Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation What if Disney closed its animation studio after Sleeping Beauty?

CastletonSnob

(edited)

Today, I learned that Sleeping Beauty almost caused Disney to shut down its animation division.

How different do you think things would be if they HAD? I think the entire animation landscape would be almost completely different. 

Edited by CastletonSnob
  • Brohoof 1

I doubt animation would even exist, at least in it's current state. Disney has had a huge influence on a lot of people and their works

• Brohoof 1

I think others would have been ready to step in. After all, Max Fleischer made his "Gulliver's Travels" in 1939. It was beautifully made, proving that Diseny wasn't the only one able to pull off an animated feature. If Diseny shut down their feature animation studio, perhaps Fleischer would have been able to take over.

Here's a link. Don't worry. Gulliver's Travels is out of copyright and okay to watch on YouTube.

• Brohoof 1

Without the Disney Company existing, we 99.9999% wouldn't have Friendship is Magic today. Lauren Faust grew up and was influenced by the Disney films.

• Brohoof 3

I'm sure there would still be animation, but it would look a bit different and maybe it wouldn't be as popular, seeing as so many people have taken inspiration from Disney. But perhaps there would be some other big-name animation giant in its place? 

• Brohoof 1

We would have missed out on a lot of animated treasures. What concerns me is how much we're missing out on by the fact that Disney has shut down its traditional 2D animation here in the present day. CG animation is nice and all, but there's a beautiful, time-honored art form of hand-drawn art that's being left to die a slow death. That's a terrible loss. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I assume it would be like modern Disney, as in no traditional animated films whatsoever. Disney seems to have stopped caring about them altogether. Now all they do are samey CG films, samey Pixar films, horrendous life action versions of their classics and generic "play it safe forever" Marvel movies. I am glad that they didn't lose their way back then. We would have missed out on soooooo many classic films that will forever be great. Amazing how the legacy that made Disney what it is has essentially been abandoned by them. Pity. 

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to What if Disney closed its animation studio after Sleeping Beauty?