Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Equestria Girls get so much hate?

Dashy 4 Ever

Does it really? :mlp_wat: It does seem to divide the fandom a little, with some people liking it and others not. But even out of the people who don't like EqG, it seems to me that most of them just aren't interested in it, few people actually hate it.

To me, it seems it's a combination of a few things. First of all, the characters being humans doesn't appeal to everyone, and the high school setting has also been criticized. Also, many people have said the new characters' personalities aren't as refined as those of the FIM characters. I like EqG myself, though I still prefer FIM.

• Brohoof 5

5 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

Can someone explain why does Equestria Girls get so much hate. Lots of people say they hate it and it's weird. That makes me sad.

Maybe in 2014. Now those that find it abhorrent and constantly obsess over it don't have as loud a microphone because time makes echoes fade. The majority is just apathetic, which is perfectly fine. You see, you are allowed to like what others don't, and hate what others do, and all the things in the middle. Those that base their enjoyment on whether others are on the badwagon sadden me, because I question their long term genuine love of something. They are more likely to just ... stop caring when something is not popular again. Take a gander at all these types of threads. Those who start them ... aren't around anymore. 

Can you break the tradition OP? Let's hope so, but the statistics are against you. 

• Brohoof 5

Because they're not ponies, it off puts some fan. Also because they have...interesting body proportions. It's an awesome series, but some people get caught up on minor things.

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Maybe in 2014. Now those that find it abhorrent and constantly obsess over it don't have as loud a microphone because time makes echoes fade. The majority is just apathetic, which is perfectly fine. You see, you are allowed to like what others don't, and hate what others do, and all the things in the middle. Those that base their enjoyment on whether others are on the badwagon sadden me, because I question their long term genuine love of something. They are more likely to just ... stop caring when something is not popular again. Take a gander at all these types of threads. Those who start them ... aren't around anymore. 

Can you break the tradition OP? Let's hope so, but the statistics are against you. 

I know all this, but it seems to get a lot of hate from also MLP fans. Not for the fact they don't like it, but that they don't accept it.

Never been a fan of Equestria girls. Mostly because they aren't ponies. I also don't like the thin spindly design of the characters. Yes, I have watched a few of the movies but they just aren't my cup of tea.

• Brohoof 1

Back when it first started, Equestria Girls was given a lot of criticism by the fandom because it was Hasbro's attempt at competing with Monster High, used humans with magical powers as opposed to ponies, and going with the typical high-school trope that has been seen time and time again. But, once more movies and specials got released, fans' opinions began changing and they started accepting it. Sure, it might not have the same kind of scope as seen on the show yet it makes do with what it's given.

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

I know all this, but it seems to get a lot of hate from also MLP fans. Not for the fact they don't like it, but that they don't accept it.

It seems? A lot? You realize that none of that is enough to formulate an opinion that is both reasonable and non-reactionary, right? What exactly is a lot? 5 people out of 100? 17? 32? 

Do this. Go to Equestria Daily where they allow a bit more salt that we do. Find a recent blog entry focused on EqG. Now, count the total comments and start categorizing them based on the temperature of the comments. Favorable, Unfavorable, and No Opinion. Then start separating the opinions into sub-groups ... so that way you don't count the, "Eh I didn't like it at all" opinions. That is NOT hate. 

Also, I reject the assertion of this post because .... 

"Why do so many hate Twilacorn?" 

"Why do so many hate Flurry Heart?" 

"Why do so many hate Star Wars?"

"Why do so many hate mayonnaise?"

"Why do so many hate God?"

"Why do so many hate YouTubers?"

You see what I'm doing? I'm framing the question as an affirmative fact and seeking a cause when we don't actually know it is a true statement to approach. You need to first find out ... 

"How many like/don't like this thing?" Only then can you start asking "why?" ...  assuming that something is a quantified amount of course. 

• Brohoof 6

Honestly, the haters are the vocal minority. The numbers speak for themselves, the movies got good scores by fans on virtually every site they were reviewed on with I think maybe one or two sites for a single film getting an "okay" score. They got enough positive attention to justify making four of them and a spin-off series. It's pretty clear that the hate is coming from a vocal minority. Most of the people I see talking about how "trash" they are, are the over the top edgy type who want you to think they are cool because they're critiquing the show and writing big essays about it. It usually reeks of "Look at me, I'm saying a lot about it along with tons of talking points so my opinion must be more correct or something", when the majority of the time they are usually just killjoys who can't stand the fact that other people don't care as much as they do and they hope others will pat them on the back for how "intellectual" they are for their lengthy reviews.

AKA: most of the haters are people who are trying to be in the cool kids club.

The rest of the people who don't like basically just don't care for it and they go on their merry way and don't spread hate because they find raining on others' parades to be a big waste of time.

30 minutes ago, Jeric said:

It seems? A lot? You realize that none of that is enough to formulate an opinion that is both reasonable and non-reactionary, right? What exactly is a lot? 5 people out of 100? 17? 32? 

Do this. Go to Equestria Daily where they allow a bit more salt that we do. Find a recent blog entry focused on EqG. Now, count the total comments and start categorizing them based on the temperature of the comments. Favorable, Unfavorable, and No Opinion. Then start separating the opinions into sub-groups ... so that way you don't count the, "Eh I didn't like it at all" opinions. That is NOT hate. 

You see what I'm doing? I'm framing the question as an affirmative fact and seeking a cause when we don't actually know it is a true statement to approach. You need to first find out ... 

"How many like/don't like this thing?" Only then can you start asking "why?" ...  assuming that something is a quantified amount of course. 

Yep that's happened to fandoms 

That why fandom ate hated 

It’s impossible to create something that everyone is going to like. People are either going to not like it and watch something else or they’re going to like it. I didn’t think that I would like it when I first heard of it but I have it a chance. It adds some backstory to the Fim series but it’s not necessary to watch.

I thought EG was fun at first! But ever the Magic Trilogy, the series has started to become stale for me. I don't care for any of the shorts, but I did LOVE Forgotten Friendship, but I didn't like Rollercoaster of Friendship at all though. Forgotten Friendship woulda been a great series finale for EG! But like I said, the series is really going stale. It's alot more stereotypical and cliche than FiM, and plus ponies are more interesting than another high school teen show. I really hope EG doesn't outlast FiM! 

Maybe I'd like the show just a little more if they ACTUALLY did something with Spike! But even then, it would just gain my interests for a little while. There really isn't much EG can do that Forgotten Friendship hasn't already did. But I suppose they can try! ;)

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Okay, I get it. The main cause for this topic was for me to see reasons why some hate it. That's all.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Because it's not an instrument to some.

All jokes aside, it's just something that some people in the fandom don't like. Just like some people don't like shipping, a certain character or creepypastas or even having an OC. This fandom is more diverse than many other fandoms out there.

2 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Back when it first started, Equestria Girls was given a lot of criticism by the fandom because it was Hasbro's attempt at competing with Monster High, used humans with magical powers as opposed to ponies, and going with the typical high-school trope that has been seen time and time again. But, once more movies and specials got released, fans' opinions began changing and they started accepting it. Sure, it might not have the same kind of scope as seen on the show yet it makes do with what it's given.

It doesn't help the introduction to the first official waifu thief, , one of the most boring villains, and that was the next thing released for G4 ponies after Twilicorn. Not to mention it was rather uncertain for many the existence of S4

There are "overly convenient plot devices" that is the only flaw with Equestria Girls, I mean sure it isnt the "only flaw", I think there problem is how it fuses with the main timeline/continuity, like, IN Equestria, Twilight has to think about her endeavors as a Teenage girl, and this bothers some people that it isnt alternative timeline mumbo jumbo... I LOVE Equestria Girls, I love the designs, I love the music, I love the villains, I am IN LOVE with Sunset Shimmer, and she is the sell of EG tbh. It may say "Twilight Sparkle and her friends" but It might as well say "Sunset Shimmer" I love that it centers Sunset very often, it is a refreshing change, with an excellent character identity. People hate EG because the first movie  was kind of randomly pressing the issue, I dont like it all that much just because I dont like seeing Sunset as the villain, it is by far my least favorite Equestria Girls... but just like, awarding a crown that a student turned over as the prize for being the most popular student is kind of silly, but Helping Twilight Win the Crown is incredibly catchy, and one of my favorite EG tracks.

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Can you break the tradition OP? Let's hope so, but the statistics are against you

Whoa, @Jeric is being a savage in this thread B)

But really, I honestly don't think that EQG gets much hate anymore, that's kinda in the past now tbh.......

People of course hated it when it first came out, but overtime, the longer it's been around, the more that people have became OK with it, or at least have stopped hating it and taken a neutral stance towards it. Personally I don't hate EQG, I wouldn't say it's necessarily the best, butttttt I did really like Rainbow Rocks so, I'll give them that. Not sure how big of a fan I am with the shorts that EQG releases sometimes, but again, I don't really hate it, I just think they could do better is all. Overall, while I'm sure there are a few dedicated haters of EQG out there still, I think a majority of EQG's hate is in the past now as people have become accustomed to it being around all this time :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Something something lauren faust hates it
something something monster high rip off
something something wasting talent
something something truk not monkey
something something waifu thief

Honestly if you still have a massive hate boner for it and feel the need to constantly broadcast it to the world, you need to stop being an attention whore. 

• Brohoof 2

I like Equestria Girls just fine. I like the ponies better and that's probably as far as any backlash goes. Fans wanted a movie about the ponies, not human counterparts made to sell toys. As far as their own merits, the Equestria Girls movies are good. 

"Why do people think that a few people not liking what they do on the internet means that that thing they like on the internet is universally despised?"

Word of advice. Don't herald what one small side of the internet thinks as the "popular opinion". Ever. Look into what people from all sides have to say, always.

Now, truthfully, the hate for Equestria Girls was at a peak back in mid-2013 when the concept was still very new, but that hate has been on a decline ever since the first movie was released and many people who were initially iffy about the concept gave the film a chance and liked it. And the very next year was when the popularity of Equestria Girls was at its peak with the much-loved Rainbow Rocks. I know there are criticisms of the franchise becoming repetitive and stale and I am well-aware that never-EGers do exist, but that doesn't vouch for the majority. I've seen too much acclaim for the franchise to look at Equestria Girls as overhated.

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

It doesn't help the introduction to the first official waifu thief, , one of the most boring villains, and that was the next thing released for G4 ponies after Twilicorn. Not to mention it was rather uncertain for many the existence of S4

I won't deny that Sunset was a terrible villain--Vignette is a lot worse in that regard--and Flash Sentry's presence did annoy a lot of people but they turned Sunset around and for the better I might add. As for Flash... well... I suppose it's better than what could have been had they stuck with that.

2 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I won't deny that Sunset was a terrible villain--Vignette is a lot worse in that regard--and Flash Sentry's presence did annoy a lot of people but they turned Sunset around and for the better I might add. As for Flash... well... I suppose it's better than what could have been had they stuck with that.

I don't get it. Are we talking about the franchise in general, or the first movie :huh:?