Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is an Alicorn more powerful or more versatile than other types?

Senko

Is an Alicorn more powerful or more versatile than other types?  

12 users have voted

1. 1. Is an Alicorn more powerful or more versatile than other types?

• More powerful.
    • More versatile.

(edited)

I originally had the impression an Alicorn was inherently more powerful in magic than a unicorn but lately I've started to doubt that. The repeated captures of princess, comments by other ponies, how quickly they tire when using magic, the way others have been shown to match or exceed their strength and the fact that the big ticket items like raising the sun/moon are Celestia/Luna's special talents are just a few examples of what's causing me to wonder this. Instead I'm starting to think an Alicorn only gives a magical power up if it's an earth or pegasus pony transforming and even there they aren't necessarily more powerful than other unicorns. That is rather than an Alicorn having the gifts of all 3 races at a greater level they only have the gifts and may be stronger or weaker in any given area than another pony. For example Twilight is an Alicorn with magic, flight and whatever comes with being an earth pony however Starswirl is slightly stronger in raw magical strength than her and Rainbow Dash is a faster flyer. Dash can't use magic and Starswirl can't fly but they actually outdo her in their respective areas rather than her being a stronger mage/flyer because of being an Alicorn. So I figured I'd throw it open feel free to vote on the poll or if you actually know of a canon statement supporting one view or the other feel free to chime in and educate me. Do you think an Alicorn is inherently more powerful than other races or are they merely more versatile having access to the gifts of each race + their own special talent (if you think both just vote for more powerful)?

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 2

I'll put you down for verstatile as that's what that option is an Alicorn transformation adds more options but their abilities in each area depend on the Pony in question.

(edited)

having both wings and horns makes them more versitile for sure,but i think they're also more powerful.or to better explain it,i think you need to already be a very powerful magic user in order to be made an alicorn not that becoming one will make you so
all that said,i'm not sure about a non-unicorn becoming an alicorn,what would be the factor that decides their magic powers :dash:

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

having both wings and horns makes them more versitile for sure,but i think they're also more powerful.or to better explain it,i think you need to already be a very powerful magic user in order to be made an alicorn not that becoming one will make you so
all that said,i'm not sure about a non-unicorn becoming an alicorn,what would be the factor that decides their magic powers :dash:

I believe according to a book Cadence was originally an Earth Pony so there's that although I'm not sure how official it is.

Seems like most people are of the more versatile camp so far with the power of the Alicorns we've seen being more because they'd be powerful unicorns or were powerful unicorns. Interesting.

While alicorns have the versatilely of flying and magic, I feel like they are simple more powerful. When Twilight was still just a unicorn, being the incredibly gifted student she is, her magic wasn't as powerful as any of the Princess's. Even Star Swirl, said to be the most magically gifted unicorns in all of Equestria, didn't have as much power as the Princess's. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, Senko said:

I believe according to a book Cadence was originally an Earth Pony so there's that although I'm not sure how official it is.

She was actually a Pegasus.

1 hour ago, Lunar Glow said:

When Twilight was still just a unicorn, being the incredibly gifted student she is, her magic wasn't as powerful as any of the Princess's. Even Star Swirl, said to be the most magically gifted unicorns in all of Equestria, didn't have as much power as the Princess's. 

Except that Star Swirl was the Sisters' magic-teacher, and he was confirmed (by The Pony Of Shadows) to be slightly more powerful than even Alicorn Twilight.

P.S.: According to what's been shown-not-told in the series -- count me in with the "More versatile" camp, too.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

They're clearly more versatile, in terms of magic power they seem to also be more powerful than most unicorns. But Starswirl and Starlight have shown us that unicorns can level themselves to alicorns with a lot of study and training (and probably innate capabilities).

It would be interesting to know if the longer lifespan of Celestia and Luna makes them more powerful over time or if they remain as powerful as they were when they were younger.

Edited by DonMaguz
Spelling

I believe it makes them both more powerful and more versatile. But it’s still possible for other races like unicorns such as Starswirl and Starlight to catch up to or surpass them in raw power or pegasus like Rainbow Dash surpassing them in speed.

• Brohoof 1

I actually feel like it's more down to how often they use their abilities. Obviously, Celestia and Luna, all they do is raise the sun and the moon, the rest of the day Luna is sleeping and Celestia is tending to her royal duties. However, Twilight gets more action more frequently and is always studying and trying to learn more about her magic and her abilities, as we've seen in the episodes, also don't forget that she's the element of magic as well as friendship.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. Alicorns are not immortal immortal as in they can't die, I just think they are ageless immortals. They don't age at all except for growing in relation to their power. I still think if you are lucky you, you can kill an Alicorn and/or injure one.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

They're clearly more versatile, in terms of magic power they seem to also be more powerful than most unicorns. But Starswirl and Starlight have shown us that unicorns can level themselves to alicorns with a lot of study and training (and probably innate capabilities).

It would be interesting to know if the longer lifespan of Celestia and Luna makes them more powerful over time or if they remain as powerful as they were when they were younger.

They could also be weaker depending on if they're a grow with age or grow with use species as some people have suggested. If the former then Celestia/Luna would have more power simply due to their extreme age but if they're a grow with use as hinted by Sweetie Belle's telekinesis growing stronger and more useful as she practiced then they may actually be weaker because aside from raising the sun/moon and protecting dreams they haven't really used their power much so they may be out of practice. Something also hinted at by Cadence saying she's been getting bored just doing her princess duties.

On the other hand both Flurry Heart and Pumpkin Cake seem to have had signifcantly greater eased in using thier powers (energy beam and telekenisis for Flurry, teleport and Telekinesis for Pumpkin) than Sweetie Belle did so it may be a case of natural power is constant. On yet another hoof its also possible baby unicorns/alicorns seem to be so much stronger because they haven't yet learnt limits all they have is want and will use whatever they can to get it just like a baby can learn new languages easier than an adult.

6 hours ago, A.V. said:

She was actually a Pegasus.

Ah still a non-magic species (technically) thanks for the correction though.

Twilight's special talent is magic. So, I think she will be stronger than Starswirl eventually.

Alicorns generically can do everything the three forms of pony can do. Definitely not the best at everything. But probably very adept at what they originally were. 

Twilight is the most powerful alicorn in my opinion. But if it were possible, we all know Discord would be the most powerful alicorn. 

I do wonder if Chrysalis is a corrupted Alicorn with a talent in creation that is responsible for the entire changeling race as we've only seen one hive all who came from her.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Senko said:

I do wonder if Chrysalis is a corrupted Alicorn with a talent in creation that is responsible for the entire changeling race as we've only seen one hive all who came from her.

I've often wondered this. I'd imagine so because the Changelings sort of resemble ponies but with Eusocial insect-like traits. I wonder what would happen to Chrysalis if she ever got a redemption arc, especially seeing as her colony "metamorphosed" into much more colourful and friendly beings.

• 3 years later...

They are more powerful because they have the title of "Princess". They can therefore rule others by their title alone.

Do they have more powerful magic? I don't think so since Starlight Glimmer would win in a magic duel against one, pretty sure.