Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!!!!!

Dashy 4 Ever

I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that we celebrate this holiday in honor of the brave people who gave their lives for our freedom and the many who continue fighting. I urge you guys to donate to the Wounded Warrior fund to help support our troops who came home with a part of themselves missing. Let's celebrate by giving these people a chance at a better life.

4 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that we celebrate this holiday in honor of the brave people who gave their lives for our freedom and the many who continue fighting. I urge you guys to donate to the Wounded Warrior fund to help support our troops who came home with a part of themselves missing. Let's celebrate by giving these people a chance at a better life.

Amen. Such pride to hear our citizens that respect our long fight for freedom!

I wish it would rain (but not thunder). My dog can't deal with fireworks, so I really hate this day and the days surrounding.

The 4th of July might have been neat back when my grandparents were still around (I spent the time at my grandparents' home and went and saw fireworks with my grandma every year), but right now I'm very numbed to the idea of being patriotic.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Envy said:

I wish it would rain (but not thunder). My dog can't deal with fireworks, so I really hate this day and the days surrounding.

The 4th of July might have been neat back when my grandparents were still around (I spent the time at my grandparents' home and went and saw fireworks with my grandma every year), but right now I'm very numbed to the idea of being patriotic.

Celebrate for the brave people who gave their lives for our freedom.

Happy 4th of July everyone, especially to Americans just like me!

I hope you all have a great time today! :yay:

• Brohoof 1

26 minutes ago, Envy said:

Well your lucky because is getting rain here tonight

I am just going to say that I hate this holiday and find it not worth celebrating anymore. If it ever was.

30 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Celebrate for the brave people who gave their lives for our freedom.

Isn't that memorial day though? I thought July 4th was simply celebrating our indepence or whatever. Though from my record, this day isn't exactly that anyways. More like the day for arrogant American flaunting, but that's just my pointless opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Happy 4th everypony! Even to those in a party-pooper mood, just get outside and enjoy some hot dogs comrades! Just celebrate this nations birthday with pride and celebrate all of our wonderful veterans who have helped defend this nation :dash:

• Brohoof 1

This has always been one of my favorite days. I usually watch documentaries, read about the Revolution, and of course enjoy the food and fireworks. A few years ago my maternal grandmother passed away on the 4th. My grandfather served in World War 2 and this was her favorite holiday (even above Christmas) so it seemed poetic to us. 

That is a link to a free Yale video course. Joanne Freeman is one of the best living scholars of the Colonial and Revolutionary period. It's quite facinating to listen to and I highly recommend it.

• Brohoof 3

Happy Independence Day everypony! 

To any military bronies out there, thank you for your service! And just about any military person and veteran. :grin:

23 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I am just going to say that I hate this holiday and find it not worth celebrating anymore. If it ever was.

Isn't that memorial day though? I thought July 4th was simply celebrating our indepence or whatever. Though from my record, this day isn't exactly that anyways. More like the day for arrogant American flaunting, but that's just my pointless opinion.

We achieved our independence because of the sacrifices of brave men who many of which were younger than us. They died for what they believed in so that we may reap the rewards. This day honors them and all we set out to do with this land. It's a day to celebrate what we have accomplished and how far we've come and to honor those who lost their lives so that we may do that.

Just now, Key Sharkz said:

We achieved our independence because of the sacrifices of brave men who many of which were younger than us. They died for what they believed in so that we may reap the rewards. This day honors them and all we set out to do with this land. It's a day to celebrate what we have accomplished and how far we've come and to honor those who lost their lives so that we may do that.

Agreed. I also try to think about the many non-combatants that supported those troops in making blankets, uniforms, and bullets. These citizens modelled the nature of our national spirit of sacrificing personal gain to support our nation. 

• Brohoof 3

People fought and lost their lives in wars for our freedom and it disgusts me that anyone doesn't feel anything for that. One of my great ancestors fought as a loyalist, and he survived the war. He went to Canada after the war and the land he once owned is worth millions of dollars today.

I had great grandfathers who fought as father and son in the civil war on the union side, one of them died I think but I'm not sure.

My grandfather flew over germany as pilot of a bomber plane if I am correct.

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

While being hypocrites and slaughtering natives and enslaving blacks. Got it. Not to mention all of the many problems we now face, making all of that sacrifice seem a tad in vain. I don't mind people celebrating it, even if I hate the holiday, but I don't like this country pretending like it is the only one to ever do great things.

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Agreed. I also try to think about the many non-combatants that supported those troops in making blankets, uniforms, and bullets. These citizens modelled the nature of our national spirit of sacrificing personal gain to support our nation. 

I work for the US Army and we have 3 people we cover now:

Army

Army Family

Army Civilian

Just now, Kyoshi said:

While being hypocrites and slaughtering natives and enslaving blacks. Got it. Not to mention all of the many problems we now face, making all of that sacrifice seem a tad in vain. I don't mind people celebrating it, even if I hate the holiday, but I don't like this country pretending like it is the only one to ever do great things.

We were not the only nation to slaughter natives, or enslave others.

The point is to not focus on the past, but to work toward the future. Having problems now doesn't mean we can't celebrate what we've accomplished. I mean we've achieved a lot in our country's short existence. This is one of the few days where we're supposed to stop worrying about future problems and for a day just enjoy what we've accomplished.

I don't see how having fourth of July is acting like we're the only ones who have ever done great things. A lot of countries have days to celebrate their founding. Germany has a holiday for virtually every accomplishment its ever done lol.

This is the time to think about the good, not the bad.

1 minute ago, Key Sharkz said:

I work for the US Army and we have 3 people we cover now:

Army

Army Family

Army Civilian

We were not the only nation to slaughter natives, or enslave others.

The point is to not focus on the past, but to work toward the future. Having problems now doesn't mean we can't celebrate what we've accomplished. I mean we've achieved a lot in our country's short existence. This is one of the few days where we're supposed to stop worrying about future problems and for a day just enjoy what we've accomplished.

I don't see how having fourth of July is acting like we're the only ones who have ever done great things. A lot of countries have days to celebrate their founding. Germany has a holiday for virtually every accomplishment its ever done lol.

This is the time to think about the good, not the bad.

That's the thing and this will be my last comment on this in this thread, right now things are tad fucked. That's my main problem. There isn't a whole lot of good to look at right now and the good stuff that there is, it isn't worth dedicating a holiday to ourselves for. If anything it should be a celebration of concepts, not some country doing things that other countries have ddne and done better. That's my two cents. Pay no mind to me, I am a peasant expressing his entirely worthless two cents.

2 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

Happy 4th everypony! Even to those in a party-pooper mood, just get outside and enjoy some hot dogs comrades!

Outside? It is hot and there are bugs everywhere. Nope, so much nope. You know how hot it is today? It is even hot in New England. I'm going to stay inside with the air conditioner blasting. Hopefully loud enough to keep my dog from having to hear the illegal fireworks being shot off outside. >.>

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Envy said:

Outside? It is hot and there are bugs everywhere. Nope, so much nope. You know how hot it is today? It is even hot in New England. I'm going to stay inside with the air conditioner blasting. Hopefully loud enough to keep my dog from having to hear the illegal fireworks being shot off outside. >.>

My situation exactly. Here in Indiana it is 95 degrees, with a feel of over 100. Terrible and not worth going out in. My dad was wondering if I wanted to go to see fireworks, but I don't find it worth it to go out in such awful weather just to watch things go boom.

2 hours ago, Envy said:

If you have anyone in the service you should give them a call, Envy. Thank them for their service today, it would be a great way to celebrate if fireworks aren't your thing. Or just call up your family and remind them how much you care about them. I can tell you this, as someone who works with soldiers every day, it will make their day to hear how appreciated they are from someone. Or consider donating to a charity that helps service members, or families of service members.

There are ways to celebrate without screaming "murica", true patriotism is showing compassion for your fellow citizens and the people who fight for you. You have a big heart, use it to spread the love that the world desperately needs.