Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Retire Family Guy?

Rainbow    Dash

Couldnt find a similar thread, but apologies if you have to move it.

Since the beginning of 1999, Family Guy has been a rival to Sunday Night animations like The Simpsons. Over the years the show would see multiple cancellations as well as revives. We also got to see a lot of backlash over it. 19 years later, and the shows still going.
It hasnt aged well in those 19 years. In fact, its gone so far downhill i dont think its saveable. Which is why i think Family Guy should end once and for all.

I have several reasons in why and how i reached this point.  For one, the characters have devolved. Peter Griffin, who started out as "that annoying loud mouth we all came across once in our lives." is now legally stupid, loud, and so abusive it makes me cringe. Brian was the token talking animal who was also Peters best Friend. Now Brian is nothing but an out of touch, egotistical jerk. The overall format has devolved too. The episodes are made up of cut a way gags more and more than actual story.  Speaking of stories, their plots for each episode can seem a bit preachy and offensive to almost everyone.

I tolerate the guy, but if Seth could stop pretending to be progressive that would be better for the show, because his lies seep into the programming. Yet, you look at his life and the fact he says he tries to emulate people like Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra and you wonder if hes trolling America.

Anyways, Family Guy should be cancelled because the lack of quality....make room for other cartoons that EVERYONE can enjoy.

• Brohoof 5

Oh, definitely. I think that there is a point where all cartoons should end - Family Guy, The Simpsons, and Spongebob are cartoons that have definitely passed that point. It's pretty hard to continue coming up with fresh ideas for a show that has been running since 1999. Unfortunately, lots of people still watch these shows, so I doubt that they will end anytime soon.

• Brohoof 3

To me, the show was hardly ever decent after its first few seasons, where it actually felt like it had a soul and humor that wasn't just entirely disconnected scenes. It is nuts how different the show was when it first started. It was so much better then. South Park has suffered the same sort of fate where it had its own style originally, but then only relied on trends and happenings in the real world to produce its 'humor'. Both of these shows should have ended a long time ago in my book.

• Brohoof 5

That show needs to end, it's been going on for 19 years, that's a long time for any TV show and it had a good run with some good seasons and episodes. Of course that would have been back in it's hay day, as of today the show is a crap pile of garbage that is only continuing to decompose. I've honestly never liked Family Guy, and I wouldn't bat an eye if it was canceled tomorrow. The show needs to end to make way for the newer and more creative shows to take it's place, like they always say, out with the old and in with the new.  

• Brohoof 2

Family Guy needs to end. I used to watch that show, The Simpsons, and South Park those years ago for the laughs. However, as time passed I eventually stopped watching these shows. I got bored with them over what they've become (as mentioned above). Hell The Simpsons is the only animated tv show from the 1980's that's still making new seasons and episodes. Speaking of Spongebob, I used to be a fan of that show during the later years of my childhood. I was obsessed. I'm surpirsed none of the voice actors haven't said anything of moving on from doing Spongebob. 

44 minutes ago, Totally Not Wolf said:

Him killing Brian (later saved) was supposedly his way of wanting to disconnect from the show.

I remember that episode! :o So that's why Brian was killed off? Wow bruh... 

The reason why Brian was revived is because of the public response of wanting him being brought back.  

I kind of like older Family Guy, especially the stuff from before the series' first cancelation. But almost everything after that has been garbage. Too many cut away gag scenes, not enough story. I prefer American Dad because it actually tries to feel like a sitcom (albeit a crazy one... lookin' at you, Roger :P).

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Rainbow Dash said:

I tolerate the guy, but if Seth could stop pretending to be progressive that would be better for the show, because his lies seep into the programming. Yet, you look at his life and the fact he says he tries to emulate people like Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra and you wonder if hes trolling America.

As much as guys like Frank are picked on; he was quite progressive in his younger years, IIRC. Say what you will about his later years, but that felt like an unfair slap to the face.

In any case Family Guy these days feels more like shock value and overuse of politics without the charm that it used to have. There was a time when it was funny, and while the older animation style wasn't good, it arguably holds up better because of the writing.

• Brohoof 1

I still like Family Guy, i dont want it to end. I agree with other Shows like the Simpsons, but Family Guy is still good in my opinion. I would be sad if it gets cancelled.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/6/2018 at 3:13 PM, Prospekt said:

I kind of like older Family Guy, especially the stuff from before the series' first cancelation. But almost everything after that has been garbage. Too many cut away gag scenes, not enough story. I prefer American Dad because it actually tries to feel like a sitcom (albeit a crazy one... lookin' at you, Roger :P).

Same. Roger is ducking hilarious!

• Brohoof 1