Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Hearth's Warming Club  

82 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Ocellus: "That's a horrible story!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Sandbar: "How can you be so cool about this?" Smolder: "We're mad. We just show it differently." (I dislike it!)
    • Gallus: *rolls eyes* (…meh…)
    • Yona: "Happy Snilldar Fest!" *smashes bucket happily* (I like it!)
    • Everycreature: *stays with Gallus so he doesn't spend Hearth's Warming alone* (I LOVE IT! <3)
  2. 2. Which one of the Student Six's stories is your favorite?

• Ocellus's
    • Yona's
    • Smolder's
    • Sandbar's
    • Silverstream's
    • Gallus's
  3. 3. How hearing what Gallus went through, how big of a hug did you want to give him?

• A great, huge hug
    • A major, huge-r hug
    • A dragon-sized, monster hug

Wow, right after I had just finished watch the 4:30 showing of Christopher Robin (Nothing grand, but honest and simple; thumbs up and I enjoyed it :wub:), I literally dropped my popcorn as I left the cinema as soon as I saw Heartswarming's Club aired earlier.

I've just spent the last half hour watching the episode and for now, I have one things to say.

1. So, Post-Changeling-reformation, Young Changelings DO look like young colorful butterflies, and not like black, starving caterpillars. I'm a little disappointed that apparently, the Changelings don't go through the caterpillar to butterfly cycle as I thought. Oh well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm going to go re-watch some parts. I think I might have misunderstood some things.

And honestly, it's tricky and slow to type all this out on a phone. :P So, I'll say more later.

Okay, it WAS pretty funny that the 

Spoiler

Changelings took Twilight's instructions on Heartswarming so literally to the point that Gift Exchange felt like a game of Hot Potato.

3 minutes ago, Starlightglimmer15 said:

How was Christopher Robin I was planning on seeing that this weekend.

Like I said, nothing grand. But its heart was in the right place. Also who knew that 

Spoiler

Gloomy Old Eeyore would be the one to make the crowd laugh the most with his honest bleak outlook on life?

Spoiler

I thought this was a nice episode. :yay: It was great to finally see the Student 6 in starring roles. They provided a lot of insight into the cultures of the different species, which was interesting.

The episode got better as it went on. Some nice moments showcasing the characters' personalities – I particularly liked Smolder's story. :P We finally saw Gabby (and Gilda) again – and the Storm King! The later parts of the episode were really emotional. Seeing Ocellus crying was sad, but the most emotional moment was easily when Gallus talked about his life with the other griffons. :( Again, they did a lot to build the chemistry between the characters. It's so nice to see how the students are friends with each other, in spite of all their differences, maybe even more significant than those of the Mane 6! The small humorous moments worked well too, such as Sandbar's story and the changelings' carols.

An enjoyable episode, though I wish it had been aired closer to Christmas (I'll have to give it a rewatch in a few months). Based on first viewing, I'd give it a rating of 8.75/10. Brian Hohlfeld did a great job with his second episode as a writer – I liked it better than his first (Surf and/or Turf).

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 4

How can we all not agree this was an amazing episode, finally giving the students some extra...character to their characters and some new layers and backstory. 

And Gallus has a really sad history. It's legitimately upsetting to hear about, it's far more than we ever got out of Scootaloo.

• Brohoof 2

Now I really wanna know what happened to Gallus' family! Who knows? Maybe he's actually the heir to Griffonstone! Who knows?

But let's see... we saw Sandbar's family, we saw Yona's family, we saw Silverstream's family back in Surf and/or Turf, and in Ocellus' race they're pretty much ALL her family! But we did NOT get SMOLDER'S FAMILY! All we got was a legendary story from her! Other than her having a brother, we know nothing about her family still!

2 hours ago, JH24 said:

It was a good episode, but for some reason I didn't really like the portrayal of Twilight and RD in this one.

If the situation was something like what the Wonderbolts did to Dash in Rarity Investigates, I'd agree with you. But there are some really key differences here.

1. Right off the bat, Dash, Twi, and Spike knows that one of the Student is is the suspect. Every student who lived in Ponyville already left their quarters for the break. They're the only ones left. And the back door to escape was already locked.
  2. To the teachers' point of view, no one admitting guilt is the same as admitting guilt. Someone from the group is lying, and no one else cooperating means they're all covering up for each other and sabotaging the investigation.
  3. Unlike the Wonderbolts, Dash, Twi, and Spike had the evidence and saw the culprit. They just had to bide their time for someone to fess up. Given the school's nature and the stakes, it wasn't going to take so long.
  • Brohoof 3

Spoiler

You know what. I actually LOVE this episode. Maybe it’s an episode that won’t hold up on repeat viewings or something, but for right now, that was the EXACT type of story I wanted from the Student 6. It’s not really a story about the plot, it’s a story entirely about World building nuggets and showcasing the 6’s chemistry together and I find it wonderful. They’re so great.

Each culture was showcased with like, some level of dignity (or at least somberness). Yaks aren’t all about smashing, but they lean into that perception for comedy, only so Yona can prove it wrong and she’s awesome. I love her. She is perfectly Yak, but in a package where it’s far more endearing than annoying. Their song made me smile.

Smoulder with the feast of fire, it perfectly sidestepped a fear I saw people have that the dragons will suddenly be retconned to have sentimental holidays. But no, they have a dick measuring competition all to win a material prize, and the previous victor won with the meanest story you can imagine. One interesting thing about this is, given that apparently a hearthswarming has past since the Changelings were redeemed, this means that the last Feast of Fire would’ve happened in front of EMBER. Meaning she had to listen to someone tell that story. Which is hilarious to me. Or maybe SHE was the one who told it.

Ocellus. I like how the Changelings don’t really have holidays like the others. It actually makes sense why they don’t. They’re still growing as a culture, and so they don’t quite get it. She’s adorable.

Sandbar. His story was pathetic, and it was clearly intentionally so. One thing about him that I noticed in this episode. He’s not JUST a pony. In some ways he’s kind of the embodiment of what the other cultures probably think of when they’re told to imagine ponies. At least someone like Smoulder. He’s milquetoast. He tries to sing lame songs. His stories are vapid and go nowhere. He’s never known hardship. And yet they like him anyway. It’s gotta be something to meet someone who fulfils so many of the stereotypes you have for a race, only for that to not ultimately matter in your opinion of them at all.

Silverstream. Everything about that holiday makes sense. It makes sense why it exists, it fits with what we saw of Hipogriffs in Surf and/or Turf. How they seem to adore how awesome they are. And I love that Novo is taking the initiative to have this shit printed out. She wants the rest of the world to know what her kingdom is. To understand it.

And then there’s Gallus. He pretty much carries the entire emotional weight of this story. He’s the clear stand out. He’s the one who learns, he’s the one with the most damage and the most growth. The most snarky and dismissive of all of them was the one who desperately didn’t want his friends to go anywhere. It’s selfish but you feel where he’s coming from. The Griffon holiday was almost profoundly depressing. Just the way he described it. A time when everyone comes together with people they don’t like to eat food they complain about and recieve gifts they hate. It communicates just how lost as a people the griffons were after losing the Idol of Boreas. A realm of bitter people forcing themselves to be together out of some ancient obligation or tradition. And yet Gallus still felt lonely, and like he was missing out no matter how sad the "celebration" really was. Because at the end of the day, those Griffons all had someone to be with. He had no one.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Yona's HWE story is nice, too. Can't help but adore hearing her smash that bucket. <3

Smolder's story, though, had a really sad, cruel twist.

Sandbar's story is horrible. Not in quality, but cheesy horrible in a satirical, not-taken-seriously way.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I've been aware of the culprit for a while now, but there's some excellent foreshadowing here:

Spoiler
  1. Of the Student Six, Gallus is the only one to be that moody at the reference of the holiday. When they left the room, he was the only one to be mad.
  2. Gallus asks about cousins with a straight face. He genuinely has no idea what they are.
  3. His story's the last one, but the story's so organic that you don't notice ahead of time.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

I don't know how well this will age or not, but right now, all I have to say is THIS is the type of episode that not only the Student Six need, but Season 8, too. It might be the second-best episode of the season.

• Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Anyone else laughed and/or aww'd at…

Hide contents

Ocellus and her group of changelings taking Twilight's HWE instructions a little too literally? :laugh::pinkiecutehat:

I pointed out first!

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Okay, it WAS pretty funny that the 

Reveal hidden contents

Changelings took Twilight's instructions on Heartswarming so literally to the point that Gift Exchange felt like a game of Hot Potato.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I don't know how well this will age or not, but right now, all I have to say is THIS is the type of episode that not only the Student Six need, but Season 8, too. It might be the second-best episode of the season.

What's the first? Molt Down?

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

The Break Up Break Down.

You know episode viewing is not meant to be objective. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Just now, Will Guide said:

You know episode viewing is not meant to be objective. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

He...he never claimed it was objective. You asked and he answered.

6 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

He...he never claimed it was objective. You asked and he answered.

Never thought I would use the "I see" reaction.

Just now, RyanMahaffe said:

A non-answer, perhaps explaining what you meant would be whatever but meh.

Have you seen the small Starlight face? It means "I see". You missed my point that What the individual viewer takes away from an episode is more important than whether it's good or not. Even anow objectively bad episode like Fame and Misfortune for example can bring good points to the right viewer.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Never thought I would use the "I see" reaction.

They all have a function. ;)

But seriously, I believe it's better than THWC due to its strong dialogue, story, characterization, and message. But I'm not going to snob out like a few years ago and say it's objectively better than the others, because it is opinion-based. How high people hold eps like this, Break Down, Horse Play, Mean 6, Surf, or Molt Down is up to the individual.

I'm ending my part of the debate here and getting back on track. I got a poll to make!

Edited by Dark Qiviut

2 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Have you seen the small Starlight face? It means "I see". You missed my point that What the individual viewer takes away from an episode is more important than whether it's good or not. Even anow objectively bad episode like Fame and Misfortune for example can bring good points to the right viewer.

Okay fair enough. To me it just seemed like you were responding with such a basic random comment about objectivity.
Also F&F isn't "objectively bad" that's ridiculous but debating it here would be off topic.

Edited by RyanMahaffe
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

They all have a function. ;)

But seriously, I believe it's better than THWC due to its strong dialogue, story, characterization, and message. But I'm not going to snob out like a few years ago and say it's objectively better than the others, because it is opinion-based. How high people hold eps like this, Break Down, Horse Play, Mean 6, Surf, or Molt Down is up to the individual.

I'm ending my part of the debate here and getting back on track. I got a poll to make!

Ok? What's with people stealing my answer without giving me some credit?

I pointed out the literal Changeling thing and the subjective vs. Objective thing first. And no one even gives me a second look. Do I even matter? :(