Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trixie was vastly mistreated, the writers have no respect for her

Torques

1 minute ago, Key Sharkz said:

Is a cartoon character really worth making enemies over? Are you really that caring about a character that you are going to mistreat real people who don't like her to the point where you are going to turn them against you? We all have things we're passionate about but you can't just act like this when people disagree, you'll find yourself alone and with no friends very quickly. You have to be flexible.

This is a better thing for me to learn from. I may not always agree with you, Key. But these words reminded me of something I needed to remember. Thank you!:D

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

I have not seen ANY of the movies yet. Are they worth going out and buying in your opinion? 

I own all four of them myself and honestly so long as you can take them with a grain of salt and separate them from the series, they are fun watches with good music.

5 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

which is why i never moved to the next ones,i didn't know it was the weakest though

Yeah, a lot of people did that.

4 minutes ago, Wholly Windcharger said:

This is a better thing for me to learn from. I may not always agree with you, Key. But these words reminded me of something I needed to remember. Thank you!:D

I don't expect everyone to always agree with me, hell I look back at some things I've said and I disagree with myself sometimes. All I expect out of people is civility when disagreeing, with the exception of a few subjects. Like if you think we need to put all blacks to death, naturally there is not going to be any civility there.

Just now, Key Sharkz said:

I own all four of them myself and honestly so long as you can take them with a grain of salt and separate them from the series, they are fun watches with good music.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind when watching. I am probably going to order them from Amazon. Oh wait my Bday is coming soon, I can demand tribute from the family! 

Trixie has been treated quite well throughout the show, especially recently. Unfortunate things happen to her because of her poor judgement. You know that's how character development works right?

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Jedishy said:

I have not seen ANY of the movies yet. Are they worth going out and buying in your opinion? 

Rainbow Rocks is a blast. It was the thing that sold Equestria Girls to me.
I can recommend watching it!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
6 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Wow.

I don’t see any point in trying to debate this, it doesn’t seem like it would be well received. But I will say this; I didn’t like Trixie until TWaBA. There was nothing redeeming about her character, she was an arrogant stereotype that people liked because of how shameless she was in her arrogance. Even in NSP, she still wasn’t redeemed because the entire ordeal, and her friendship, was still all about her, and what she could get out of it.

It wasn’t until she helped Starlight save a bunch of people she didn’t even like that there was even a hint that she had any further depth to her character, and it wasn’t until then that she truly began to grow as a character. Before, she was a small character with only a handful of emotions and plans that we as the audience always knew would fail. She’s become so much more than that now, and it bothers me that people would rebel against this just because she didn’t end up matching their idealized headcanons

Not why I liked her at all, I liked Trixie because she is and always was obviously compensating for her ACTUAL failures with friendship. She is quick witted, her design is cute, I love Barrs VA for her, and I think she has been "given the shaft" by the writers, what made me LOVE her, was No Second Prances... this emphasizes her failures with friendship, and allows you to see the "human"(pony) side of her, she reveals that part of herself to Starlight in confidence, she looks death in the face putting confidence in Starlight even after hurting her, and ultimately hurting herself... I don't "like" the bad things Trixie has done, but Trixie is like she puts it in EG "talented" I dont believe the "most" talented, but the difference is, she doesnt use elements of harmony, she isnt an elitist unicorn, she jumped through hoops to always be who she was, and regardless if it didnt make a lot of sense to everpony else, it was who she was. She was dishonest about an admirable feat... it doesnt mean, lets take away all of her powers, and compare her to nothing, when she is a somebody... she put herself on the line for Equestria when the time came, but now she is kind of like "Starlights cute best friend" and I think they need to make an episode acknowledging this, I want a TRIXIE CENTERED EPISODE, that deals with her identity as a Unicorn, her roots with magic, and standing up and making a statement about who she is...

Edited by Aquaflame
  • Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Aquaflame said:

Not why I liked her at all, I liked Trixie because she is and always was obviously compensating for her ACTUAL failures with friendship. She is quick witted, her design is cute, I love Barrs VA for her, and I think she has been "given the shaft" by the writers, what made me LOVE her, was No Second Prances... this emphasizes her failures with friendship, and allows you to see the "human"(pony) side of her, she reveals that part of herself to Starlight in confidence, she looks death in the face putting confidence in Starlight even after hurting her, and ultimately hurting herself... I don't "like" the bad things Trixie has done, but Trixie is like she puts it in EG "talented" I dont believe the "most" talented, but the difference is, she doesnt use elements of harmony, she isnt an elitist unicorn, she jumped through hoops to always be who she was, and regardless if it didnt make a lot of sense to everpony else, it was who she was. She was dishonest about an admirable feat... it doesnt mean, lets take away all of her powers, and compare her to nothing, when she is a somebody... she put herself on the line for Equestria when the time came, but now she is kind of like "Starlights cute best friend" and I think they need to make an episode acknowledging this, I want a TRIXIE CENTERED EPISODE, that deals with her identity as a Unicorn, her roots with magic, and standing up and making a statement about who she is...

While I doubt that will happen in the next season, it would be really cool. I hope the coming Equestria Girls series on YouTube will deliver better on this.
I don't know why, I always loved her persona. She is like an even more dramatic Rarity, mixed with Rainbow Dash's old show off personality. And her design is pretty.

NSP was really a good episode, but I think Twilight got the "I don't know how friendship works" ball from the writers. She acted badly there, of course there wouldn't be a plot without her freaking out. 

Just now, RareGems said:

While I doubt that will happen in the next season, it would be really cool. I hope the coming Equestria Girls series on YouTube will deliver better on this.
I don't know why, I always loved her persona. She is like an even more dramatic Rarity, mixed with Rainbow Dash's old show off personality. And her design is pretty.

NSP was really a good episode, but I think Twilight got the "I don't know how friendship works" ball from the writers. She acted badly there, of course there wouldn't be a plot without her freaking out. 

I mean Twilight was attempting to form dishonest friendships, and was even about to lie to Celestia about who Starlight had even made friends with, I mean, she had brought in three ponies that Starlight didnt even befriend... Trixie is my third overall favorite character, I recognize her for what she is, and the things she really "could" I guess we shall say, do.... she wasnt born with sheer talent like Starlight or Twilight, but she is no dummy, and I think she was purposefully geared as the "running gag" "Shes Gone!" "Oh wait, there she is!" "Trixie is Okay!" As far as her ability mixed with illusion, smoke shade, etc, making herself appear on the outside of the door in Forgotten Friendship... it's just Trixie can do things... She cant do, explosive magical elemental, I have the power because I am the chosen one, type magic, but she can do, "you might have been lost there for a minute, without me" kind of magic, and she had magic, that initially transcended the writers, "identity" for her... I think Trixie should star in "princess for a day" not in the sense of being an overlord with an evil amulet, but in the sense of, Your help is needed idle, and you really are someones hero.. Twilight to Trixie, "I have to hand it to you, not even I could pull off a trick like that." Sometimes you can be powerful without being recognized. She isnt the "hero archtype" they shattered her confidence, made her the gag character, toned down her powers, and made her Starlights buddy tag along. I want them to acknowledge her bravery, and give her the chance to step up once more.

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was locked

This is actually an interesting discussion since Trixie's character has definitely evolved over the years. Since the OP was a previously banned user, please don't quote him, but feel free to engage his points he brings up. 

Reopening topic. 

• Brohoof 7

• The topic was unlocked

Twilight's failures are hardly punished, while Trixie lost everything for mistakes of a lesser proportion. However unfair this doesn't seem like bad writing, but logically fit. Twilight is essentially an upperclassman, with a direct relationship with Celestia herself. She becomes related to royalty by marriage, then becoming a princess herself. Trixie - not so much. She was alone in Equestria, with little economic support, so she has to support herself. It makes sense that someone of a higher soceital status gets a slap on the wrist at best, while Trixie has to deal with much worse.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Vlazamal said:

Twilight's failures are hardly punished, while Trixie lost everything for mistakes of a lesser proportion. However unfair this doesn't seem like bad writing, but logically fit. Twilight is essentially an upperclassman, with a direct relationship with Celestia herself. She becomes related to royalty by marriage, then becoming a princess herself. Trixie - not so much. She was alone in Equestria, with little economic support, so she has to support herself. It makes sense that someone of a higher soceital status gets a slap on the wrist at best, while Trixie has to deal with much worse.

That sounds a bit too sad for my taste, but it makes sense. Many people seem to like putting a darker tint on ponies. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, RareGems said:

That sounds a bit too sad for my taste, but it makes sense. Many people seem to like putting a darker tint on ponies. 

Well, MLP:FiM comic #65 did dive into that much further - though thats all I can say about it :twi:. Sustaining oneself is a major theme in MLP already, especially when it comes to Applejack

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Vlazamal said:

Well, MLP:FiM comic #65 did dive into that much further - though thats all I can say about it :twi:. Sustaining oneself is a major theme in MLP already, especially when it comes to Applejack

Hmm, I will look into that.

Respect is given, not taken. Trixie is an egotistical deadbeat whose only saving grace comes from opportunities given to her by our glorious writers. "Ever thus to deadbeats," say I (zip).

Wow, what did I just read for 6 pages? :o

Aside from the "go away" comments, it's been pretty interesting.

As to the original point of the thread, I don't feel like Trixie has been treated unfairly by the writers. She acts exactly how her personality has dictated since she first appeared in "Boast Busters": A self-absorbed unicorn who has an inferiority complex, probably due to a combination of having a troubled childhood and being a unicorn who has to bear the stigma of having a cutie mark "destiny" of stage magic instead of being able to cast real magic in a powerful manner like some other unicorns.

First of all let me state this up front: For the most part I like Trixie. She's an entertaining character in small doses. Though I admit she took a hit in "To Change a Changeling" as far as my tolerance of her. There, she seemed to throw Starlight under the bus every chance she got. When I saw that episode again recently, I was dismayed how nasty she was to her supposed best friend. I realize some of that is just the rapport the two of them have with one another, as Starlight threw in a few jabs as well; but with friends like that Starlight might as well cozy up to Chrysalis, lol.

While Trixie does seem to care about her friendship with Starlight at times, mostly she takes it for granted. And again that seems perfectly in character for her because Trixie is all about Trixie - that's just who she is. Her haughtiness even made her potential suicide in S6 come off somewhat like a pity party due to the dramatic way she behaved.

As for the Mane 6, Spike and Starlight getting special treatment by the writers compared to her, I don't think that's valid. By all accounts, all of them have had their time in the fandom penalty box for acting dumb or out-of-character. There's no shortage of complaints when it comes to episodes like Mare-do-Well, 28 Pranks, Spike at Your Service, Princess Spike, Every Little Thing She Does, Honest Apple, Fluttershy Leans in, Cart Before the Pony, and on and on.

I still have hope for her, though - perhaps she'll get some closure and have an epiphany when it comes to how a real friend should behave if she ever gets a chance to reunite with her father and can put that part of her past to bed?

• Brohoof 1

Please leave Twilight out of this. She’s a well-rounded character who just happened to have a rough patch for a couple years. I feel she was wrong to be so upset with Trixie, but that doesn’t mean she has no flaws, or that she gets away with everything. 

I confess, I didn’t read all six pages of this. I did read the first post, though, so here are my feelings about Trixie. 

In some ways, “Magic Duel” foreshadowed the softer approach to antagonist characters which the show would take over the next few years, but what it lacked was a proper demonstration of understanding. It’s more sympathetic towards Trixie than “Boast Busters,” which makes it a better episode, but it stops at Twilight forgiving Trixie without really acknowledging that the reverse might be necessary. 

I guess that’s why Twilight still doesn’t understand Trixie when she reappears in “No Second Prances,” but the two don’t really give each other a chance. Trixie’s prevailing emotions there are spite and self-pity, and in this show I don’t think either is very interesting. I don’t think she tried to kill herself - I just think she was unwilling to call the show off, and failed to plan ahead. I haven’t seen that episode in a while, though... I don’t really like it. I think the writers were trying to express the concept of intersecting but ultimately separate friend groups, which is why Trixie and Twilight have never gotten to know each other better, but increasingly I feel that just divides the cast too much. 

I started to actually care about Trixie in “To Where and Back Again,” where her pride was less tempered with self-pity and her wit found more agreeable targets. I liked her friendship with Starlight, and how she was able to support her friend in a way that Twilight probably couldn’t. I appreciated her willingness to sacrifice herself for the greater good. I felt she showed emotional vulnerability in a much sweeter way than ever before.

To some extent, that’s also true of “All Bottled Up,” where her primary emotion is enthusiasm over potentially being more than what she had resigned herself to. I’m not deeply invested in her underdog status or magical prowess, but I do like seeing what characters care about, and I feel Trixie’s illusion-centric skills contribute to giving her a distinct identity. Here, she gets the treatment so many other characters got when they messed up: the opportunity to recognize their mistake, explain themselves, and make up for it. I don’t like this episode though, and it’s because the original post has a point: she’s just made out to be dumb and obnoxious here l, and while she’s not made shallow, her behaviour distracts from her increasing depth. The show can’t just let her be likeable. 

I think that’s why Equestrian Girls’ “Forgotten Friendship” might be my favourite Trixie story yet. She’s still kind of annoying, but this one takes her seriously without painting her as in the wrong. It’s finally her story, and I cared more about her than Sunset. She already has a base for her personality, with faults and interests established, so seeing her proactively trying to help someone was refreshing. Plus, it’s again made clear that she just wants people to like her. Her insecurities are present without devolving unto self-pity. My ideal Trixie appearance would be a combination of that and the humour of “To Where and Back Again.” 

I like Trixie more right now than I ever had before. I hope the writers find a better balance between the funny and relatable parts of her personality in future appearances, because I now have an idea of what I want both sides of her to look like. 

4 hours ago, Truffles said:

Wow, what did I just read for 6 pages? :o

Aside from the "go away" comments, it's been pretty interesting.

As to the original point of the thread, I don't feel like Trixie has been treated unfairly by the writers. She acts exactly how her personality has dictated since she first appeared in "Boast Busters": A self-absorbed unicorn who has an inferiority complex, probably due to a combination of having a troubled childhood and being a unicorn who has to bear the stigma of having a cutie mark "destiny" of stage magic instead of being able to cast real magic in a powerful manner like some other unicorns.

Now that's an interesting take on Trixie's personality though I don't think it quite fits. Although I wouldn't mind a discussion in another thread on whether a Pony can get a cutie mark that doesn't match their interests or personality like when Twilight accidentally switched her friends ones "My destiny's not pretty but its what my cutie mark is telling me.".

However given the way even when she starts to learn spells like transmutation and teleportation Trixie is sitll linking them to her performances I don't think she really feels a stigma for being a stage magician she loves it and even if she has great and powerful spells she isn't going to try and be a court magician like Sunburst but rather use them to make her stage performances even better such as teleporting out of a pony eating manticore.

I also don't think she was planning on Suicide in season 6 given the manticore was also taking a bow at the end of the show she was just showing Starlight in the only way she could think of she was sorry and still wanted her friend back.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:53 PM, Senko said:

Now that's an interesting take on Trixie's personality though I don't think it quite fits. Although I wouldn't mind a discussion in another thread on whether a Pony can get a cutie mark that doesn't match their interests or personality like when Twilight accidentally switched her friends ones "My destiny's not pretty but its what my cutie mark is telling me.".

Heh. That point of view worked its way into my comments due to me clearing my DVR of repeat episodes that had been recording while the hiatus was on. One of them happened to be "Magical Mystery Cure," and watching that episode again put me in the mindset of cutie marks reflecting what a pony was most talented at. Though I didn't mean to say she herself was ashamed of her cutie mark - I meant her unicorn peers may have thought such a talent for a unicorn was silly, and her having to put up with any bullying over having a destiny of being a mere "stage magician" instead of casting real spells like they could could easily cause her to have some self-esteem issues.

Interesting that you brought up Sunburst - he and Trixie do have something in common: They aren't particularly good at casting spells. Where they differ is Trixie likely has more raw talent than he does, but unlike him she has no tolerance for actually sitting down and trying to learn. She expects these skills to be handed to her on a silver platter without any of the hard work or study it requires to become an expert. Sunburst on the other hand is very happy to do all the work required, but despite that he's still only average at doing magic.

The only time I think Trixie was mishandled was in Boast Busters where it makes Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash take a personal issue with her telling a tall tale. Writers just don't provide enough to justify their trying to stop her and to not simply walk away.

Trixie is the farthest thing from a mistreated character. Maybe Spike in the early years of the show, I can see people complaining that he got mistreated, but...Trixie? Despite there having always been implications that there was more to her character than being a narcissist, she has never been intended to be likable in the traditional sense. She does stupid and selfish things and gets her comeuppance, that's been the running gag with her since day one. Hell, even Spike did jerky things on occasion so that we wouldn't feel sorry for him when he got his just desserts. And then we have Trixie who was portrayed as someone who was willing to give her life to make things up to a friend and then later allow herself to be captured so her friend could save Equestria. But of course, there's always ignoring facts to support victim mentality...for a cartoon character, nonetheless. :maud: