Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunset Shimmer threatening to break the portal

Lucid_Nightlight

Remember when Sunset Shimmer threatened to break the portal with a sledgehammer?

That has got to be the dumbest idea any character in MLP has ever thought of! If she really did try to hit the portal, the hammer would've went right through without breaking anything! Why? Because it's a portal!

Trying to hit a portal with a sledgehammer is like trying to break a door by hitting the empty doorway!

• Brohoof 3

XZnT1To.png

Perhaps she'd say:

"Okay, then let's wait for the portal to close, then I'll wreck it"

and nopony would question it and they'd wait, because reasons. :love: 

In all seriousness, yeah, that wasn't really logical.

(edited)

I have 2 theories to explain Sunset Shimmer threatening to break the portal: 

1) Sunset assumed Twilight does not know the physics of the human world so she threatened to break it without the actual intention of ever breaking it. If you notice she gives up super easy when Twilight says no (before getting jealous of Twi again and jumping on her, turning into demon etc) so perhaps she always knew she could never follow through. 

2) Sunset Shimmer was not aiming at the portal itself because as you say the hammer would just fall through to Equestria, but instead aiming at the supports of the horse statue that the portal is inside of. "Friendship Games" shows us the statue itself is breakable. If the statue breaks it would be likely the portal would break/close forever. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 3

I feel like it's a bad idea to mess with something connected to the interdimentional Limbo without having a very good idea of the magic behind it. See Mirror Magic when Juniper Montage's mirror (that has trapped the Mane 7) almost breaks.

Definitely one of the most worthless threats from a villain to me. Sure she was bluffing, but could anyone even take her seriously? Yes, trap Twilight AND yourself in a world where everyone hates you even more and you have literally no chance to get the crown. Even as a bluff it was pretty bad. Rule #1 of bargaining: Do a bargain that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 2:51 PM, Kyoshi said:

Definitely one of the most worthless threats from a villain to me. Sure she was bluffing, but could anyone even take her seriously? Yes, trap Twilight AND yourself in a world where everyone hates you even more and you have literally no chance to get the crown. Even as a bluff it was pretty bad. Rule #1 of bargaining: Do a bargain that makes sense.

To be fair Twilight had pretty much destroyed all her plans at that stage. I suspect she was just grabbing at straws and hoping Twilight would be desperate enough to go along with it without really thinking things through in the pressure of the situation. Something she is actually right about if I remember right Twilight say's no because if she hands over the crown she's abandoning this world to Sunset while Equestria can survive without her so DESTROY the portal. She thought Sunset could do it when she made her choice. There is a big diference between watching a show and critiquing someone's decisions and making one in the heat of the moment. I've been there when someone collapsed at work and I just froze up not sure what to do even though I'd been through the training. Next time maybe I'll freeze up again or maybe I wont, no idea which it'll be till I'm there. In this case Twilight was stressed, under pressure and her "enemy" had just told her hand over the crown or I trap us here. She's only been in the world a few day's and known about the portal only slightly longer whereas Sunset has had years to study and make her plans. Do you call her bluff, give up or make the choice of sacrifice because maybe she's telling the truth.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, Senko said:

To be fair Twilight had pretty much destroyed all her plans at that stage. I suspect she was just grabbing at straws and hoping Twilight would be desperate enough to go along with it without really thinking things through in the pressure of the situation. Something she is actually right about if I remember right Twilight say's no because if she hands over the crown she's abandoning this world to Sunset while Equestria can survive without her so DESTROY the portal. She thought Sunset could do it when she made her choice. There is a big diference between watching a show and critiquing someone's decisions and making one in the heat of the moment. I've been there when someone collapsed at work and I just froze up not sure what to do even though I'd been through the training. Next time maybe I'll freeze up again or maybe I wont, no idea which it'll be till I'm there. In this case Twilight was stressed, under pressure and her "enemy" had just told her hand over the crown or I trap us here. She's only been in the world a few day's and known about the portal only slightly longer whereas Sunset has had years to study and make her plans. Do you call her bluff, give up or make the choice of sacrifice because maybe she's telling the truth.

I agree with your comments on Twilight and Sunset and I'm also so sorry you had to witness someone collapse at your job. That is terrifying! I know the feeling as I once witnessed one of my teacher's in medical distress and froze up at first too. Did the person who collapsed end up okay? What was wrong with them?? If you don't mimd me asking? 

14 hours ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

I agree with your comments on Twilight and Sunset and I'm also so sorry you had to witness someone collapse at your job. That is terrifying! I know the feeling as I once witnessed one of my teacher's in medical distress and froze up at first too. Did the person who collapsed end up okay? What was wrong with them?? If you don't mimd me asking? 

Yep ambulance came and she made a full recovery.

• Brohoof 1

It definitely wasn't the best idea Sunset could've come up with but it was enough to make Twilight reconsider her options so in a way Sunset did succeed. Had she actually gone and carried out her threat, she could've hit the side of the statue's base causing some damage, and with enough blows cause the whole thing to come crashing down. Also, she might have been acting of desperation since her previous attempts at getting her hands on the crown had failed and she only had one shot left.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...