Vlazamal

Does Equestria need a stronger army?

Recommended Posts

After seeing Equestria constantly invaded with little conventional resistance, it starts to become more evident. The "royal guards" have shown to do like nothing. The Wonderbolts get trashed by Spike. Celestia gets overpowered by Chrysalis.  Darth Fizzle Pop Berry Twist made meancemeat of the entire royalty and Canterlot. Equestria's protection completely lies in the hands of the Mane 6 and Princesses, and its fate is constantly challenged.

 

Do you think Equestria needs a stronger army? How would such be achieved? How effective would such be?

  • Brohoof 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they need city personal Army and Equestria Army. In my opinion.

The first one to concentrate on one and specific city or place, so it can't be taken easily and if there's trouble nearby, they can arrive faster.

The second one is called for emergencies and packed with heavy forces, it's kinda the final resort, the real final are the mane 6 and the princesses

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Royal Guard would probably do just fine if it weren't for the fact that they keep going up against plot armoured villains so the mane 6/princesses can save the day in the episode/movie. Its the same way Celestia/Cadence keep losing when Twilight needs to save the day and Twilight + Celestia lost when Starlight needed to save the day. Afterall the wonderbolts/Royal Guard have protected Equestria successfully for 1,000 years. Meaning etiher there has been a sudden rush of attacks in the last few or as I said the villains are plot amoured so no regular forces can deal with them. me I subscribe to the former.

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The royal guards become useless is for plot convenience.

Like the appearances of the villains are also for plot convenience.

They are all for plot convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kevin Tang said:

The royal guards become useless is for plot convenience.

Like the appearances of the villains are also for plot convenience.

They are all for plot convenience.

Exactly just like the running joke starwars Stormtroopers have lousy aim because that's how they're normally shown in the movies but whenever they aren't dealing with the main heroes suddenly they become hundredds of times more effective.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Senko said:

Exactly just like the running joke starwars Stormtroopers have lousy aim because that's how they're normally shown in the movies but whenever they aren't dealing with the main heroes suddenly they become hundredds of times more effective.

Like what I said, plot convenience.

Compare the royal guards at the time before Luna's reformation and at MLP Movie.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Senko said:

I think the Royal Guard would probably do just fine if it weren't for the fact that they keep going up against plot armoured villains so the mane 6/princesses can save the day in the episode/movie. Its the same way Celestia/Cadence keep losing when Twilight needs to save the day and Twilight + Celestia lost when Starlight needed to save the day. Afterall the wonderbolts/Royal Guard have protected Equestria successfully for 1,000 years. Meaning etiher there has been a sudden rush of attacks in the last few or as I said the villains are plot amoured so no regular forces can deal with them.

Fair point. The villains didn't wait till the mane 6 were ready. Before that they also fought villains, but they were not as plot armoured I guess.

Nice examples being Sombra when he was banished and Tirek when Scorpan betrayed him. I believe the royal guard was a strong army which was capable of dealing with such threats. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not just here either books and movies are full of examples of powerful, dangerous people/forces which suddenly become useless when a main character is needed to be shown as the savior.

EDIT

Of course if you want an alternate explanation. Shining Armour was the strongest, smartest and most powerful Royal Guard in decades no problem too big, no issue too small leaving the others nothing more difficult than their all night gaming sessions. The the big meanie got married to a princess who invites commoners to call her by a shortened version of her name and moved to the Crystal Empire so now teh rest of the royal guard are trying to relearn how to be soldiers.

Edited by Senko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if it is just a common trope throughout entertainment for the effectiveness of royal guards and official soldiers to pale in comparison to the effectiveness of the heroes, I would like to see the royal guards do more. I can trust that they're competent enough offscreen, but I actually that would be a good idea for an episode, delving into the life of an Equestrian guard.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Even if it is just a common trope throughout entertainment for the effectiveness of royal guards and official soldiers to pale in comparison to the effectiveness of the heroes, I would like to see the royal guards do more. I can trust that they're competent enough offscreen, but I actually that would be a good idea for an episode, delving into the life of an Equestrian guard.

Then go with my edited second response above where rather than competant offscreen/against non plot protected villains they all relied on Shining Amour for everything and are lost without him or a princess.

Of course they could just be a cermonial guard to protect/escort Celestia in a peaceful land she's loved in on the assumption if Equestria was invaded they could call up reserves only the enemies keep bypassing the country and attacking canterlot directly.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they just need an inteligence gathering agency not a better army,they always seem so unprepared for the attacks its not a matter of force
and maybe the army actually does stop vilains behind the scenes,but we only get to see the ones that elude them and get defeated by the main cast

  • Teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much as I disl

3 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

i think they just need an inteligence gathering agency not a better army,they always seem so unprepared for the attacks its not a matter of force
and maybe the army actually does stop vilains behind the scenes,but we only get to see the ones that elude them and get defeated by the main cast

Much as I dislike it your theory supports my joke one that it was all about Shining Armour as when he was captain of the guard they knew the changelings (beings able to assume anothers form) were a threat to Canterlot, increased the guards and had a shield over the entire city. Sure it didn't work but they were on top of things when he's gone they keep getting caught by surprise. Hmmm maybe he had an intelligence service and they went with him to the Crystal Empire?

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Senko said:

Much as I dislike it your theory supports my joke one that it was all about Shining Armour as when he was captain of the guard they knew the changelings (beings able to assume anothers form) were a threat to Canterlot, increased the guards and had a shield over the entire city. Sure it didn't work but they were on top of things when he's gone they keep getting caught by surprise. Hmmm maybe he had an intelligence service and they went with him to the Crystal Empire?

now that you mention it,they did know there was a changeling around when thorax lived nearby and were on high allert

Edited by Lord Valtasar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, hmmm maybe Shining Armour really was the captain of the guard, main fighting strength and intelligence service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS ... Oh wait, that'd probably be a griffin thing. Never mind.

 

Yeah, pony army: two thirds are useless against pole weapons and one third runs on batteries. Plus they need to draft peasants and weather workers whenever they want those two thirds of said army, so their economy goes to shit as well.

 

But Goat-kun, Maud can crush stones ... throw her and her sisters at a wall of spears, see what happens. Bonus: throw her and her sisters and Wonderbolts at a wall of spears that guards ranged weapons. Infantry is bread and butter. Ponies, being ungulates, have no way to effectively fulfill standard roles.

 

But-but-but Goat-kun, the tornado ... Goat-kun looks at the captains of artillery units: "Fire at the tornado. You literally cannot miss. The siege team that slaughters the most pegasi in one shot gets to drink the finest ale tonight!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it needs a better guard for one thing, but this is a kid's show and I don't think they would do anything related to the army. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need a sorta armed civilian population, threats are always far, few an in-between threats that pop-up, we don't need a million guards just standing by, waiting for something to happen. There are not constant threats like there is in our world, they always pop-up and are random, so they only need a small force, even if one pops-up its easily dealt with so the force is kept small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Wonderbolt Slipstream said:

I think we need a sorta armed civilian population, threats are always far, few an in-between threats that pop-up, we don't need a million guards just standing by, waiting for something to happen. There are not constant threats like there is in our world, they always pop-up and are random, so they only need a small force, even if one pops-up its easily dealt with so the force is kept small.

Which also fits with what we've seen the princesses have royal guards protecting them in the crystal empire and cantalot but we've only seen a nationwide army in the alternate timeline where they're fighting against Sombra. There are police (sheriff's in the series) and city police in the comics for manehattan but no real soldiers or if they are they're like soldiers in my country with a base here or there but you only rarely actually see them in uniform. Meanwhile threats are usually dealt with by whoever's closest generally Twilight and/or her friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 11:32 AM, Califorum said:

I think it needs a better guard for one thing, but this is a kid's show and I don't think they would do anything related to the army. 

If only this show were American,  it would be perfectly acceptable and even congratulated to have the entire show take place in a military setting. 

 

16 hours ago, Wonderbolt Slipstream said:

I think we need a sorta armed civilian population, threats are always far, few an in-between threats that pop-up, we don't need a million guards just standing by, waiting for something to happen. There are not constant threats like there is in our world, they always pop-up and are random, so they only need a small force, even if one pops-up its easily dealt with so the force is kept small.

Well Equestria is constantly threatened by its neighbors to go to war. Griffonstone and the Dragons included. If Equestria had a larger military, they surely wouldn't be so bold. Equestria has a huge population in comparison to the neighbors that threaten them. The Storm King's armada, a much smaller threat than population than Equestria was able to cripple Equestria with a few grunts? Dragons in the comics were able to waltz on Equestrian villages? Unacceptable.

 

Most population estimates puts Equestria's population over a million. Much larger than the other states combined. Equestria should have tens of thousands of trained ponies defending, not less than 80. There's no infastructure in place in case for war or communication. Celestia could certainly delegate some resources without hurting economy or quality of life.

Equestria should speak softly. but carry a big stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vlazamal said:

If only this show were American,  it would be perfectly acceptable and even congratulated to have the entire show take place in a military setting. 

I doubt that. It is American, to some extent.

Edited by Califorum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.