Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Anatomy - can earth ponies control their hair?

Senko

Ok first off please don't just reply "Cartoon physics" or the like I know its cartoon physics done for a joke I'm just interested in a little discussion of how it gets pulled off inworld as it were. If you want to provide an explanation of how those cartoon physics work go ahead but simply saying that as an answer won't conribute anything to the discussion I'm hoping to get.

So in a couple of episodes we see Earth ponies doing things with their hair and mane that others don't. Pinky pie's the worst offender here actually picking up and holding things in hers but there have been others who've done something similar like Apple bloom wrapping her tail around a strand of flags to slide down it. So I'm curious do you think one of earth ponie's hidden talents is the ability to use their mane and tail like a pair of hands if need be?

Well Pinkie Pie is...Pinkie Pie and as for Apple Bloom, in real life, there exist plenty of creatures who have dexterity with their tails. The power of earth ponies is supposed to be their strength, and you don't need strength to lift hair, manipulating hair would make more sense as some kind of psychic or magical power. So yeah, I'm sorry, I think it's just cartoon physics Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie.

@Senko 

Moving your thread to Show Discussion.

Also, if pegasi can hold things with their wings I see no reason why an earth pony can't use their hair. Though I think in general they likely prefer using their mouths instead which is why it's not shown that often. Probably just another example of earth pony strength overall.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Like I said I'm pretty sure that is the answer but thanks for obliging me by providing an explanation rather than just saying that.

We have seen pony's holding things flat against their side rather than with a hoof/mouth like Applejack and her . . . I wonder if its a Pie/Apple clan trait?

I'd Cherilee at least would probably rather write with chalk using her hair rather than her mouth.

Edited by Senko

(Thinking way too hard about this.... :) )

Prehensile hair (because as far as we know pony tails are actually very short, much like real-life equines, and what we are seeing is very long hair) are usually explained by magical animation or a limited form of shape-shifting (providing it's not just 'cartoon logic', but you don't want that as you said ;) )

Pinkie Pie shows this ability the most, and she *also* demonstrates the most extreme 'cartoon malleability' in the show as well; inflating, deflating, and deforming at will. So I'm suspicious that this is an extension of a 'natural' shape-shifting ability.

• Brohoof 1

It's gotta be Earth Pony strength, what else would it be? Earth Ponies are already much stronger than Unicorns or Pegasus ponies, so it makes sense that they would have some greater dexterity with their limbs and bodies in general, including being able to hold and manipulate things with their manes and tails. Unicorns have magic to hold things, Pegasus ponies have their wings to hold things, and Earth ponies have their manes and tails to hold things, though, Earth ponies in general still seem to use their mouths a lot for holding things.   

• Brohoof 1

I think ALL ponies can do it, not just earth pony, it's just the most apparent with earth ponies because they have fewer options. I subscribe to the keratin theory, so any keratin body can channel magic, including hair. 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:46 AM, Ganondox said:

I think ALL ponies can do it, not just earth pony, it's just the most apparent with earth ponies because they have fewer options. I subscribe to the keratin theory, so any keratin body can channel magic, including hair. 

Your right I just rewatched (well ok am reawatching) the buckball episode and Fluttershy flying in midair bouncing one of the balls on her tail. She's a pegasus and she's moving the tail up and down to catch and toss the ball up in the air. We know its just hair as Rarity cuts hers off to give a sea monster a moustache (at least I hope its just hair or her generosity went from sweet to ouch) yet Fluttershy's got no problem controlling hers.