Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EU Article 13 will impact creative freedom on the internet

flutterbard

4 minutes ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

It’s ok,not many can handle the truth :toldya:

The truth is that independent reporting and fair use are vital to keeping people honest and fact checking. The slow death of checks and balances etc by 1000 cuts because people fail to care is as dangerous as one big grab for state controlled media 

Just now, Jedishy said:

The truth is that independent reporting and fair use are vital to keeping people honest and fact checking. The slow death of checks and balances etc by 1000 cuts because people fail to care is as dangerous as one big grab for state controlled media 

Oh well :toldya:

On 7/2/2018 at 4:27 PM, Califorum said:

I personally don't care, sorry. 

You should, if this passes other countries will follow suit.

11 hours ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

Guess what, genius.

If this passes the US will follow suit and sites like this might not be allowed to exist and you won't be allowed to link things.

Oh well :toldya:

You don't strike me as the guru of knowledge yourself. Stop trolling, you're not even good at it.

(edited)

Following all the panic around Article 13 and saving the freedom of the Internet, I looked up what it is all about and could it REALLY 'ruin' it as we know it. I found one article created by Jack Rear explaining Article 13 in great detail.

If by any chance Article 13 passes, we may not see some changes at all as it says its up to the rightholders to decide if they want to keep the content or not. Think about it, YouTube has these sort of rules on its website and we still get to see cartoons and fan-made animations we love to enjoy. So I don't think it can ruin the Internet. But that's my opinion.

Here's the article I'm referring to if you want to have a look through it: https://www.verdict.co.uk/what-is-eu-article-13/

I just hope my explanation can calm everypony down on the issue as the news shared to my knowledge doesn't seem specific enough. However, I'm not saying I'm beside Article 13.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

not necessarily. it depends if the united states follow. remember this is a Canadian website if i am right. so if they don't follow then we aren't affected.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, flutterbard said:

I know that some of you may not follow politics, but this is something that has a major impact on you especially if you live in the European Union (EU).

The EU Parliament plans to pass a law that would make copyrighted content on the internet illegal in the EU. This would be disastrous to European bronies, as many aspects of online brony culture such as posting fan art and fan fiction would be illegal if this passes.

If you live in the European Union, I urge you to visit this website

Tell your friends, family, and followers and do everything you can to fight Article 13.

I may not be a European citizen, but I am a brony, and I wish to do everything I can to help my brothers and sisters in Europe.

Could you please be so kind to give me an Example on how this will Affect fans of MLP in Europe.

Would they be Allowed to make their own OC, and I do not understand how they could get into trouble for writing fan fiction.

would this mean if they drew Twilight Sparkle and posted it on the web they would get in trouble. if someone payed them money to commission a MLP from the show they would get in trouble.

im just have a little trouble understanding how this will affect them directly. I thought they had a fair use policy where they can create and be protected under that policy. does this mean that policy will be scrapped...

its horrible what is happening to Europe, just when I thought Hitler was defeated, many Hitler Want to be start to pop up. Looking to dictate and control the live of people again. Open boaders destroy countries, and alter dictator free countries, into control and dictatorship... 

would you leave your door unlocked all year round,  Obviously Not, Than Why the Heck would you leave your borders open all year round.  Locks were invented to keep you and your family safe, just like Borders Control were created to keep your Country safe. Anyone who Demands that the borders be open for everyone, and locks the doors to their home when they leave, and when they come home for the day or night is a Dam Hippocrate in my book.  Its not Racist People, Its called Common Sense.

would you leave your door unlocked all year round,  Obviously Not, Than Why the Heck would you leave your borders open all year round.  Locks were invented to keep you and your family safe, just like Borders Control were created to keep your Country safe. Anyone who Demands that the borders be open for everyone, and locks the doors to their home when they leave, and when they come home for the day or night is a Dam Hippocrate in my book.  Its not Racist People, Its called Common Sense

would you leave your door unlocked all year round,  Obviously Not, Than Why the Heck would you leave your borders open all year round.  Locks were invented to keep you and your family safe, just like Borders Control were created to keep your Country safe. Anyone who Demands that the borders be open for everyone, and locks the doors to their home when they leave, and when they come home for the day or night is a Dam Hippocrate in my book.  Its not Racist People, Its called Common Sense.

sorry about staying off topic, hope the Stupid law does not get passed.

40 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

Following all the panic around Article 13 and saving the freedom of the Internet, I looked up what it is all about and could it REALLY 'ruin' it as we know it. I found one article created by Jack Rear explaining Article 13 in great detail.

If by any chance Article 13 passes, we may not see some changes at all as it says its up to the rightholders to decide if they want to keep the content or not. Think about it, YouTube has these sort of rules on its website and we still get to see cartoons and fan-made animations we love to enjoy. So I don't think it can ruin the Internet. But that's my opinion.

Here's the article I'm referring to if you want to have a look through it: https://www.verdict.co.uk/what-is-eu-article-13/

I just hope my explanation can calm everypony down on the issue as the news shared to my knowledge doesn't seem specific enough. However, I'm not saying I'm beside Article 13.

The point is that it may set a bad precedent. Whether or not right holders will take advantage is irrelevant as it means they can potentially get away with charging to post stuff, as for the link tax, that's a horrible idea. I'd rather be safe and not take any risks. This cannot pass. I'm sorry but people's fears are completely rational and justified.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Celli said:

The point is that it may set a bad precedent. Whether or not right holders will take advantage is irrelevant as it means they can potentially get away with charging to post stuff, as for the link tax, that's a horrible idea. I'd rather be safe and not take any risks. This cannot pass. I'm sorry but people's fears are completely rational and justified.

It's understandable. But everypony must know that the Internet cannot be controlled no matter what. It's like popcorn popping in a microwave when heated well enough.

• Brohoof 1

Just a friendly reminder: Please stay on topic, people. You can say what you like about this article, but keep the conversation productive; this is a serious issue, so I expect you all to take it seriously, whether you're for it or against it.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, goofyg65 said:

unless it says the usa will pursue i am not worried one single bit. this is a eu law not a us law

Except it will affect EU sites you use and it will set a precedent. The mindset of "it doesn't affect me" is why laws like these get passed. 

• Brohoof 1

I've already booted one person from this conversation. Keep it conversational, but at least add to the discussion. 

So here is an interesting wrinkle to the discussion. This site actually follows EU internet laws. GDPR is a thing that many US and Canadian sites are put in a position that they have to follow. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, goofyg65 said:

yes but i thought this was a Canadian website.

The likelihood is that you use some EU based sites.

(edited)

what does booked mean. and ok maybe i do use eu based websites just never knew this one did. booked from conversation confused.

Edited by goofyg65
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, goofyg65 said:

what does booked mean.

Typo. Should have said booted. Staff can kick someone from a topic to prevent it from derailing. 

• Brohoof 1

This may or may not be off-topic but I am pretty sure that GPDR has to do with many companies updating their privacy policy. If this is a whole other beast than please tell me that I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Celli said:

The likelihood is that you use some EU based sites.

Yep, plus we actually have to follow EU rules. 

Just do a quick search on whether US or Canadian companies have to comply with GDPR and then ask yourself, 'Is Article 13 any different'?

2 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

This may or may not be off-topic but I am pretty sure that GPDR has to do with many companies updating their privacy policy. If this is a whole other beast than please tell me that I'm wrong.

Yes, but I brought it up to showcase that we, as a site that is deeply connected to fanart, are not insulated because we are not in an EU member country. We serve EU citizens so non-compliance can have consequences. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, goofyg65 said:

yes but i thought this was a Canadian website.

It is, but he's saying that laws like this have a way of spreading once they're passed. This article does not serve the interest of the common European in the slightest; it primarily serves as a way to milk publishers for everything that they're worth. A similar idea has been implemented in Spain, and it's an absolute financial catastrophe for publishers. Thanks to that law, Google News no longer exists in Spain. I don't know about you, but having something like this on a continental scale, let alone a global scale, is not something that we should be striving for, if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Yes, but I brought it up to showcase that we, as a site that is deeply connected to fanart, are not insulated because we are not in an EU member country. We serve EU citizens so non-compliance can have consequences. 

Right, that makes a lot more sense to me personally. I guess that is why some American companies and even some American sites just decided to not server people in the EU due to them not wanting to go through the hassle of implementing something of that scale.

• Brohoof 1