Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro really sucks at Princess stuff

ManaMinori

Om guys, here's the thing. In all its irony, the reason why we have so many alicorn princesses in FiM is marketing. And I'm sure all of us know by now that Hasbro execs shot down Celly and Luna being Queens, like Lauren Faust had pushed for, but instead, used their ultimate authority to coerece Faust into making them Princesses (along with more ponies after them), because DISNEY!!!! Queens are evil and Princesses are good and all that bull.....because Disney brainwashing, yanno, in spite of Hasbro having good queens in the 4th and past generations. 

But here's the thing....Hasbro's portrayal of their Princesses have sucked, like really badly, for a long time now. G1's episode 'The Princess Ponies', g4's portrayal of the pony Princesses being made damsels in distress for plot convenience...At least Disney treats their Princesses with the respect they deserve! It's laughable that Hasbro tries so hard to emulate Disney in their Princess lineup, yet continues to treat them horribly for plot's sake. It bewilders me that the fandom hasn't yet memed Celestia, Luna and Cadance as Princess Peach, or made drinking games of every time they're contrived out of the plot, for Twilight to fix everything.

• Brohoof 1

I must be in the minority who genuinely believe Disney and Hasbro could get along and downplay some negative stereotypes that Disney is hated for if the right kind of people within each company get together to represent the best of both worlds. I mean there are Pony music videos that had Ponies cast in many different Disney characters role that work quite well. Even having the Mane 6 play against their good virtues as the Disney villians. 

Be honest. I can't be the only Disney fan who sees a lot of a similar world in MLP:FiM. With similar characters and settings.

• Brohoof 1

Why do you care so much? That's the real question.

I agree with Key Sharkz...G4 is ending soon bruh, maybe worry about if they turn Princess Luna into a shark and Celestia into..oh I don't know..a spider with 20 legs instead of eight. They got wings, horns and make pony noises..that all that should really matter.

• Brohoof 3

Why is it so shocking that they make the main character the hero? Or that two princesses that know that Twilight is going to have an important destiny might let her take care of things to have her learn lessons you cant learn out of a book? 

It isn't? It was kinda hinted at, at the very beginning...it's just Hasbro is impatient and jumped the gun because they need those $$

16 hours ago, Baymax said:

I agree with Key Sharkz...G4 is ending soon bruh, maybe worry about if they turn Princess Luna into a shark and Celestia into..oh I don't know..a spider with 20 legs instead of eight. They got wings, horns and make pony noises..that all that should really matter.

I care because it's NOT JUST g4. They've been screwing up their Princesses since generation 1. If you can't respect your own Princess characters, then you really don't need to follow Disney and make all your favorable characters a Princess, because Disney did it first.

In my opinion, I think the princesses in G4 are pretty bad ass princesses. I don’t see the disrespect here. I know about the whole Disney queen thing but that was just the name.

• Brohoof 2

The one area I really wish Hasbro would improve in, and I'm sure you guys would agree, is the merch of the princesses not being at all show accurate. But I will admit that the Guardians of Harmony series of toys was a great improvement in how they portrayed the Princesses in relation to the show, but in general the whole toy line itself could use some improvement. In the show itself I don't have any problems with the princesses, that whole demotion thing from Queen to Princess was just about their official title, they still pretty much have all the powers of a queen and more really. The princesses in the show have been known to be wise and Celestia herself isn't afraid of a confrontation, it just has to be under the right circumstances.

Anyways back to the whole not-very-good merch thing, I know it's a little off-topic, but still, come on Hasbro, I know you can do better than this-

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Curse you Disney, I always knew you did something to the Kool-Aid. :baconmane:

Being serious, I actually think the way they've handled the princesses in the show is pretty impressive. We've had Celestia and Luna develop more and more as strong, admirable characters as the show has gone on and even Cadance has had her moments of being badass. Them not being called queens at first annoyed me, I do agree, but I got over it since it's just a title. Names aren't everything, it's the exemplary character of a strong leader that the princesses have shown that makes them so great. :fluttershy:

Edited by CloudMistDragon

I don't see anything wrong with there being princesses all the way back to G1, whether it's copying Disney or not. This is a show initially designed for young girls. And little girls like princesses. This is a fact. And anyone can say what they want, or try to push any PC agenda they wish, but little girls are not interested in being politically correct and following what older, more gullible, people tell them they should think. They want what they want, and what they want are princesses. 

When MGA made it's Bratz Genie Magic toys and play-tested them with little girls, they were astounded to find that the girls were all pretending the genie dolls were princesses and that the genie bottle was their castle. This is what girls want, simple as that. And making princesses more 'strong and independent' is more PC brainwashing. Little girls aren't interested in that. They like the idea of damsels in distress being rescued and cared for, and there's nothing wrong with that. Dependence on others is a good thing; it suggests cooperation with others rather than competition. Pushing away others so as to prove 'we don't need anybody' is the ridiculous conceit of people with an unfounded persecution complex. You'd think a world of social dependence such as ours would understand and embrace the concept of mutual dependence more often. 

As for making Celestia and Luna queens, sure, I can see how that would be fun, even if two related queens does stretch the rules of royal hierarchy a bit. Just make them what they are; Queen of the Sun and Queen of the Moon. They can be separate queens and still related, governing the same place at their different respective times without mutual interference. It's not a big deal, and if Disney has made any suggestion that princesses are good and queens are bad, it's time to change that by simply not copying them. Hasbro has created a great world of their own with MLP and should have confidence that it can stand on its own feet without having to clone Disney.