Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Diamond Tiara did what she did before redemption

BlinkZ

So we all know Diamond Tiara was a brat prior her redemption, and I honestly can't just blame is all on her mother. I think some were a cry out for attention given both er parents seem to never be around for her. Heck, Randolph a better parent. 

For example, the whole Gabby Gums thing could have been her doing it to feel special, to feel important even if it meant stepping over others. (her mother probably taught her that one.)
Her father only got her into that bunny hop thing because she insulted Granny smith, a business partner not because she did wrong. That poor filly was just lashing out for attention this entire time.

What do you think?

Gabby Gums was DT enjoying the success in the sudden spike of the paper's popularity since she wanted to change its direction..

• Brohoof 1

Ooh time to unleash my inner Diamond Tiara fanboy...

See I never liked the explanation that "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" gave to Diamond Tiara. But..but it was because of her parents..NONSENSE! 

Where were her parents at her cute-ceanera? Where was her mother's drive to win as the editor? Sure you can say they're being neglectful causing this behavior. Still, her parents were never a big part of her antagonistic behavior but you know what was? What all it took for Diamond Tiara to act like she did?

Her age, she's just a kid, and a smart and manipulative kid at that. The writers took their premise of an antagonistic child, and rolled with her.

The only thing I will accept is that her stuck up parents (Spoiled more than Filthy) raising her in the same environment so that she would enjoy the lifestyle. That's exactly what she did, she enjoyed her lifestyle she was given. From extravagant parties, to dresses, to trips to Manehattan, to private swimming pools. She was living it up and her family shows that when you have it you flaunt it. 

But then what of the bullying of the CMC. Oh, it's because she shouldn't associate with "blank flanks." *EHHHHNNNT!!!* Wrong. If that were the case Babs shouldn't have been her friend, inviting the CMC over in Twilight Time should have felt risky and other kids in the class should be experiencing their bullying. Sure they experience her bragging, but not much else (maybe some blackmail here and there though). No, when it comes to DT bullying, she was written smart enough to not be a treat to the CMC but still be an antagonist. A big problem for cartoon bullies is the bully is written based on the protagonist instead of the story. If the world must bring down the protagonist the bully is usually the one to do it. However Diamond Tiara is different, she doesn't bully just because the story needs the CMC to suffer. Maybe it's to bring to light an insecurity the CMC face, maybe it's for her own benefit, or maybe it's clear she's just trying to get a rise of them for her amusement like real bullies do.

She was having fun with her life. She was a spoiled child bragging gleefully about everything, get a reaction from those not in her place and fueling her self-esteem that constantly is lowered by the CMC's successes so she had to get them back somehow.

Apologies if this was a little too rambly or deviated from the initial question but I loved Diamond Tiara as an antagonist and just miss the way she used to be in the show, (compared to now when she's not even in the show at all!:angry:)

• Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 11:41 PM, KH7672 said:

She was having fun with her life. She was a spoiled child bragging gleefully about everything, get a reaction from those not in her place and fueling her self-esteem that constantly is lowered by the CMC's successes so she had to get them back somehow.

I'm only quoting a piece of this, even though the whole thing is really an impressive study of Diamond Tiara psychology. I was preparing a whole discourse but dang it, this pretty much covered it. So, thanks for a well-thought commentary @KH7672

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I forget the name of the episode but there is one I saw out of order that showed her mother pushing her to be the absolute best. But that is only so much of an excuse. Her father seems to dote on her and so is likely going to mitigate any pressure on her. 

I think she is a smart kid that knows how to get her way and is used to that. Combine it with the small pressures from her mother and boom you have the sadistic little filly that we see. 

Her mother is a word I won’t say here. She brainwashed Diamond Tiara into believing that having lots of money made her better than every pony else. Unfortunately it took a long time for Diamond to see the truth about her mother and give her a good slapping.