Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever Been Homeless?

Olly

I was on a month long trip around europe and my budget ran pretty thin.so i slept outside during half of it.(it was december)so.while i wasn't exactly homeless i kinda lived the experience of searching for cardboard to sleep on

I was homeless for about a year and a half. I dont recommend it, but if you think your too privileged or spoiled than maybe. For me it was an eye opening experience. It showed me how small I was in the actual world. How meaningless your existence really is. I had jobs to help keep myself afloat, but people treated me differently. People who were once nice to me would dangle food above me in exchange for work that would by me a meal and a full tank of gas. Police ignored me when i was chased by a previous land lord. Family friends disowned me because i wasnt good enough to not be homeless. You find out who you're real friends are in this period. You find out that some friends only stuck with you cause you had money and resources they could abuse.

Of course, reading this back and it seems being homeless also makes you a harder person. In fact, there has been several instances when someone has tried to be my friend and i would push them away out of not trusting them.

• Brohoof 1

I was homeless for six months,  thankfully I had good camping stuff so it was not that bad and found a job in a few weeks of landing here.      It was one of the more harder things in my life and I kept it hidden from my friends back home.     Thankfully I found someone who needed a roommate and I was able to get out of that cycle.

I haven't been homeless in the literal sense. I've always had a roof over my head. But I've been bounced around and relocated to live with my aunt and uncle when my dad took a job overseas. My aunt and uncle are nice people but it was not home for me and I was extremely unhappy. I had no idea how long I'd be there and I felt hopeless. My cousin came and offered to take me to live in her apartment as her roommate and I jumped at the chance. I'm comfortable around her and things feel natural. There are different kinds of homelessness, and while some are better than others, none of them are pleasant. 

• 1 month later...

I'm actually currently homeless right now. It's been more than a month now and it's depressing and expensive. I have a job that I been at for 6 years and I stayed with a man who was the closest thing to a dad for the past 2 years until he back stabed me and my mom, packed up half of his clothes and disappear into South Dakota. I tried staying at my aunts trailer home near my job until I can find my own place but we couldn't agree on a rent arrangement for a sleep area that is basically like Harry Potter's bedroom at the beginning of the first movie. So know I'm living in a Ford ranger with my mom who is in the same boat.

Sort of. I came to where I'm living now for a construction job. When that was finished, I was offered a decent job doing car detailing, but I didn't have a place to live, so I spent my first two months here camping by the river while I saved up for a security deposit. While I technically matched the description for homelessness, I never really considered myself such as I always had enough for the essentials and even a little entertainment on the side. The day to day struggle was minimum, so I don't claim to have a proper perspective on what it's like to be truly destitute.

Overall it was pretty cool. Got to go fishing a lot and met a lot of cool people who I'm still friends with to this day.

Edited by Twiggy

I was almost homeless back when I was 8 or 9. We could barely afford rent and we were living in one of the worst areas in the state. It was better than nothing though.

I would be homeless right now if it weren't for my grandma paying the taxes on the house (I'm certainly thankful), due to my dad's seeming incapability to actually manage his money.  I don't personally know anyone who's homeless, but I know plenty of people who are almost homeless and halfway broke just like we are.

But, I do consider myself to be destitute, and I believe I have a right to say my life sucks, more than just emotionally:

• I have no AC in my house, and if you live around these parts, you'd know how miserable it can get. Even now in September the house gets past 90 inside for most of the afternoon...
  • I had to skip breakfast for an entire week, because I had literally nothing to eat for breakfast. I also skip lunch pretty often, just so what we do have doesn't run out.
  • There are all kinds of pests, everywhere. Wasps, ants, mice, moths, spiders... All sorts of s***, and we can't afford to keep it under control. So we just have spiders living in out living room (which I guess is fine, they keep the flies to a minimum), a few dead wasps in our bathroom, the occasional ant infestation, a big rat (I swear the thing is as big as a freaking rabbit) that's tearing up everything, and moths all over the inside of the pantry.
  • I have only two socially acceptable pairs of pants, so I often don't shower for two weeks at least (because it takes my dad that long before he decides to wash clothes).

I really do hate talking about my life in this thread when I'm not technically homeless, but I'm as close to homeless as I can be, without actually being homeless. For somebody with my kinds of emotional issues (anxiety, depression, the works), that's torment enough. I hope I never have to deal with actual homelessness, but it will happen the day that other people stop paying our property taxes and I don't get a lucky break and find a new place to live in.

Edited by Dusk Noire

I haven't been homeless but I've been around homeless people all my life since I've only lived in bad neighborhoods. Some of them are alright but others are shooting up smack and trying to pick fights with me. But I ain't scared of them. I never give the homeless money because I know they'll use it on smack or pills or whatever. I know because my eyes don't lie and I recognize the smell. I see them passed out on the sidewalk in the middle of the day, needles on the ground, empty bottles of malt liquor, yelling about stuff to nobody, and they got tents set up all over the place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, Hachiroku said:

My school is trying to evict me but I just payed them so they shouldn't be able to now, they still gave me a scary letter. 

At least it's something, right...? :laugh:

Edited by Dusk Noire
Since I think that was meant to be a joke.