Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Equestria and ponies were to be discovered to exist, what would scientists call them?

Lucid_Nightlight

What would their scientific name be? Would they be considered a different species than ponies in our world? Will they be considered to even be equines? Would they be considered extraterrestrials due to them not being from this world?

sapien is the suffix genus for "man".  if it were to translate like that, equinus sapien would translate to "horse man", which suggests a bipedal creature rather than a quadruped...

• Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, Miti said:

sapien is the suffix genus for "man".  if it were to translate like that, equinus sapien would translate to "horse man", which suggests a bipedal creature rather than a quadruped...

I think he meant in terms of intelligence and thought structure but your still right :fluttershy:

23 minutes ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

The scientific name would probably be "Equinus Sapien" but no matter what the name would be I'd be trying to move to Equestria 

You might be able to go to Equestria but you are still far away from your goal, you know that right? :toldya:

Anyways, I got the scientific name for the horse family, "Equidae", so I'll just say Equinus Equidae. Ehh... That... Sounds weird :eww:

Maybe something like Equestrian Major or something like that; though I sure there'd be plenty of debates about labels, sentience, and all of that stuff in one form or another.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Miti said:

I thought it meant wise (For example, Homo Sapien translates as wise man)

3 hours ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

What would their scientific name be?

Oh god, I don't know comrade, I'm no scientist or anything ^_^

Would they be considered a different species than ponies in our world?

I mean, I think they probably would be, as ponies from this world are dumb and can't talk, while ponies from Equestria are smart and can talk, and Equestrian ponies are much differently colored then ponies from world, as our world ponies aren't pastel colors ;)

Will they be considered to even be equines?

Oh yes, I think they would be, while they wouldn't be ponies from our world, I think they would still in general fall under that family tree and such. 

Would they be considered extraterrestrials due to them not being from this world?

I mean, they might, I guess if they're not from Earth they would be considered Aliens, it's just kinda a weird thought to think of ponies as Aliens though :wacko:

(edited)

Their species could be a vast amount of things. Their genus would remain Equus, but knowing modern scientists, they like to make big names for stuff not yet named. I know I would name them Equus bronus, because it sounds like brony sort of and still sounds intelligent. But maybe a separate genus would be created as well? Bronus earth-pony, Bronus unicorn, Bronus pegasus, etc.

2 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

OK!

Thanks for correcting me!

So I revise my answer to homo equinus

The only problem with your response is that homo is the genus of humans, which is vastly different from Equus or my theoretical Bronus. If we were to still name them homo equinus as you put it, we would need to label them much differently than anything in the Equidae family.

Edited by Totally Nye
Added ending sentence.

41 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I mean, they might, I guess if they're not from Earth they would be considered Aliens, it's just kinda a weird thought to think of ponies as Aliens though :wacko:

By that logic to them we'd be the aliens.

I'm sure someone somewhere has already done this for all 4 species of Pony and possibly some of the others. The one I'm wondering about is Discord how would he be classified?

3 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

OK!

Thanks for correcting me!

So I revise my answer to homo equinus

Equinus Sensibilis?

Equinus meaning Equine and Sensibilis meaning Sentient

On 7/10/2018 at 12:06 PM, Miti said:

@Sherbert Music-Guard if you're aiming for wise equine, it would be homo equinus, as "homo" is the latin word for "wise".

Just pointing this out because no one seems to be: the sapiens part of homo sapiens means "wise." Word order in Latin languages is different than English. I personally like equus sapiens, which I've seen used in a couple of fanfics.

• Brohoof 2

It would be surreal to us humans that some species of horse would be able to speak in perfect English. We would classify it has some sort of sapient race?

5 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

It would be surreal to us humans that some species of horse would be able to speak in perfect English. We would classify it has some sort of sapient race?

Going by my experiences with humanity if a horse talked they'd kill it with fire then take it apart to try and determine why.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Senko said:

Going by my experiences with humanity if a horse talked they'd kill it with fire then take it apart to try and determine why.

That is humanity for you. Ruining the good things in life.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

If they never had any relation to earth life then no, they wouldn't really be considered animals. It's even more unlikely that they have any direct link to earth horses. They're probably just a parallel evolution. I would guess that earth scientists would make up a whole new set of names for lifeforms from their planet.

Edited by Fluttershutter

On 7/10/2018 at 12:11 PM, Lucid_Nightlight said:

What would their scientific name be? Would they be considered a different species than ponies in our world? Will they be considered to even be equines? Would they be considered extraterrestrials due to them not being from this world?

Different species than our world ponies? Last time I've checked we are a different species from chimpanzees  :dash:. They would be considered equines as much as we are scientifically primates. Yes, they would be considered alien animals, but depends of their origin. Extraterrestrial if they are from another planet, and interdimentional if from another dimension

my scientific names would be:

-Earth pony: equus sapiens terra

-Pegasus: equus sapiens volaris

-Unicorn: equus sapiens magicae 

-alicorn: equus sapiens superioris 

-bats: equus sapiens chiroprera

• Brohoof 1

I don't know Equuss Sapiens maybe, 

A sapient equine, colloquially known as a sapient pony or simply a pony, is any member of the species Equus sapiens (Latin for "wise horse"). There are five known subspecies of sapient equine: "terrestrial" or "Earth" equines (Equus sapiens terrestris), winged equines or "pegasi" (Equus sapiens volaticus), horned equines or "unicorns" (Equus sapiens rinocerotis), aquatic equines or "seaponies" (Equus sapiens aquaticus), and "winged unicorns" (Equus sapiens regalis).