Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Matter of Principals  

94 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Starlight: *angrily obliterates Discord from the school grounds* (I HATE IT! >_<)
    • Discord: "Well, that's disappointing." *flings artifacts into the air* (I dislike it!)
    • Gallus: "You've been underwater a looonng time…haven't you?" (…meh…)
    • Spike: "And the gems are real!" *Twilight stares at him; chuckles nervously* "Eh, not that I tasted them." (I like it!)
    • Discord: *snaps fingers* "Everything is re-hidden! *snicker as image flies by* With a few surprises." (I LOVE IT! <3)

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Discord took over Twilight's office.

And two gags at Spike's expense, thanks to Discord's chaos: Twitter mites zap Spike (causing him to yelp and jump into the moat, and then limburger cheese squashes Spike and nearly makes him gag. I know Discord and Spike like to get under each other's skin sometimes, but here, it really feels like mild Spikeabuse.

Discord does that to everyone! Why do people have to claim everything in Spike's dismay is Spikeabuse? In my opinion, Newbie Dash was the last Spikeabuse episode. After that it was smooth sailing from him!

Ehhh but there was that one time on Horse Play but hey he got free food! :3

• Brohoof 1

Cranky's lazing about in a lounge chair on the buckball pitch and REALLY hates all the drinks, spitting (accidentally) at Gallus's direction.

Great job making the donkey unlikeable. >_>

• Brohoof 4

The Student Six are exhausted from Spitfire's workout. Discord gets involved and brings a bugbear into action. Yona gets really fatigued and is almost badly injured by the bugbear, but Starlight zaps it away. Starlight calls him out for endangering the students and orders him to stop his mischief. When Discord pushes his buttons again, Starlight charges her magic and threatens to shoot it at his direction. Spike stops her, telling him he's her friend. Starlight says he's not acting like one.

Spike *to Discord*: What's your problem?

Discord: My problem? How is the fact that Twilight decided to put an incompetent, power-hungry unicorn in charge of her school MY problem?

Starlight obliterated him from the school grounds and destroyed a large chunk of the buckball pitch. The Students gasped in horror at the graphic display. Even Spike was in disbelief.

When the students left, Spike told Starlight her act just made things worse. "Why didn't you just talk to Discord?" he asked.

Starlight wonders why being in charge bothers Discord so much.

There's a really big problem with this episode: Discord's regression. In Break Down, he was a jerk with a heart of gold and clearly meant well when delivering his bad advice and helping to reunite Big Mac and Sugar Belle. Here, he's a complete brat. Since he's not in charge, he turned the school upside-down, made Spike's and Starlight's work twenty times more difficult, and put the students' lives in danger!

And now on the scavenger hunt, he's up to his old tricks again and now making Ocellus and Smolder believe the school's haunted!

…FUCKING HELL, man!

• Brohoof 6

The episode completely shits on Discord as a character and all of his progress since S3. He doesn't test his friends and only "look like he's an asshole", he simply IS the asshole who cares more about him being a part of "Friendship school" than he cares about Fluttershy's, Mane6 and Spike's well being. This episode is nothing but another "Look how responsible and competent Starlight is next to those stupid Mane6/Discord characters". If i would rate this episode, it would have been the Spike at Your Service of Discord episodes and wish it never happened.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Mixed feelings about this episode. Overall, the dialogue was cleverly written and, ignoring a certain character, the episode was entertaining to watch.

I find it funny how I used to say I wanted Discord to be more like his "evil" self again, and now he's finally doing that I couldn't really enjoy it because of him putting the students in danger. Starlight blasting him away really felt so satisfying.

The main problem was that Discord felt too mean-spirited. Despite that I did like how Spike defended him throughout the episode and knew that Starlight using magic against him would only make things worse. (Although honestly Spike's "Discord's is just being Discord" felt really inadequate after he send a Bug Bear after the students)

I did like how it showed us two new things about magic. If magic is powerful enough (And Starlight definitely had reached the limits of her patience) Discord can be banished from a place.

I was shocked when it was revealed Discord send the Mane 6 away on a false friendship mission. Apparently he can manipulate the Friendship map and the marks of the Mane 6. (Of course he could also have placed an illusion on the map instead)

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, JH24 said:

Mixed feelings about this episode. Overall, the dialogue was cleverly written and, ignoring a certain character, the episode was entertaining to watch.

I find it funny how I used to say I wanted Discord to be more like his more "evil" self again, and now he's finally doing that I couldn't really enjoy it because of him putting the students in danger. Starlight blasting him away really felt so satisfying.

The main problem was that Discord felt too mean-spirited. I did like how Spike did defend him throughout the episode. 

I did like how it showed us two new things about magic. If magic is powerful enough (And Starlight definitely had reached the limits of her patience) Discord can be banished from a place.

I was shocked when it was revealed Discord send the Mane 6 away on a false friendship mission. Apparently he can manipulate the Friendship map and the marks of the Mane 6. It really gives a glimpse how far Discord's magic can reach. Him manipulating the Friendship Map is huge.

I personally don't think Discord would've let anything actually hurt the students.

Also, him being "banished" is kind of a misnomer, because while his body was banished, his mind and his magic were completely unhindered.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
1 hour ago, gingerninja666 said:

I personally don't think Discord would've let anything actually hurt the students.

Also, him being "banished" is kind of a misnomer, because while his body was banished, his mind and his magic were completely unhindered.

Yeah, I like to think too Discord would have stopped before anyone got really hurt. 

True. I'm only using the word because Starlight (or Spike, I can't remember) mentioned it, but except for losing his physical form (he didn't even seem bothered by it) it didn't hinder him in any other way.

Edited by JH24

I still don’t get why they’ve made Starlight so powerful, even more powerful than our main cast without the Elements of Harmony. Back in “A Slice of Life” it took the Mane 6 almost the whole episode to defeat a bugbear but here we see Starlight defeat one with a single blast. 

We see her banish Discord’s body from the school, why couldn’t Celestia and Luna do that with their Alicorn magic when he was causing chaos in Equestria? 

(edited)
On 7/29/2018 at 5:23 AM, gingerninja666 said:

On 7/29/2018 at 5:49 AM, JH24 said:

Yeah, I like to think too Discord would have stopped before anyone got really hurt. 

True. I'm only using the word because Starlight (or Spike, I can't remember) mentioned it, but except for losing his physical form (he didn't even seem bothered by it) it didn't hinder him in any other way.

It makes you wonder if Celestia and/or Luna tried something like that (prior to the Elements), only to see him loophole his way through it (just like here). :laugh:

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 4

Begs the question, if Starlight this powerful and Discord is powerful enough to cause trouble even in Ghost Form, then does that mean Neighsay is or should be pretty much screwed in the end.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, bwrosas said:

Begs the question, if Starlight this powerful and Discord is powerful enough to cause trouble even in Ghost Form, then does that mean Neighsay is or should be pretty much screwed in the end.

True, but someone like Neighsay strikes me more as someone who would manipulate others and invoke certain laws which even Princesses may have to abide by.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, RulesofRarity said:

I still don’t get why they’ve made Starlight so powerful, even more powerful than our main cast without the Elements of Harmony. Back in “A Slice of Life” it took the Mane 6 almost the whole episode to defeat a bugbear but here we see Starlight defeat one with a single blast. 

We see her banish Discord’s body from the school, why couldn’t Celestia and Luna do that with their Alicorn magic when he was causing chaos in Equestria? 

Probably took them all day because Fluttershy didn’t want to hurt the bugbear, while Starlight doesn’t care about that and just nailed it. Or maybe Twilight taught her where the weak point on a bug bear is, using her own experience to teach her.

And how do you know Celestia and Luna never tried that? It obviously didn’t work, maybe they knew better than to try, or maybe banishing Discord from an entire nation is harder than banishing him from one school ground.

You do realize there are tons of explanations that go beyond just Starlight being powerful, right?

• Brohoof 5

Well I'll say this, at least we get More Trixie, Maud, and Surpisely Spitfire! Good Trio Choice by Starlight and Spike.  Question through, how Did Twilight figure out Discord was behind the false mission they were sent on. How?

• Brohoof 2

@ShootingStar159 Well, he want a canonical explanation.:fluttershy: 

@RulesofRarity The only canonical explanation we get in the show is Starlight gets strong when she pissed so dont provoke her. She cant even lift heavy stuffs with her magics, even Trixie can lift heavy stuffs...:sealed:

Starlight is more like an Element of Magic than Twilight herself.

• Brohoof 3

I think I do have a disappointment for this episode.

I wish Discord's antics caused Starlight to break down crying.  Maybe make him realize that what he was doing was wrong.  Would have been a better idea than to have Starlight wise up and go into a pity party.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, RulesofRarity said:

Because banishing him was established to not do anything in this very episode. He could still cast all the magic he wanted with or without his body and do the exact same things he was doing before.

I wish people would stop ignoring the fact that Starlight's magic rarely ever actually HELPS her. It doesn't solve her problems with like the one exception of A Royal Problem.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 3

Character and lore inconsistencies are just part and parcel of watching FIM. This episode almost gave me ligma. Wait, can ligma explain all this? Guys, that's it! Discord and Starlight both have ligma. Change my mind 3Y6uKBJ.png

1 hour ago, ShootingStar159 said:

And how do you know Celestia and Luna never tried that? It obviously didn’t work, maybe they knew better than to try, or maybe banishing Discord from an entire nation is harder than banishing him from one school ground.

You do realize there are tons of explanations that go beyond just Starlight being powerful, right?

It’s been established that Unicorn magic is ineffective against Discord. Twilight’s failsafe spell failed against his magic.  Starlight’s banishing spell shouldn’t of been able to affect him at all. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
7 minutes ago, RulesofRarity said:

It’s been established that Unicorn magic is ineffective against Discord. Twilight’s failsafe spell failed against his magic.  Starlight’s banishing spell shouldn’t of been able to affect him at all. 

Wasn't this the first time someone actually used magic against Discord directly? Twilight's failsafe spell was not aimed at Discord. And in a sense unicorn magic is still ineffective because while it banished Discord's physical form it had no effect on his magic. 

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 7/29/2018 at 1:40 PM, RulesofRarity said:

Twilight’s failsafe spell failed against his magic.

But later on, she succeeded with that bubble thing:

Seems to be more case-by-case than you think.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
18 minutes ago, RulesofRarity said:

The Failsafe spell had no effect on his magic. The banishing spell had no effect on his magic either.

Season 3 had a moment where Twilight was going to use a "reformation spell" on Discord to turn him good. Discord stole the spellbook pages and ate them. Implying that it would've worked had he not done that.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 5

18 minutes ago, RulesofRarity said:

Your entire arguments so far are based around baseless assumptions.

You assume that all bugbears are as strong or as determined as the one in Slice of Life, so Starlight driving one away means she’s overpowered.

You assume that Celestia and Luna couldn’t banish Discord the same way Starlight did, so she’s overpowered.

You assume that Twilight’s failsafe spell failing (which, by the way is a joke and shouldn’t be taken seriously) means that all unicorn magic is useless against him. And this isn’t even true, in part two, she disrupts his magic holding the other M6 with a bubble shield, which also seems to reverse the effects of his chaos magic as well. She also has a reformation spell she thinks would affect him in season three.

All of these assumptions are easily countered by asking questions that challenge those assumptions. This assumption of “overpowered” doesn’t have any basis in facts, and is entirly a gut, first-instinct reaction to the scene without any thought given for the context of the scenes or the larger world the show takes place in.

• Brohoof 3

Also, the banishing spell only kept Discord's body out of the school. So Celestia using that to keep him out of ALL of Equestria is ludicrous.

However, wouldn't it be fun if she did cast a a banishing spell on her castle as a means of keeping him away from the elements. It would explain why he doesn't show up in Person after he steals them, instead showing up via the stained glass being animated through his magic.

• Brohoof 1