Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Splain it to me, Lucy. Steven Universe

ManaMinori

(edited)

First off- I don't follow Steven Universe. At all. I don't watch the show, I don't get the hype about it, but I do see it all over the internet, and I don't see what people see in it.

So anyway, I'm seeing a lot of feed on my Tumblr about SU's supposedly gay gem characters, Ruby and Sapphire, tying the knot, and I'm perplexed. How are they a gay couple? Gemstones don't have genders. I can get behind the fact that they may be called 'he' or she' for identifiable purposed, but again- gemstones don't have genders. Someone care to explain this?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

First off- I don't follow Steven Universe. At all. I don't watch the show, I don't get the hype about it, but I do see it all over the internet, and I don't see what people see in it.

So anyway, I'm seeing a lot of feed on my Tumblr about SU's supposedly gay gem characters, Ruby and Sapphire, tying the knot, and I'm perplexed. How are they a gay couple? Gemstones don't have genders. I can get behind the fact that they may be called 'he' or she' for identifiable purposed, but again- gemstones don't have genders. Someone care to explain this?

All gems in Steven Universe are female, with the exception of Steven because he was born instead of grown in a Kindergarten on a random planet. So Ruby and Sapphire, and really every gem, are “gay” as you put it. That’s from people over looking the show though. It’s never a point made vocally in the show. It’s more of from deductive reasoning.

Spoiler

Lesbian not gay.

Edited by Totally Nye
Added hidden comment

Just now, Totally Nye said:

All gems in Steven Universe are female, with the exception of Steven because he was born instead of grown in a Kindergarten on a random planet.

To be fair, Gems are actually considered genderless (except Steven as he's obviously a male). However, all the ones we've met choose to refer to themselves with the female pronouns. Both Ruby and Sapphire have been referred to as 'she' before.

Just now, MidnightFire1222 said:

To be fair, Gems are actually considered genderless (except Steven as he's obviously a male). However, all the ones we've met choose to refer to themselves with the female pronouns. Both Ruby and Sapphire have been referred to as 'she' before.

I suppose that is an accurate statement.

• Brohoof 1

Gemstones don't talk or have magic powers either :orly: so within the show's universe (kek) it's reasonable to considerable them as female, if only because that's what the creators have decided.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

God is a genderless spirit being, but identified as 'He', so I see your point in the gems being genderless but with pronouns for identifiable reasons, as I said.

18 minutes ago, Totally Nye said:

All gems in Steven Universe are female, with the exception of Steven because he was born instead of grown in a Kindergarten on a random planet. So Ruby and Sapphire, and really every gem, are “gay” as you put it. That’s from people over looking the show though. It’s never a point made vocally in the show. It’s more of from deductive reasoning.

Hide contents

Lesbian not gay.

Gay is defined as someone attracted to the same sex. Forgive me. You are correct. That doesn't support my understaning of gems being genderless, if they had a sex.

Yep. That's why many people consider Ruby and Sapphire to be a lesbian couple, because they're referred to by the 'she' pronoun. I don't know how Cartoon Network as a whole feels about couples like that in children's cartoons. Maybe the writers call the Gems (except Steven) genderless so they can get away with Ruby and Sapphire kissing. Or Pearl having an obvious crush on Rose. I don't know; I'm just making assumptions.

Technically the Gems have no default gender, but they all choose to take a feminine form. I guess when in doubt you can just call them pansexual and leave it at that. :P

• Brohoof 1

Gems are genderless though they're always preferred to with female pronouns. So along with that and the fact all gems including Ruby and Sapphire look female, people just call their relationship gay. People judge the show by what they see on the screen instead of by the actual lore. 

Though I'm pretty sure even the creators want it to be seen as gay considering they're constantly trying to get this type of LGBT message across. The whole purpose of Ruby and Sapphire's relationship is show support of gay couples, which a lot of countries including the UK and Russia don't like one bit, especially Russia who made Ruby a guy xD

Image result for Steven Universe Russia Censored

Can't wait to see how they censor the new episode though!

Spoiler

3f9.gif

They even made Ruby the bride just to piss them off even more xD

• Brohoof 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:42 PM, Codely said:

People judge the show by what they see on the screen instead of by the actual lore.

I remember Rebecca Sugar getting a ton of hate from people who were like that. Didnt she have to leave tumblr or something due to this?

On 7/15/2018 at 7:07 AM, Bas said:

is there anywhere IN THE SERIES ITSELF stated that gems have no gender?

Its alluded, and Pearl explains gem physiology throughout season 2 i believe.

Gems have no gender, the creator stated so yet people who ignored the lore and story painted it as a pro this or that cartoon. RUBY AND SAPPHIRE ARE BASED ON REBECCA AND HER BOYFRIEND IAN. Pearl even confirms gems are basically holograms with mass. The wedding scene was kinda meh in my opinion, but it was explained why they did it.
   Ruby wanted alone time, after realizing Sapphire was the one for her forevermore. She wanted to make a grand gesture to apologize and announce her commitment to their relationship aka Garnet. So she took inspiration from a cowboy comic book where in the end they get married. Ruby thinks human marriage is something Sapphire would be thrilled about...or something. I kinda stopped paying attention during the wedding.