Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What episode would be best for me to introduce my wife to?

midnightlegacy

(edited)

Hey all!

A couple of years ago, I was really active in the herd.  Slowly, however, my interests led me elsewhere.  I'm not sure why.  Anyway, I just began to "come to" in a way, remembering how much I like this show.  Since I was a hardcore participator in the herd, I have gotten married and my wife is allowing me to show her ONE episode.  She doesn't think I'm crazy or anything for liking the show, she just doesn't get it.  She is dead set on remaining firm and not "falling" for the ponies.  I'm trying to think of the best episode to start my wife off on.  Normally, I would just start her off on the first episode, however, since she has agreed to only one episode (it took A LOT to get her to agree to even that), I would like to pick the best possible "hook" episode.  Before I show her an episode, I plan on watching Season 7 (which I haven't seen yet) and what has come out of Season 8, so feel free to mention any of those episodes should you desire.

My main goal is to get her to a point where at least she is like, "Okay, I get why people would like this now.", but if I get her to actually like the show herself, that would be awesome!  Any suggestions are awesome!

Edit:  Just thought I'd add this little bit of information.  I'm trying to find least stereotypically "girly" episode, or what one would consider as such.  My wife is a tomboy and the reason she is so hesitant is the fact that she has that very common perspective of "MLP is a show for little girls."

Edited by midnightlegacy
  • Brohoof 1

I'd go with either Party of One, Fall Weather Friends, or Lesson Zero. If you feel brave, try Canterlot Wedding, as that's the one which convinced me to stick with 'em horses 

• Brohoof 1

I could suggest any of the season intro's as great episodes to get into to the series with, though I would say that the "The Return of Harmony" is probably the best of the bunch in this regard.:grin:

Just like the "Friendship is Magic", I think that it's a simple episode with clear stakes that introduces the viewer to the characters and their respective personality quirks quickly and efficiently. It has a hilarious villain, and, if people are wondering why Season 2's intro instead of the Season 1 intro, well...I personally believe that it's a far better episode overall.:rarity:

• Brohoof 2

Thank you both for your suggestions!  I do remember once trying to get someone into the show using "The Return to Harmony".  Perhaps the fact that it ends on a cliffhanger is also a good way to hook a person.:squee:

• Brohoof 1

As in every thread of this nature, my answer is the same. I'd start her on episode one, season one. I think the beginning is a great place to start. As the first two episodes of the series are more action orientated, it might suit her tom-boy outlook. 

Aside from the first episode? I always recommend S2's Read It and Weep, as I feel it's the perfect introductory episode that gets a lot of the characters right, not to mention being very relatable

If you want to keep her spoiler free (for the big changes at least), I would recommend Season 1's 'Applebuck Season', the plot is not girly, the main character is the least girly and it shows the awesomeness of a few ponies.

If you don't care about spoiling her, Season 7's 'A Health of Information' I won't spoil you, but once you get to it, I hope you can see why it's a good hook.

you want to introduce someone to mlp?  i'd say to start from the very beginning!  it would make the most sense then, so she could at least grow to see how everypony developed, just like those who saw the debut on it's very first showing ~ :fluttershy:

So, I ended up showing her "May The Best Pet Win" for the song in it, and how I thought it might appeal to her.  She did like the song, but I was unsuccessful at convincing her it isn't purely a "kid's show".  Oh well.  I don't think I'll get her to watch another episode unfortunately.:sealed:

On 7/16/2018 at 1:18 PM, midnightlegacy said:

So, I ended up showing her "May The Best Pet Win"

You should have showed her the first part of "The Return of Harmony", best season opener in my opinion as it's a classic and Discord was a great villain, it would have been a perfect way to show her that MLP isn't just for girls and how interesting some episodes can be, there's also nothing super girly about the episode as well :rarity:

I suggest one of the double episodes. Than you have to watch the other one. Double chance she would fall for it. :)

Plus, one with catchy song. Winter Wrap up is really good choice as it was written before.