ignominious caricature of Adagio. So there's that. :/

Edited by Roughshod
BYBB

3 hours ago, Roughshod said:

I guess so. It seems the reception was slightly mixed though. The biggest issue I have with that is the sense that they have to make Vignette sympathetic in her defeat. There's nothing wrong with having an unrepentant villain in a story. Not that this villain was particularly captivating in any respect but my reaction to her dilemma has about as much emotional depth as an upvote on Reddit.

The alternative would be to just not have the girls forgive her at all, which would improve the story but doesn't seem to be something the writing crew is interested in. 

It's about a canon as you're going to get with enough wiggle room for people to leave it open to interpretation. Their blushing, handholding, dreamy eyed interpretation.

Hey, it's something in their dynamic I actually find interesting, so that's a first. 

As easy as swiping left. Or whatever you do on 'SnapGab'. Is anyone else perplexed and/or perturbed by the over-emphasis on phones in this serious? I know it's been there since the beginning and the reasoning for it is pretty obvious given the targeted demographic but I can't say it's an asset. Up until the recent shorts it was only really a simple prop device but now it's everywhere! When I imagine the kind of adventures that could be explored in EG texting is not at the top of the list. But I digress. 

Tying these characters to the technology and culture of our world is something I enjoy watching, but the way Equestria Girls goes about it feels kinda out-of-touch at the moment. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Roughshod said:

Juniper Montage would have been a nice cameo to see at least. Or Wallflower Blush. Or a certain trio of devious dazzlers. But Hasbro doesn't want to spoil us too much. I find it slightly disappointing that there's such a lack of continuity potential lost here. Kind of makes the befriending of these girls a little harder to believe when they're never seen again. We did get to see the Crystal Prep students a few times though and a rather ignominious caricature of Adagio. So there's that. :/

I feel the over-emphasis on phones in this particular special, while a little cringey at times, was mostly done in service to the plot focusing on how fame (particularly of the online variety) does not equate to friendliness. It's fine in the other material.

I seem to be the minority when I say this, but I do think Juniper or possibly Wallflower should appear again in a supporting role. The parts with Juniper acting friendlier toward the main cast show a decent amount of potential, and especially Starlight offering to be friends with her. And the Dazzlings really do need to make a return appearance at some point. I'm willing to wait, but I'd be disappointed if it never does happen.

I do think EqG could and should become more serialized, not just because of that but because seeing the characters evolve throughout their Senior year of high school could make for an extremely worthwhile coming of age story. They were already on a path toward that, might as well go all out.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

The alternative would be to just not have the girls forgive her at all, which would improve the story but doesn't seem to be something the writing crew is interested in. 

More importantly it's something DHX and Hasbro aren't interested in, regardless of the writers. They hold more sway over big story points like these. As long as we never see Vignette ever again I'll be fine.

Hey, it's something in their dynamic I actually find interesting, so that's a first. 

The thing about Rarijack is that it's been hinted at plenty before now. The fundamentals of their friendship was established way back in 'Look Before You Sleep' in season one. The classic rustic country vs sophisticated urbanite (in Rarity's case semi-urbanite). To MLP's credit it goes about it more in depth than that. There's been some expansion and different takes on the relationship such as in 'Simple Ways' but the basic idea remains the same, sometimes to the point of almost flanderizing their characters. That's all fine and good I guess. Not exactly groundbreaking but serviceable.

The romantic insinuations which were partially propelled by aforementioned dynamic was 'new' I guess but for me not really interesting given how it just stopped at the wink and the nod. So it's just a tease. But I'm interested in the Mane 7's friendship not intimate innuendos.

Still better than the Snips/Snails/Spike love triangle theories. :eww:

Tying these characters to the technology and culture of our world is something I enjoy watching, but the way Equestria Girls goes about it feels kinda out-of-touch at the moment. 

Naturally using technology and culture from our world is inevitable, in fact it's partially the point for the series from a storytelling perspective. When it's done well its barely noticeable but when emphasized it can come across as pretty shallow and just shameless pandering. Not a great endorsement that a pivotal aspect of the series is best presented when it's understated. At least in my opinion. There are many topics, such as the differences between the education styles of Equestria and 'Humania' which could be interesting to explore but are never touched upon. So, a bit disappointing in that regard. The hackneyed setting of a high school is what does this the most for me. It's just so uninspired that, while not a deal breaker, certainly doesn't hold a candle to the world of their pony counterparts.

Edited by Roughshod
BYBB

10 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I feel the over-emphasis on phones in this particular special, while a little cringey at times, was mostly done in service to the plot focusing on how fame (particularly of the online variety) does not equate to friendliness. It's fine in the other material.

That moral was arguably done better in the episode 'Sweet and Elite'. Of course that was technically a different character and not to mention several years ago but I think it did a better job in less time without all the filler that was in this presentation.

13 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I seem to be the minority when I say this, but I do think Juniper or possibly Wallflower should appear again in a supporting role. The parts with Juniper acting friendlier toward the main cast show a decent amount of potential, and especially Starlight offering to be friends with her. And the Dazzlings really do need to make a return appearance at some point. I'm willing to wait, but I'd be disappointed if it never does happen.

I don't see why they wouldn't utilize their own assets in such a way. Most of the fandom loves that kind of continuity and character building. I suspect a return for the Dazzlings may be possible before Gen 5 comes around which will likely mean the general end of all production for Gen 4 related content. There was a hint in this special and that's been a good indication from the animators in the past that something is coming. But I'm certainly not holding my breath. 

19 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I do think EqG could and should become more serialized, not just because of that but because seeing the characters evolve throughout their Senior year of high school could make for an extremely worthwhile coming of age story. They were already on a path toward that, might as well go all out.

Preach. If they're going to do it now's as good a time as any. Go all the way. Finish it with their graduation and a finale showing everything they've learned.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Roughshod said:

Preach. If they're going to do it now's as good a time as any. Go all the way. Finish it with their graduation and a finale showing everything they've learned.

There are just so many overarching arcs I can see them doing. They could show the girls become more proactive in seeking magical phenomena, highlight the general stresses of being a Senior student, and - most intriguing of all IMO - have the magical occurrences cause Sunset to gradually start to think back to her time at Equestria, eventually elevating to the point where she becomes homesick and debates moving back for good.

There's something truly fantastic in there - I'd argue better than FiM. Pity that Hasbro doesn't seem to see it.

It's not even like any of these things are out of the realm of what they're okay with exploring. The Sunset thing was initially explored in a deleted Friendship Games subplot (which IMO wouldn't have done the idea justice anyway, so I'm kind of glad it was cut), and occasionally they touch on general high school themes - just in a fun, romanticized way.

Edited by Toon4Thought

(edited)

I haven't watched all of it yet but I saw that they keep the costumes from Forgotten Friendship which I like. They are way better than the ones from Camp Everfree.

Edited by Twilight Luna

(edited)
59 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

There are just so many overarching arcs I can see them doing. They could show the girls become more proactive in seeking magical phenomena, highlight the general stresses of being a Senior student, and - most intriguing of all IMO - have the magical occurrences cause Sunset to gradually start to think back to her time at Equestria, eventually elevating to the point where she becomes homesick and debates moving back for good.

See, one of the problems I have with Rollercoaster of Friendship - and by extension many of the specials/shorts since Legend of Everfree - is the total lack of overall direction and growth or consequences to any developments. It's like they're combining the slice of life and adventure arcs of FiM but without the crucial parts of either. It's often the case that there's been more reliance on quick humor and spectacle than actual storytelling. Lots of mcguffins but not a lot of reflection. Except in Sunset's case. A big reason for her huge surge in popularity is that she's mostly well written. Almost more maturely than you'd expect in a series like this at first glance. She actually has a backstory and challenges that make us want to care about her. She's sincere and relatable and strives to better herself and support her friends. 

But the human Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash for example? I don't care about them. It's like the writers are just relying on our knowledge of FiM and just giving them one liners to fill in the time. They're completely one dimensional and aside from their stand in for the EoH are pretty disposable as support characters. Don't try to bring up Dance Magic or Movie Magic as counter examples either. While not terrible, they certainly didn't show us anything we didn't already know. Yes Rarity likes fashion. Yes Rainbow Dash likes Daring Do. Good thing they reminded me or I might have forgotten! The Shadowbolts had a better showing in that than the main characters in my opinion. Now Rollercoaster of Friendship makes an attempt to remedy by taking the focus largely off of Sunset and Twilight but it doesn't do anything really original with the premise of Applejack and Rarity's relationship. 

The same goes for Canterlot High. Sure we've seen it but we haven't really been shown it. I don't have anywhere near the attachment to the cafeteria or the hallways that I do to Sweet Apple Acres or the CMC clubhouse. Why? It's not simply because I haven't known them as long, but because there's nothing to know. There's no significance to these places except as a backdrop for dialogue and the occasional conflict resolution. They're totally interchangeable just like most of the random people you see occupying them. They don't care about that place(unless we're explicitly told they do on occasion) and neither do I. I don't buy it.

I would honestly prefer to have Sunset return to Equestria permanently. With the possible effect of having the portal be finally closed/destroyed as a plot development for dramatic effect. That would be a good book end to how the series started in the first place with her running away from Equestria. But I don't think that's something we'll likely see. It was suggested throughout Friendship Games but was ultimately dropped rather anticlimacticly. Forgotten Friendship finally pulled off the reunion of Sunset with Celestia(a bit overdue in my opinion) which was nice to see but felt more like fanservice than a crucial element of her story arc.

59 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

There's something truly fantastic in there - I'd argue better than FiM. Pity that Hasbro doesn't seem to see it.

Woah, let's not get out of hoof.

Edited by Roughshod

17 hours ago, Roughshod said:

The thing about Rarijack is that it's been hinted at plenty before now. The fundamentals of their friendship was established way back in 'Look Before You Sleep' in season one. The classic rustic country vs sophisticated urbanite (in Rarity's case semi-urbanite). To MLP's credit it goes about it more in depth than that. There's been some expansion and different takes on the relationship such as in 'Simple Ways' but the basic idea remains the same, sometimes to the point of almost flanderizing their characters. That's all fine and good I guess. Not exactly groundbreaking but serviceable.

The romantic insinuations which were partially propelled by aforementioned dynamic was 'new' I guess but for me not really interesting given how it just stopped at the wink and the nod. So it's just a tease. But I'm interested in the Mane 7's friendship not intimate innuendos.

The one Rarity/Applejack episode I unreservedly enjoy is "Sisterhooves Social" from season 2, where their dynamic is based on their differing approaches to family. All the others just obsess over their differences in rather predictable ways, and I find that uninteresting at best and incredibly obnoxious at worst. Here it's a bit better, because there's some pretty solid comedic timing all around, but Applejack being jealous of Rarity getting a job is not very specific, and it's still mostly about the two of them being upset with each other. I'm not that interested in the mane 7 having romantic relationships with each other either, but all the romantic subtext at least adds something to their dynamic aside from constant arguing. 

17 hours ago, Roughshod said:

Naturally using technology and culture from our world is inevitable, in fact it's partially the point for the series from a storytelling perspective. When it's done well its barely noticeable but when emphasized it can come across as pretty shallow and just shameless pandering. Not a great endorsement that a pivotal aspect of the series is best presented when it's understated. At least in my opinion. There are many topics, such as the differences between the education styles of Equestria and 'Humania' which could be interesting to explore but are never touched upon. So, a bit disappointing in that regard. The hackneyed setting of a high school is what does this the most for me. It's just so uninspired that, while not a deal breaker, certainly doesn't hold a candle to the world of their pony counterparts.

I'm not sure I see the "pandering" aspect. If the writers actually know what they're talking about, it'll feel like an organic part of the world and will come up in ways which are logical for the characters or at least lead into clever humour. That's mostly the case in Equestria Girls, but stuff like the selfie drone in "Forgotten Friendship" and the entire character of Vignette Valencia here suggest to me that they're not entirely in touch with what the kids are into these days, or why people actually use social media. 

16 hours ago, Roughshod said:

See, one of the problems I have with Rollercoaster of Friendship - and by extension many of the specials/shorts since Legend of Everfree - is the total lack of overall direction and growth or consequences to any developments. It's like they're combining the slice of life and adventure arcs of FiM but without the crucial parts of either. It's often the case that there's been more reliance on quick humor and spectacle than actual storytelling. Lots of mcguffins but not a lot of reflection. Except in Sunset's case. A big reason for her huge surge in popularity is that she's mostly well written. Almost more maturely than you'd expect in a series like this at first glance. She actually has a backstory and challenges that make us want to care about her. She's sincere and relatable and strives to better herself and support her friends. 

But the human Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash for example? I don't care about them. It's like the writers are just relying on our knowledge of FiM and just giving them one liners to fill in the time. They're completely one dimensional and aside from their stand in for the EoH are pretty disposable as support characters. Don't try to bring up Dance Magic or Movie Magic as counter examples either. While not terrible, they certainly didn't show us anything we didn't already know. Yes Rarity likes fashion. Yes Rainbow Dash likes Daring Do. Good thing they reminded me or I might have forgotten! The Shadowbolts had a better showing in that than the main characters in my opinion. Now Rollercoaster of Friendship makes an attempt to remedy by taking the focus largely off of Sunset and Twilight but it doesn't do anything really original with the premise of Applejack and Rarity's relationship. 

The recent stuff has made major strides in the right direction with Sunset Shimmer, I feel - in "Legend of Everfree," Sunset felt perfect in a very shallow and uninteresting way, so I've enjoyed how the recent short stuff has expanded upon the anger issues implied in some of the films, as well as how it's established her as being artistically-inclined. My issue with her continues to be somewhat similar to your issue with the other characters - the stories surrounding her, most recently "Forgotten Friendship," are still obsessed with her recent past, still trying to show off things which we've already seen. We don't get greater detail about her past, and we don't get any idea of what she wants to do in the future. That's not something My Little Pony needs, necessarily, which is perhaps why I liked her more than ever in "Rollercoaster of Friendship" here - her exaggerated quirks are used for the same kind of humour that brought me to the show in the first place. Right now, I think what My Little Pony could benefit most from right now is trying to find novel situations for its characters. 

The short format is both the strength and the weakness of recent Equestria Girls stuff, as it doesn't really allow for emotionally substantial storytelling, but it also forces the writers to focus on concise wit and, again, novelty. Unfortunately, both here and in "Forgotten Friendship," it's resulted in a story which is too segmented to make a greater coherent statement. I like "Rollercoaster of Friendship" because I like all the individual skits, and for really no other reason, but I mainly come to Equestria Girls to see the characters I already care about in a different context, so that doesn't bother me too much. Furthermore, I feel the recent short stuff has provided us with much more detail about these seven's lives, which is much more than any of the movies really offered. That stuff is interesting to me, and the decision to shift focus to different characters - as well as the fact that the chose-your-own-adventure shorts were in continuity with each other - makes me think that something a little more like the show's better episodes could be possible in the future. 

Besides, I think you give Friendship is Magic too much credit in that regard. 

16 hours ago, Roughshod said:

The same goes for Canterlot High. Sure we've seen it but we haven't really been shown it. I don't have anywhere near the attachment to the cafeteria or the hallways that I do to Sweet Apple Acres or the CMC clubhouse. Why? It's not simply because I haven't known them as long, but because there's nothing to know. There's no significance to these places except as a backdrop for dialogue and the occasional conflict resolution. They're totally interchangeable just like most of the random people you see occupying them. They don't care about that place(unless we're explicitly told they do on occasion) and neither do I. I don't buy it.

I feel you care way more about the setting of FiM than I do. 

I've seen the special 3 times now, and I must say Vignette Valencia has grown on me.

I still think she's too one dimensional, but she has these killer lines which show us how much of a shallow person she is. Her anticlimactic speech of how she got magic in her phone is pure gold and the way she tells Rarity "Stop unmagiquing my magique thingy" is hilarious.

I think I might like her more than Sunset (villain) and Juniper now... Would have to rewatch EQG and Movie+Mirror Magic to confirm though, and I really don't feel like doing so anytime soon.

Alrighty, Just recently saw the EG Special and to overall sum it up I enjoyed it. Rarijack is basically a thing now at this point (at least imo) which I've always shipped those two, Liked how this one was more focused towards AJ and Rarity's relationship.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/8/2018 at 11:54 PM, YoshiAngemon said:

Also, I wonder how the Equestrian Magic keeps seeping in. Could this one have something to do with whatever Cozy Glow has in mind for "School Raze?"

Honestly I'm currently of the opinion that it doesn't. I mean look at what they've faced so far

Spoiler

EG = Villain from Equestria stealing and bringing in Equestrian artifact, RR = Villains banished from Equestria, FG = Science girl causes massive imbalance by draining magic from people exposed to the artifact in EG, EF = Mysterious geodes in pedistal from Equestria causes problem, FF = mystical artifact from Equestria dumped there by Clover.

Equestrian magic doesn't seep through to the Equestria Girls universe rather every single powerful or experienced mage uses their universe as a dumping ground for dangerous artifacts and villains they can't defeat properly.

As for the episode itself it did drag a little but there were amusing moments like Applejack being horrified she sounded like Granny Smith when ranting about modern technology, Flim and Flam taking pity on the girls because htey were doing so badly, that kid with his mum who wound up getting the parakeet.

Also I agree about the Applejack/Rarity subtext soooo many blushes in this special and 90% are between those two talking to each other.

I did like Rarity's meltdown "Bring me more clothes to scream into."

Vignette's redemption did feel unreal I agree especially given how little repentence she showed prior to that.

I found it interesting that Rainbow Dash kept running around just like the Equestria universe version is usually flying rather than walking or standing the human one is constantly using her power unlike the others.

I wonder if anyone could verify this but is this the first time that either Friendship is Magic or Equestria Girls used the word “stupid”? I always felt that they avoided stupid or idiot only to cleanse the palette for kids so it felt so cathartic to have Rarity describe the general hijinks so aptly.

Oh also the humour was the most meta it's ever been.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I re watched the  special again.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

The emotional core here is troubled. The Applejack/Rarity stuff is a bit too simplistic for my tastes, and I just don't really sympathize with Applejack's jealousy; meanwhile, the Vignette Valencia stuff doesn't really land at all. The references to focus testing don't really go anywhere, and the stuff about the shallowness of fame comes out of nowhere. I can't sympathize with her, because everything we've seen prior makes her seem like a selfish, cynical idiot, even before Equestrian magic got a hold. This sort of sags every time it tries to do anything remotely serious. 

Good thing it doesn't take itself very seriously at all, then; I found it just as funny this time, even if some of the big surprises didn't delight me quite as much. Part 3 is my favourite, because it has the ring toss and the fun inspection, but part 1 has a bunch of small stuff I missed the first time around, and all five are generally hilarious. At best, this verges on self-parody, and as someone who's grown increasingly tired of My Little Pony's more bombastic content, I have no complaint about that. To me, the way to make this even better would be to strip out anything remotely resembling stakes or an emotional core. Just make a bunch of shorts mashed together with a villain sort of creeping around the sidelines. Now that would be a riot. 

Score:
Entertainment: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Themes: 6/10
Story: 5/10
Overall: 75/100

• The title was changed to Rollercoaster of Friendship
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Probably me least favorite of the films and longer specials, but still enjoyable.  I just thought it was... mm... a tad uninspired, a tad predictable.  I did really enjoy the bit where it turned out they weren't trapped in oblivion, but just in a white room.  That was hilarious.

What is this Rainbow-is-afraid-of-roller-coasters thing?  If memory serves, wasn't pony Rainbow scared of that coaster in Las Pegasus when she took the old gals club there?  I believe I did a bit on how it makes no sense for Rainbow, a WONDERBOLT, to be scared of a roller coaster, as everything she does while flying greatly eclipses anything a roller coaster would do.  And it turned out that human Rainbow is just as much of a coaster wimp.  Well, at least they're consistent.

17 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Probably me least favorite of the films and longer specials, but still enjoyable.  I just thought it was... mm... a tad uninspired, a tad predictable.  I did really enjoy the bit where it turned out they weren't trapped in oblivion, but just in a white room.  That was hilarious.

What is this Rainbow-is-afraid-of-roller-coasters thing?  If memory serves, wasn't pony Rainbow scared of that coaster in Las Pegasus when she took the old gals club there?  I believe I did a bit on how it makes no sense for Rainbow, a WONDERBOLT, to be scared of a roller coaster, as everything she does while flying greatly eclipses anything a roller coaster would do.  And it turned out that human Rainbow is just as much of a coaster wimp.  Well, at least they're consistent.

Its about control when flying shes in complete control wheras on the coaster she has none I'd say.

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Senko said:

Its about control when flying shes in complete control wheras on the coaster she has none I'd say.

You know what?  You're absolutely right.  Don't know why I never thought of this before.  In fact, I have a friend in real life who's a real car guy--a gearhead.  He off-roads and drag races.  I mean actual legal, legit drag races.  Y'know, the sanctioned ones on drag strips.  He races at... like... 120 mph or whatever, and none of that bothers him a bit, but he used to be terrified of roller coasters.  He actually got over the coaster fear, but for a long time we was afraid of them, but did things in his cars that put coasters to shame.  The difference?  Control, just as you said.  But ironically, as we all know, that feeling is an illusion, because the roller coaster is far, far safer than drag racing, where one slip can mean exploding, fiery death.  But it's that illusion of feeling like we have control over it that makes us feel better, which is why many people are much more afraid of riding on an airplane than driving their own car, even though we all know the statistics there as well.

I will add, though, that if pony Rainbow ever fell out of a roller coaster, she wouldn't die.  Just sayin'.

5 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

You know what?  You're absolutely right.  Don't know why I never thought of this before.  In fact, I have a friend in real life who's a real car guy--a gearhead.  He off-roads and drag races.  I mean actual legal, legit drag races.  Y'know, the sanctioned ones on drag strips.  He races at... like... 120 mph or whatever, and none of that bothers him a bit, but he used to be terrified of roller coasters.  He actually got over the coaster fear, but for a long time we was afraid of them, but did things in his cars that put coasters to shame.  The difference?  Control, just as you said.  But ironically, as we all know, that feeling is an illusion, because the roller coaster is far, far safer than drag racing, where one slip can mean exploding, fiery death.  But it's that illusion of feeling like we have control over it that makes us feel better, which is why many people are much more afraid of riding on an airplane than driving their own car, even though we all know the statistics there as well.

I will add, though, that if pony Rainbow ever fell out of a roller coaster, she wouldn't die.  Just sayin'.

True but there also may be some of the "enjoy being scared" we see in the Halloween episodes where while she know's she isn't in any real danger she still enjoy's the illusion of it for a time.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I did enjoy this special. Not nearly as much as Forgotten Friendship, but it was mostly positive. I really liked the concept of Equestria Land. Vignette Valencia...was a pretty meh villain. The gags with her using all her over-top acronyms did get pretty stale. I know she was intended to portray a  social media star, which isn't inherently a bad idea, but this wasn't really the right way to do it. The Rarity X AJ shipping didn't make me feel anything, because I'm not a shipper, but I'm glad they didn't go overboard. Solid special overall. 

Edited by Cash_In

• 3 weeks later...