Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EU Article 13 will impact creative freedom on the internet

flutterbard

I know that some of you may not follow politics, but this is something that has a major impact on you especially if you live in the European Union (EU).

The EU Parliament plans to pass a law that would make copyrighted content on the internet illegal in the EU. This would be disastrous to European bronies, as many aspects of online brony culture such as posting fan art and fan fiction would be illegal if this passes.

If you live in the European Union, I urge you to visit this website

Tell your friends, family, and followers and do everything you can to fight Article 13.

I may not be a European citizen, but I am a brony, and I wish to do everything I can to help my brothers and sisters in Europe.

• Brohoof 12

I think that goes past ridiculous. The Internet is supposed to be a vestigium of freedom.  ...there is no true freedom. Don't ignore this ppl! :yeahno:

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, flutterbard said:

I know that some of you may not follow politics, but this is something that has a major impact on you especially if you live in the European Union (EU).

The EU Parliament plans to pass a law that would make copyrighted content on the internet illegal in the EU. This would be disastrous to European bronies, as many aspects of online brony culture such as posting fan art and fan fiction would be illegal if this passes.

If you live in the European Union, I urge you to visit this website

Tell your friends, family, and followers and do everything you can to fight Article 13.

I may not be a European citizen, but I am a brony, and I wish to do everything I can to help my brothers and sisters in Europe.

This is just the EU following in the US's footsteps. They just want to have more control over the Internet as a whole and censor anything that has to do with their property. I am hoping to god this doesn't go through though since censoring something as innocent as MLP which in turn will just kill of the fandom as a whole is disgusting. I hope you guys in the EU fight for the right to post ponies on the internet!

• Brohoof 1

Been there, done that, wouldn't count on Poland. It is way too corrupt in its current state to follow up on what people want.

• Brohoof 1

For the europeans: Your also forbidden from posting and reposting memes. I think, being from america, you guys should make the flag a meme.....or the Queen.

hang in there guys, theres gotta be a way out of this.

2 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

This is just the EU following in the US's footsteps. They just want to have more control over the Internet as a whole and censor anything that has to do with their property. I am hoping to god this doesn't go through though since censoring something as innocent as MLP which in turn will just kill of the fandom as a whole is disgusting. I hope you guys in the EU fight for the right to post ponies on the internet!

Following in the US's footsteps lol. 

Show me the US law or proposed law that got anywhere that allowed us to arrest a guy for an edgy internet video ( Count Dankula )

Show me the law that got a teen arrested and place under monitoring for posting rap lyrics ( Chelsea Russell ) 

Show me the law that would ban fair use 

Show me the law that would charge for linking. 

In short, this is nothing close to anything the US has done or proposed and had make it anywhere.  

I really hope Europe manages to beat this law and it's one more reason I think the UK was smart for voting leave. I hope to see more nations do the same. 

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

Following in the US's footsteps lol. 

Show me the US law or proposed law that got anywhere that allowed us to arrest a guy for an edgy internet video ( Count Dankula )

Show me the law that got a teen arrested and place under monitoring for posting rap lyrics ( Chelsea Russell ) 

Show me the law that would ban fair use 

Show me the law that would charge for linking. 

In short, this is nothing close to anything the US has done or proposed and had make it anywhere.  

I really hope Europe manages to beat this law and it's one more reason I think the UK was smart for voting leave. I hope to see more nations do the same. 

I was referring to the Net Neutrality bill that passed. I know it's not the same thing but it's the same way that governments are screwing over its citizens.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, TheTaZe said:

I was referring to the Net Neutrality bill that passed. I know it's not the same thing but it's the same way that governments are screwing over its citizens.

Net neutrality does not give the government power to do anything. It allows the owners of the service to possibly do something messed up. But it does not guarantee it. This, however, puts power in the hands of government and demands that people be censored. They are not even close to comparable. One might make you pay more for things you want to see. The other destroys fair use and open reporting. 

I would take higher internet bills over the inability to report a news source or people to make a living as commentators any day of the week. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jedishy said:

Net neutrality does not give the government power to do anything. It allows the owners of the service to possibly do something messed up. But it does not guarantee it. This, however, puts power in the hands of government and demands that people be censored. They are not even close to comparable. One might make you pay more for things you want to see. The other destroys fair use and open reporting. 

I would take higher internet bills over the inability to report a news source or people to make a living as commentators any day of the week. 

Net Neutrality is what was put in use the chairman of the FCC was pretty much pressured into signing so the big ISP's of the country can have the people of the US pay more for their Internet while also restricting it. It is similar. Anyways, I'm not going to argue anymore over this since I don't want this to turn into a flame war.

(edited)

If it does pass, which it probably will because the EU is disturbingly authoritarian, I encourage all of my Eurofriends to learn how to edit images. Just need to do it a little to get around their copyright detection. We do it all the time on YouTube. There are also many ways to get around ISP site blocks should that become a thing. Just make sure to use a proxy.

Remember kids, bureaucrats are the lowest form of human life on this planet, and it is our duty to mankind to resist and troll them whenever possible.

Edited by Twiggy
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, TheTaZe said:

Net Neutrality is what was put in use the chairman of the FCC was pretty much pressured into signing so the big ISP's of the country can have the people of the US pay more for their Internet while also restricting it. It is similar. Anyways, I'm not going to argue anymore over this since I don't want this to turn into a flame war.

This is civil discussion of different internet laws or restrictions. Not a flame war by any means. I can't even see getting upset at you as a person never mind over something so trivial. But if you wish to let it go I am fine with that. Just understand there was never any more emotion in what I posted then a chuckle of no that is not correct. No ill intent meant so if I came off that way you have my apology and I will do better to be mindful of how I type especially considering lack of tonality or body language on web forums. 

Just now, Jedishy said:

This is civil discussion of different internet laws or restrictions. Not a flame war by any means. I can't even see getting upset at you as a person never mind over something so trivial. But if you wish to let it go I am fine with that. Just understand there was never any more emotion in what I posted then a chuckle of no that is not correct. No ill intent meant so if I came off that way you have my apology and I will do better to be mindful of how I type especially considering lack of tonality or body language on web forums. 

Then I say it's my bad. The way you worded your words made me feel like it was an aggressive stance to myself so that's my biggest reason why I don't want to continue talking about it.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Then I say it's my bad. The way you worded your words made me feel like it was an aggressive stance to myself so that's my biggest reason why I don't want to continue talking about it.

No worries. Besides, I think we both said what we can say. We view it differently and have explained why. Not much more we can say that would be meaningful. Hope your day goes well and see ya around the forums :ph3ar:

8 hours ago, Zhang Xiu Ying said:

Do they even realize what will happen if this thing passes or do they even care 

Not much, at least not anything that would have major impact. The internet is an uncontrolled medium which poses a threat to any government unit. It helps people unite, criticize and question many decisions the politicians, another word for old 'ruling class', do.

In Internet where linking sources will be forbidden, or linking anything in fact covered by guise of 'copyright protection', people will have much lesser impact and voice power against unethical and predatory government practices. Just look what is happening at this very moment. A small bunch of people has advised that this should be implemented (because money and control) and another small bunch of people will be the ones pulling a trigger on it.

And while we can voice our objections, there is law in place. Law that, if it does not protect the ones at the top, gets either amended to do so or secretly ignored behind the scene.

Of course, there will be strong resistance movement for these changes. But it will eventually blow over, because the tools to counteract such practices are insufficient for regular people to have any realistic impact.

That is, IF it passes. And that's whay I fear will most probably happen if it does. Sometimes my inner anarchist would just wish to see it all burn :x

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

Seriously though,stuff like that isn’t necessarily important.

So fair use laws, the ability to report false news stories and the independent journalist are just not important. Yea sorry got to disagree.