Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that you like but think are a tad overrated

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Bit of a strange question here, but I am curious if anyone of you have a similar dealio with some games. There are games you may like or even love, but for whatever reason you still think it may not deserve its popularity or extremely high praise, if it has those. Are there any games like that for you and if so, why?

For me, a BIG one is the original Dark Souls. Simply put, I actually love the game. I love its combat, I love its lore, music, most bosses, that sort of thing. However, I do think the game gets just a little too much praise at times, to the point where people just flat-out ignore its flaws. One huge flaw the game sometimes has is in its enemy design. In some areas of the game, there are enemies that can kill you in one combo or two hits or so, when some bosses cannot even do that at the same level. The Tomb of the Giants, one of the most poorly designed areas of the game in my book, has these four legged skeleton enemies that do so much damage that it is ridiculous. Their standard attacks do an insane amount of damage, but they sometimes stand up and lunge down and that attack, it seems no matter what level you are or your defense, that WILL kill you no matter what. I can hardly think of any bosses that can do something like that and it makes me feel that the design was botched here, especially the boss of this area, Gravelord Nito, is a joke. He doesn't do ANYTHING that can kill you in one hit, so having those skeleton enemies, a STANDARD ENEMY do an attack like that is idiotic. Same goes for enemies like the titanite demons, which sometimes are put in poor locations making them harder to fight than some bosses. Let's also not forget the Bed of Chaos, which is one of the most pathetic 'boss fights' I have ever seen in ANY game, let alone it being the worst in this series.

Because of that I think the game doesn't quite deserve the praise it gets from some, as some talk about Dark Souls 1 as the apogee of game design. It really isn't. It is a great game, but not THAT great.

Hm, I'd say Undertale comes readily to mind. It doesn't live up to the hype, but I think that speaks more about the hype than the game.

• Brohoof 1

Fallout 4 to start off with.
Even though i love getting lost in the world, its a bit too short and not a lot to do...however i think it fixsed a lot of stuff previous Fallout games suffered in. Sprinting and real time vats to name a couple.

Mafia 3
It feels like the graphics are from 2010 even though it came out in 2016. Controls are super clunky too...as if it were made for a PS2. However, the story is great, you can get lost in the world, classic cars, and the overall story is pretty interesting

(edited)

Final Fantasy IX is one of my favorite games in the series but it's honestly not the franchise darling everyone says it is. If anything IX has the worst fanbase in the franchise

Final Fantasy IX is the one game in the series you're not allowed to criticize without fanboys foaming out of their mouths demanding your blood. The game's combat is abysmally slow, the trance system is an awful limit system with no control meaning it'll activate when you least want it to such as a random battle when you'd want to save it for a boss fight but the game's all like "lol you want this to be useful? Nope! LOL FUCK YOU!". Also the cast is not that great as people say as almost half of them(namely Eiko, Armarant and Quina) are either dreadfully bland or incredibly annoying. People say it's one of the best because it's a return to form like the classic games with it's lighthearted tone unlike the last games despite FFVII and VIII not being that dark, in fact IX is arguably darker(For example IX has more major deaths and moments of mass murder vs VII and VIII, in fact VIII has on of the lowest body counts in the franchise)

Edited by Whomps
  • Brohoof 2

-Ocarina of Time: Loved that game, and today I still like it, but it has shown it's age and people still praises it as the holy grail of gaming to this day :dry:

• Brohoof 4

10 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

-Ocarina of Time: Loved that game, and today I still like it, but it has shown it's age and people still praises it as the holy grail of gaming to this day :dry:

Yeah,    I like the game myself but I feel it gets to many fans a going on a high note.   

Pokemon: yes you may start the fires now.    I like pokemon and its fun as hell but I feel at times they are just throwing out random designs for the pokemon now it makes me question if the artist is high at times.  

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Tao said:

Yeah,    I like the game myself but I feel it gets to many fans a going on a high note.   

Pokemon: yes you may start the fires now.    I like pokemon and its fun as hell but I feel at times they are just throwing out random designs for the pokemon now it makes me question if the artist is high at times.  

Not to mention that it sparked a time of Nintendo losing it's creativity and soul in order to replicate the success, as seen with Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Funny because Twilight Princess could be on this list, if not where because it's not as universally praised these days. Same with SS, but didn't bothered to play it

• Brohoof 1

• Pokémon Red/Blue. I know that they were the first of a great franchise, but I really hate how people *cough cough genwunners cough cough*  say that it is by and far the best. That's just not the case. It had bugs everywhere, the game had balancing issues out the a** (STAB physical Tauros with Hyper Beam was freaking insane, everything Psychic type...). Not to mention it had no post-game, and had probably the lowest replay value of the entire franchise (with the lack of teams you could compile). It was one of the first games I ever played and I loved it, but it was nothing so special as the best, because it's far from it. Honestly, it's probably on the worse end of the main series games. I feel like a genwunners going to crucify me for saying such a thing, but that's what I think.
  • The Legend of Zelda as a franchise, particularly Ocarina of Time. They are great games, there's no question there. But the issue here is that I don't think that at least one of them is even in my top 40 of all time. I say Ocarina of Time in particular because listening to my brother makes it sound like not saying it's top 10 or at the very least top 20 material is some sort of heresy. The game was a classic, but it has FLAWS. Those including, but not limited to: Na'Vi's existence, occasional pacing issues, difficulty spikes, and some boss fights with less than optimal construction. I also have played a couple of others in the franchise (Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess), and it applies to them as well, but to a lesser extent.
  • Star Fox 64. A lot of Star Fox fans consider this game the undebatable best of the franchise, but I disagree on multiple grounds. Firstly, the game is short. Like, horrendously short. Playing through the game as a whole takes only an hour, and playing through it with all possible paths still takes only 10 at the most. After that 10 hours, it has almost zero replay value (which works poorly for a gameplay-centered game such as this). Secondly, it has an issue with somewhat annoying, stale characters. I'm mainly talking about Kat and Slippy, but it also applies to Pigma as well. Thirdly, the game is honestly too easy, and that makes the first problem worse. Though with all of those flaws, I still consider it a great game, but I think Assault is a good bit better than SF64 to be honest.
23 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Honestly that applies to a lot of N64 games... *cough cough Goldeneye 007 cough cough*

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to go with the classic Battlefronts. I use to play the hell out of those games as a kid, then they both broke, and I got bored of my PS2. Eventually they came out on the Xbox One, and... well, the games have aged, especially when compared to the newer ones. Plus now that I know a lot about Star Wars lore, it bothers me how much both games get the lore wrong, I could easily make a lengthy list on Battlefront 2 Classic. That being said they're still fun games, and are a part of my childhood.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Awesome as it is, I feel it's put too highly on a pedestal while other 2D Metroidvania style games were arguably just as good and the 3D Metroidvania style Castlevania games were seriously not that bad. If we can include game franchises as well, Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy for me for sure. As much as I appreciate Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts and love Final Fantasy, I get so tired of much more underrated RPGs not getting the attention they deserve because of them.

11 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Awesome as it is, I feel it's put too highly on a pedestal while other 2D Metroidvania style games were arguably just as good and the 3D Metroidvania style Castlevania games were seriously not that bad.

Oh yeah, played the Drac X Chronicles version. It has shown a BIT of age, but not enough, gameplay wise at least. But that voice acting tho :dry: 

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Oh yeah, played the Drac X Chronicles version. It has shown a BIT of age, but not enough, gameplay wise at least. But that voice acting tho :dry: 

I played the original PS version three times. :orly: Haven't played the PSP version yet, but thanks for making me more motivated to play it by showing me that they improved the voice acting and script. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

Undertale is the one that immediately comes to mind. It has some legitimately brilliant moments and the soundtrack is great, but on the whole the game really isn't much more than just okay, I think.

Another one I have to mention is Skyrim. I've got more than 2500 hours in it, I still love playing it, and I still look for new mods every now and then, but it really isn't a fantastic game. Unmodded, I wouldn't even play it anymore. It has too many bugs to count, it was never the most stable even entirely vanilla, a lot of the quests are quite bland, but despite all of those things I keep coming back to it. I do wish they'd finally kill it off and start working on ES6 though.

(edited)

"Fortnite" undeniably. It is a very great game, but it gains too much attention.

Edit: after deeper consideration, I have decided that Fortnite isn't as overrated as I previously said it was.

Edited by EpicEnergy
my opinion changed
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, KatonRyu said:

Undertale is the one that immediately comes to mind. It has some legitimately brilliant moments and the soundtrack is great, but on the whole the game really isn't much more than just okay, I think.

Another one I have to mention is Skyrim. I've got more than 2500 hours in it, I still love playing it, and I still look for new mods every now and then, but it really isn't a fantastic game. Unmodded, I wouldn't even play it anymore. It has too many bugs to count, it was never the most stable even entirely vanilla, a lot of the quests are quite bland, but despite all of those things I keep coming back to it. I do wish they'd finally kill it off and start working on ES6 though.

You are in luck because they did finally announce ES6 at E3, though all we got was a logo with a pretty backdrop and as far as I know, proper development isn't yet underway, currently preliminary stages. Sucks we won't see it for a long time yet, but I hope they can iron out the many issues of Skyrim and apply those fixes here fully, like the bugs and the terrible reusing of voice actors. Skyrim to me is a really good game with a fantastic world and lore, but if they can iron everything out for ES6, then yes. GIimme. 

18 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

You are in luck because they did finally announce ES6 at E3, though all we got was a logo with a pretty backdrop and as far as I know, proper development isn't yet underway, currently preliminary stages. Sucks we won't see it for a long time yet, but I hope they can iron out the many issues of Skyrim and apply those fixes here fully, like the bugs and the terrible reusing of voice actors. Skyrim to me is a really good game with a fantastic world and lore, but if they can iron everything out for ES6, then yes. GIimme. 

I've seen the trailer, but 30 seconds of mountains really isn't enough to get me hyped for it yet. I don't really mind the reusing of voice actors all that much, but fixing the many, many stability issues and graphical bugs would be most welcome. I also hope they won't draw too much from Fallout 4, because I still think that game isn't so much an RPG as a glorified shooter with a few RPG bits thrown in.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:47 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

I played the original PS version three times. :orly: Haven't played the PSP version yet, but thanks for making me more motivated to play it by showing me that they improved the voice acting and script. :mlp_icwudt:

Patrick Seitz' take on the fanger gives me the chills

This isn’t the case anymore, but back where it was at its peak popularity, Speedrunners.

I mean, it’s a fun game, don’t get me wrong, but I think people blew it out of proposition.

Then again, Let’s Players are (or at least should be) entertainers, which sometimes means exaggerating your reactions. Not their fault people take them too seriously.

• 4 years later...

Sonic Adventure 2 probably. I still think it's a pretty good game, but I don't really see it as the best Sonic game like a lot of people do. I'd play the 2D stuff or something like Colours before SA2. It's probably because I don't really like most of the mech levels and about half of the treasure hunting levels. :rarity: