Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Equestria Girls get so much hate?

Dashy 4 Ever

When it was first announced, I utterly despised the very idea of it because it was completely disrespectful to all the world building Lauren Faust did. One of the reasons I initially fell for this show is because it didn't indulge in this sort of stuff, it stood out for having a generally interesting world that stood on it's own. Since Lauren Faust the world building hasn't been anywhere near as good (and as such most the people who really cared have already jumped ship), sometimes feeling more like satire of Earth than Equestria, but nothing was as egregious as needlessly turning adult ponies into human highschoolers. Ergh. There is nothing that can be done about it though, at this point Equestria Girls is firmly established, and I'm just grateful the series has continued in such a manner that I can continue to just ignore it's existence. 

Now I'm a bit more reasonably tempered, but I simply have no interest in the series. I've seen some of the shorts, and they are nowhere near as appealing as the show. The writing isn't as good, and neither is the animation. The prior is probably just due to them being shorts, but I blame the animation on moving from pony to human models as one of the biggest problems is that the clothes are very stiff. I'm not going to fault you if you like the series, despite having no ponies it IS more pony, but I want no part of it.  

(edited)

I don't get it either. Why are highschool girls with magical powers worse than talking ponies with magical powers?

Whatever...Sunset Shimmer and "The Sirens" exist because of Equestria Girls and that's why I'll be forever grateful that this Spin-off exists.

Edited by COH
  • Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...

Because their not ponies to me it just doesn't add up when they change from pony to human or human to pony when they travel threw that mirror/portal from Equestria and Canterlot High between worlds I don't like it when they change between pony and human I think they should stay one or the other

• Brohoof 1

For me it is the sheer mundane nature of its setting. Teenage girls in high school is such a dull and uninteresting idea, and the way they try to save us from boredom is by squeezing in magic from Equestria proper. Which makes me ask, what the hell is the point? If they need to inject so much stuff from the much more fun and unique pony world, why not just focus on only the pony world? I have never seen the point of taking something like FiM, with its total fantasy setting and injecting that into boring, real world stuff. FiM is a fantasy setting with real world things put into it, whereas EqG is the opposite and the first one is far more entertaining to me than the second.

• Brohoof 3

The humans look like they are suffering from some sort of horrible skin disease. Flash Sentry is a bland character, not the whole waifu stealing thing. It's in High School, enough said. Misanthropes who hate humanity hate it since they see humans.

The humans don't really look like humans. It was made to sell more toys.

I'm a big fan of HIE (Human in Equestria/Pony on Earth) but I can understand the trope is hated. Even for me, Equestria Girls humans are heresy, and need to burn in holy fire by the Inquisition of the Imperium of Man. (not sure if heresy really... maybe they could be spared)

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 1

I've only seen the first movie, and never really watched past Season 3, so maybe my opinion will change when I get farther in.

But personally speaking, I always hated a lot of aspects of it. First of all, I think the human designs are pretty ugly. I think they centered the design around something that would be easy to produce toys of. Hence the skirt + knee-high shoes combo on nearly everyone. It's easy to produce that as a toy since the base is basically the same for every character. 

I also hate the high school plot. When the characters are ponies, they're adults living their own lives, and some have jobs. Then suddenly they regress into high school? I know this was done because young girls loooove the concept of high school. It's trendy and cool and exciting. But jeez, it's so bad. It's a cheap trope that doesn't require much thinking. Plus the jump from adult pony to teenage human just is so weird to me. 

Edited by starrymiss
  • Brohoof 1

I watched Equestria Girls about a week ago. It was okay, it is still not as a good as the actual show though. The reforming villian trope got a little annoying after the third time they tried it which they ended up doing about 6 or 7 times.

So if there was no EG, then FIM would have those resources and time to expand with multiple movies and shorts.

Instead of rehashing the Mane 6 in EG, they could have worked with new characters as a circle of friends. Reusing Twilight's friends meant they played it safe and don't have to put much in developing them.

• Brohoof 1

Back in the day it was like this, Hasbro wanted to complete with Bratz and Monster High as a result Equestria Girls were born. What does High School  in the human world has to do with ponies and magic, eh...

Anyway that was yesterday, today Equestria Girls is beloved by many.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not interested in Equestria Girls, nor will I ever be. It's not that I hate it, it's just that it's not my "cup of tea". As for the hate you are talking about, I can't give an exact reason. I suppose it's because EQG seems too much of a normal TV show with simple color changes, having a normal school with normal things, but I can't say for certain that is an actual reason.

Edited by EpicEnergy

On 7/19/2018 at 5:30 PM, Sondash Studios said:

Can someone explain why does Equestria Girls get so much hate. Lots of people say they hate it and it's weird. That makes me sad.

Quick! Grab your bags and follow me ... I need to move this over to Equestrian Girls! 

;)

18 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Am I the only one who thinks this topic should be moved to the Equestria Girls section?

No, but there’s a helpful little report button that would have notified staff to move it with a lot less fuss. :P

I know there are people who like/hate Equestria Girls for stupid reasons.

Well to be fair, It is an awful movie. I'm talking about it's story, directing, character design.

After all these days, the character design is still bad, plots are repetitive(and still bad),

and they are all sequel to Equestria Girls. They put the wrong button in the first place.

I like the shorts tho.

And also, using "Haters gonna hate." attitude to wipe out reasonable critiques alongside unreasonable hate can be dangerous.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 7:51 AM, Wonderbolt Slipstream said:

Ugh, Brad...

Brad needs to fuck off. He's the worst MLP character I have ever seen. He doesn't know anything about Twilight and yet he flirts with her.

That's right, Brad. Stay far away fron Twily.

• Brohoof 2

I've only seen the first movie, and honestly, what killed it was how cheesy the writing was. Seriously. Just one song and everyone loves Twilight? One battle and Sunset Shimmer stops being a bad guy? That wouldn't happen in the show!

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Seriously. Just one song and everyone loves Twilight? One battle and Sunset Shimmer stops being a bad guy? That wouldn't happen in the show!

That's pretty much what happens in the finale of season 5, though. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sun Wukong said:

That's pretty much what happens in the finale of season 5, though. 

I don't remember everyone being neutral towards Twilight in the season 5 finale and then loving her after one song. Not to mention, Twilight Sparkle showed Starlight Glimmer what would happen if she changed the future, while all that happened here was the Mane (or HUmane in this case) beat her in a battle, and then BOOM instantly not bad!

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Twilight Sparkle showed Starlight Glimmer what would happen if she changed the future, while all that happened here was the Mane (or HUmane in this case) beat her in a battle, and then BOOM instantly not bad!

Yeah, it's kinda true, I think it's Starlight's reformation took way longer than Sunset's because she had a whole season, and Sunset had like, 1 hour. :-D

That, or it could be Sunset's determination to rule Equestria. When she was defeated, she realized that everypony hated her. So her the HUmane 6 helped show her the way. That's why her reformation was so quick. But Starlight, she wanted to get revenge on Twilight. That's why she took longer to be a good pony again.

Although they are similar, Starlight and Sunset have different stories and goals. That affects how fast they become good guys again when reformed.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

Brad needs to fuck off. He's the worst MLP character I have ever seen. He doesn't know anything about Twilight and yet he flirts with her.

That's right, Brad. Stay far away fron Twily.

Flash, the Bradinator, Sentry

• 1 year later...

Anyone remember Fluttershy's Lament?
Yea, who's idea was it to make a human version of Fluttershy. I have always blamed that for the creation of Equestria Girls. No reason to make a human version when the ponies are superior. Hasbro said "we saw the demand, people wanted this".

Sunset Shimmer saved Equestria Girls. And Forgotten Friendship is still my favorite episode of all time. But I don't really enjoy watching normal Equestria Girls episodes.

• Brohoof 1