Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health How would you handle becoming blind if you aren't already blind?

MangoFoalix

How would you handle being blind? Would it affect you being able to participate on the forums and the internet in general? I personally have nothing wrong with my vision or hearing so I can't relate to anyone who does have those problems.

Discuss below what you would think would happen.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly? I don't know if I would ever be able to live with myself. :please: It has to be the worst sense to lose, if you ask me;

• Taste is worthless. Heck, I might be better off without it.
  • Hearing is awesome for music... but I would probably be fine without it.
  • Touch is also relatively unimportant, but it would suck to not be able to feel your bed, for example.
  • Smell is also relatively expendable; the only thing useful about it is being able to smell nice tings... and that's not even very important.

Vision, though? Literally everything we do depends on it... and losing it is pretty much a death sentence for a normal life. While I can't say that I would commit suicide or anything... my quality of life would drastically decrease, if I were to guess.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's not entirely impossible for me, due to certain issues. It would certainly have an effect on my life, as I would no longer be able to do the things that I enjoy. At that point, it would probably lead me to being more sour and depressed than I am normally. 

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 1

This is a very real possibility for me as my family has an eye disease that causes you to slowly loose your vision over a period of many years, eventually leaving you completely blind. I'm not sure if I have the eye disease as I haven't been diagnosed with it, but my eyes do show signs of it possibly lurking and building up in the back of my eyes. If I do indeed end up being diagnosed with the eye disease, then it'll be pretty devastating for me as I'll lose the ability to do many of the things I enjoy. I would eventually loose the ability to use the internet as I won't be able to see my laptop screen, I wouldn't be able to walk by myself anymore as I could get turned around and lost- this has happened to my grandpa many times in his own backyard, as he has the eye disease and he has slowly progressed from having 100% vision a few years ago to having nearly no vision today. I really hope to god I don't have this disease, I know it's pretty selfish but I hope the gene for the disease was passed onto my aunt's side of the family, not my mom's side :blush:  

The disease is called Retinitis Pigmentosa if your curious at all.

3 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

This is a very real possibility for me as my family has an eye disease that causes you to slowly loose your vision over a period of many years, eventually leaving you completely blind. I'm not sure if I have the eye disease as I haven't been diagnosed with it, but my eyes do show signs of it possibly lurking and building up in the back of my eyes. If I do indeed end up being diagnosed with the eye disease, then it'll be pretty devastating for me as I'll lose the ability to do many of the things I enjoy. I would eventually loose the ability to use the internet as I won't be able to see my laptop screen, I wouldn't be able to walk by myself anymore as I could get turned around and lost- this has happened to my grandpa many times in his own backyard, as he has the eye disease and he has slowly progressed from having 100% vision a few years ago to having nearly no vision today. I really hope to god I don't have this disease, I know it's pretty selfish but I hope the gene for the disease was passed onto my aunt's side of the family, not my mom's side :blush:  

The disease is called Retinitis Pigmentosa if your curious at all.

I'm actually really sorry about this. I really don't wish this upon anyone even more worse enemy. I really hope you don't get the disease because I could easily see how this could destroy someones life. I could see that a disease like this easily ruining someones life and even presence on here. I couldn't live with myself with having someone who could actually see type out my messages. Though, I don't even look at my keyboard when I type since I have the layout of my keyboard memorized, I could still probably type quite a bit except with not knowing any of the spelling errors I would be doing.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I'm actually really sorry about this. I really don't wish this upon anyone even more worse enemy. I really hope you don't get the disease because I could easily see how this could destroy someones life. I could see that a disease like this easily ruining someones life and even presence on here. I couldn't live with myself with having someone who could actually see type out my messages. Though, I don't even look at my keyboard when I type since I have the layout of my keyboard memorized, I could still probably type quite a bit except with not knowing any of the spelling errors I would be doing.

Not that you can't live a life blind, there's plenty of people who are blind and live very normal and productive lives, it would just take a hell of a lot of getting used to being blind and making that transition. My cousin is going through it right now, he has the eye disease too and is slowly losing his vision, and he's only a few years older than me. He spends a lot of time on the internet, but he accepts that someday he won't be able to use it anymore, or do a lot of other things he enjoys, he's going to have to find new ways and things to entertain himself as his vision slowly goes. I guess I would eventually too if I do indeed have the disease as well, but it would take a lot of getting used to and acceptance that I would eventually be completely blind. 

• Brohoof 2

It depends so much on the person but I can say it would be an absolute disaster for me. I've stopped thinking about it that much, but for a while, I constantly used to fear it (because of some vision problems I had which I believe were due to migraine).

Pretty much everything I do in life requires eyes. I know there are ways to use the computer even for a blind person, but it would be pretty frustrating considering how much I use it and how I'm used to typing fast. Some people say a blind person would rely more on their other senses which would get stronger – I'm already hypersensitive so that wouldn't be a good thing either. So all I can say is I hope it never happens.

• Brohoof 4

44 minutes ago, The Recherche said:

Honestly? I don't know if I would ever be able to live with myself. :please: It has to be the worst sense to lose, if you ask me;

• Taste is worthless. Heck, I might be better off without it.
  • Hearing is awesome for music... but I would probably be fine without it.
  • Touch is also relatively unimportant, but it would suck to not be able to feel your bed, for example.
  • Smell is also relatively expendable; the only thing useful about it is being able to smell nice tings... and that's not even very important.

Vision, though? Literally everything we do depends on it... and losing it is pretty much a death sentence for a normal life. While I can't say that I would commit suicide or anything... my quality of life would drastically decrease, if I were to guess.

Actually I think that all of them taste, hearing,  touch, smell, vision are pretty important though these days as most things have become pretty visual the vision would seem to affect our lives the most but I personally believe that losing any of them would have if not equally as big at least pretty big impact on virtually anyone.

• Brohoof 2

I completely agree with @The Recherche.

Out of all senses, I think vision would be the most difficult one to handle. It would take years to get used to it to perhaps be able to do basic things, but even with that I'd definitely have to resign from most of the things I do on my daily basis. And how in Equestria would I be able to navigate forums? :P Without bothering another person to guide me, I have no idea. :P Most likely I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything in life anymore.

But my entertainment aside, I honestly don't think I'd be able to work anywhere; I don't see much of a potential for that where I live, I'd have to rely on some organizations. Also... I'd be a huge burden for my family- or at least someone else. I don't think I'd be able to go through this alone, so obviously somebody would have to keep an eye on me, but for how long could that go on?

I had a chance to see a person, who couldn't see anything at all, but it wasn't the only problem she had... I could describe all of this in one word "suffering". That's literally what I saw - there was no smile, nor anything like this; pure pain, only pain. It was really sad to see her suffer like this. I honestly can't even imagine how she was feeling, it's way beyond my imagination.

Having to struggle with it myself and have to bother somebody else doesn't sound encouraging. :sunny:

Perhaps I'd try to accept that and try to bring some motivation to ones, who need it? You know, showing, that even without sight you can enjoy the life, that there are no limits. Bringing smile is kinda what I'd love to do in my life, so if there would be that opportunity, I'd gladly give it a try.
But the question is --- would it be possible? That's a vision kinda like from some movies I saw, but how that would work in real life? ...Would I be lying to myself?
That would be something to discover.
I'm really not sure if I'd be able to handle that. I would give it a try, but I'm afraid I'd give up if things would fail. Having to constantly bother somebody else is what I'd find difficult to accept.

It's really hard to tell, but I wish nopony had to struggle with this.

And sorry to hear that @King of Canterlot. It sounds horribly. No words can describe how I wish you to not have to struggle with this, nor any of your closest ones, nor anybody else. I really wish something could be done.. The suffering life-beings have to struggle with doesn't know limits. :( 

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

I actually have gone blind before. I was at my aunt's house, sitting on the toilet. I saw several black dots appear in front of my face. They kept popping up out of nowhere, becoming more-and-more numerous until everything was black. I opened the bathroom door and called out to my family. No one answered. I could've sworn everyone was there, but they apparently all went somewhere while I was in the bathroom. I felt around for a bit till I reached the tv room couch and laid down on it. I thought to myself that this didn't make any sense and that if my vision had gone away suddenly for no reason, then it likewise might very well suddenly come back. In this way I kept myself from panicking and I laid there till my vision came back 15 or 20 minutes later. I didn't tell anyone for the longest time. The only thing that had been out of the ordinary was that I got badly sunburned the day before.

• Brohoof 2

It's horrifying to think about honestly, I don't really know to be honest but for sure I would be freaked out and I would hate life. I would likely be very angry with everything and depressed.

• Brohoof 1

I rather not say, since there are people who are blind. And saying "If I were blind...." it's like saying "thank god I'm not blind."

• Brohoof 1

To recuperate my sight is a possibility. Acceptance. Otherwise the illness can make me company as long as I need it for my learning experience

The experience of limitation would serve me to develop other senses that are ignored, overlooked or disregarded when in full sensorial capacity. So, certain abilities are disabled, in order to force my understanding.

When a path closes, it becomes easier to find other ways.

It wouldn't be an issue to not being able to communicate, if that were the case. It's possible to connect with myself by means of a rock, a crack on the ceiling, a dry leaf, or even the absence of all those things.

• Brohoof 1