Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight Sparkle grow bigger?

Bendy

I think there's not enough information to answer that question clearly.

Personally however I think Twilight will not grow anymore, as she's an alicorn for over 4 seasons and no significant change had appeared.

• Brohoof 2

It depends if she's fully grown. She does sort of come off as a teenager and the show has only spanned a few years as far as I can tell so far. On the other hand Celestia and Luna are both considerably bigger than she's likely to ever get just look at her mum and dad. She might in time grow up to be Cadence's size but on the other hand late teens you tend to have reached your full growth.

• Brohoof 1

I believe that Celestia and Luna are only bigger because they were born alicorns. If Twilight grew to their size it would be weird so I'm thinking that she will stay around the same size.

• Brohoof 1

I too think that Celestia and Luna are larger (and immortal) because they were born Alicorns. I also think that they are not quite the same species as the rest of the ponies. I've always felt that they were perhaps angels, or pony like life forms from another planet. I don't think Twilight has to worry about the loneliness and heartache immortality brings.

• Brohoof 1

I think Twilight will grow a bit bigger, but I don't think she'll be quite the size of Celestia and Luna. Twilight has already grown in the show, back before she became a princess she used to be pretty much the same height as the rest of her friends, but since becoming a princess she has grow a little and is now the tallest of her friends, as seen here-

416409__safe_edit_screencap_applejack_rarity_twilight+sparkle_equestria+girls_analysis_comparison_height_height+difference_size+chart_size+comparison_s.png

So there's no doubt in my mind that Twilight is growing, however it remains to be seen if she will ever reach the height of Celestia and Luna. If she ever does, then it probably will be long after when the show is taking place. 

• Brohoof 2

Nah. Cadance, Luna, and Celestia are all tall because they're tall, not because they're alicorns. Not many ponies know this, but it's actually a complete coincidence. 

That's my headcanon, at least, especially given that we've seen taller ponies who aren't alicorns, like Fleur-de-Lis and Sassy Saddles. I find it highly unlikely that she'll become taller within the show itself, given that would require creating a whole other asset, though I can't predict the future, and I don't really know what motivates change in the toy line. Even after growing a little taller, Twilight's size has remained about the same as a normal pony, so it stands to reason that being an alicorn might not actually influence physical size. 

• Brohoof 3

24 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I think Twilight will grow a bit bigger, but I don't think she'll be quite the size of Celestia and Luna. Twilight has already grown in the show, back before she became a princess she used to be pretty much the same height as the rest of her friends, but since becoming a princess she has grow a little and is now the tallest of her friends, as seen here-

416409__safe_edit_screencap_applejack_rarity_twilight+sparkle_equestria+girls_analysis_comparison_height_height+difference_size+chart_size+comparison_s.png

So there's no doubt in my mind that Twilight is growing, however it remains to be seen if she will ever reach the height of Celestia and Luna. If she ever does, then it probably will be long after when the show is taking place. 

I don't know if she's actually taller. She might just have better posture due to the positioning of her wings, and her pride at what she has become.

(That sounds good, doesn't it?)

^_^

1 minute ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I don't know if she's actually taller. She might just have better posture due to the positioning of her wings, and her pride at what she has become.

(That sounds good, doesn't it?)

^_^

Ehhhhhhh......... no, that's a bit of a stretch. Even I can visually see her horn has gotten longer, I knew that before I even looked at that chart. And she also has those added neck curves now, it's comparing it right against the old version of Twilight standing up straight to the new princess Twilight standing straight. I think it's pretty damning evidence that she has in fact grown taller :mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 2

I personally think that she will continue to grow as she ages. I feel that alicorns grow in height as they age as well as their magical capabilities.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Heh, heh, heh. I for one approve of comparing mare's horns!

... because it totally legitimizes my headcannon! 

See, been gradually noticing Twi's horn subtly growing and, coupling this together with the fact that Celestia clearly has the bigger horn compared to her sister I can say that there certainly is a connection between alicornhood & growth of favored traits. Both examples tend to rely on their magic more often, while Luna & Cadence are more physically oriented. Luna has been most heroic, prone to leaps & flight while Cadence is famous for foregoing any levitation in a pinch & preferring to be tossed like a javelin. From this we can deduce: bigger wings= previously a Pegasus; bigger horn= previously an unicorn.

So yes, Twilight Sparkle is intended to eventually match Celestia's stature. Perhaps not in the span of the show though...

Clearly, Luna being nearly a head shorter cannot be attributed to age difference; they would had to be equally mature at the point they earned alicornation. And, makes sense that Magic use, clearly a dominant trait, would supply more overall growth.

Twilie will toootally get that majestic, yard-long spiral antler! 

...though, maturation in natural born, pseudo-alicorns by right of combined genetic matrices thereby implicates a suitable wild variation in.......

Edited by Widdershins

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I was going to post that as soon as I got internet connection, you beat me to it! :P

11 hours ago, Bendy said:

Will Twilight Sparkle grow bigger over time as an immortal alicorn?

Sad as it sounds, Twilight and Spike will watch their closest friends/family die of old age, because she is of course immortal. Though we’ll never see that happen in the show because it seems like ponies live a very long time regardless due to Granny Smith founding Ponyville and such. If you want to see what life is like for Twilight after her friends passing, look no further than Google. :( 

• Brohoof 1

I think that she will... but didn't the season 6 premier prove Celestia and Luna are not born alicorns? Anyway, the reason is because she's already got taller as soon as she changed. Celestia confirmed not always so tall by Starswirl... that means she grew that tall over time. There is also the thing of chance. Luna is pretty short. She could stay the same size but I see it being unlikely as I stated before... she's already grown. 

1 hour ago, Kadeda said:

I think that she will... but didn't the season 6 premier prove Celestia and Luna are not born alicorns? Anyway, the reason is because she's already got taller as soon as she changed. Celestia confirmed not always so tall by Starswirl... that means she grew that tall over time. There is also the thing of chance. Luna is pretty short. She could stay the same size but I see it being unlikely as I stated before... she's already grown. 

I really think Luna's just tall naturally she's been refered to as a horse while Twilight is a Pony. Twilght's gotten a bit taller but I think that's just her growing a little older she's never going to equal Luna or Celestia and may not even grow as big as Cadence no matter how long she lives. Remember we saw all the mane 6 get their cutie marks just before she went off to school with Celestia so she's probably still in her late teens.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Senko said:

I really think Luna's just tall naturally she's been refered to as a horse while Twilight is a Pony. Twilght's gotten a bit taller but I think that's just her growing a little older she's never going to equal Luna or Celestia and may not even grow as big as Cadence no matter how long she lives. Remember we saw all the mane 6 get their cutie marks just before she went off to school with Celestia so she's probably still in her late teens.

What are you even talking about?

1. Okay, Luna is not tall... she's very slightly bigger than Twilight. Celestia is tall... and Starswirl in the season 7 finale was shocked to see Celestia so tall... where she confirmed by saying that a thousand years is a long time (or something equivalent). That also implies that Celestia grew over time... confirming that it can happen.

2. I can't be her just growing a bit older, it happened when she became an Alicorn... not a specific age. That implies that Alicorns again are able to grow. Now... it could be a permanent size but i doubt it. 

3. This last sentence... what? Why would that imply she's in her late teens? I think most people would agree that the ponies are in their mid to late 20's at this point. There is no way they are teenagers especially since they have actually introduced teenage bodies in season 6. Hell... i would more likely believe the crusaders are in their late teens over the main 6.  

Edited by Kadeda
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Kadeda said:

What are you even talking about?

1. Okay, Luna is not tall... she's very slightly bigger than Twilight. Celestia is tall... and Starswirl in the season 7 finale was shocked to see Celestia so tall... where she confirmed by saying that a thousand years is a long time (or something equivalent). That also implies that Celestia grew over time... confirming that it can happen.

2. I can't be her just growing a bit older, it happened when she became an Alicorn... not a specific age. That implies that Alicorns again are able to grow. Now... it could be a permanent size but i doubt it. 

3. This last sentence... what? Why would that imply she's in her late teens? I think most people would agree that the ponies are in their mid to late 20's at this point. There is no way they are teenagers especially since they have actually introduced teenage bodies in season 6. Hell... i would more likely believe the crusaders are in their late teens over the main 6.  

In order . . .

1) Luna's pretty tall for the show its just that she's normally shown in company with Celestia which makes her look smaller. Take this picture from Twilight's kingdom where you can clearly see the size progression. Twilight's obviously the smallest with the tip of her horn coming in slightly below Cadence's and near the top of Luna's eye while her shoulders are roughly in line with the centre of Cadence's chest and below Luna's body. Luna's nowhere near Celestia's heigh but for a pony character she is tall. You'll also notice from the bottom line that Cadence is standing roughly in the same point as Twilght while both Celestia and Luna are well back on the balcony and should look smaller as they're further away.

1780728281_ToScale.thumb.png.94d8650f59913150b2e9f0d7218ada06.png

As for Starswirls surprise that could just be the fact Celestia was young when he was teaching her. If you don't include the comics all we know is that he was their teacher not when and if you do he taught her after she became an Alicorn and was already fairly tall. Either way unless we get an age for Celestia studying under Starswirl even just a general pre-cutie mark, filly, mare range we can't say.

2) I don't see it to me it just looks like she's holding her neck up more rather than forward as she normally does in the earlier seasons that make her seem taller. In most of the earlier seaons her head was generally held / while after she becomes a princess its normally held | though when I get some time I'll go back and have a look to see if your right.

3) It's just the impression I get from them. For the sake of this discussion lets leave aside other sources and just focus on the main series. At the time it starts Rainbow Dash is just doing general weather ponying, Fluttershy is no job known, Pinkie Pie is at best working for the cakes (not her own business), Applejack is working on the family farm (same as Applebloom), only Rarity has her own Boutique and that's in a small town for a a pony who's literally been doing fashion design from when she got her cutie mark. Of the cast members one is still in school, one has a small business, one is working at someone elses business maybe (we don't confirm pinky working for the cakes till a few seasons in), one is doing work that seems to be generic pegasus work, one is working on the family farm and one is uknown. Nothing in there rules out teen/late teen and one argues for it, two could go either way and one is undetermined. Meanwhile people can get part time jobs in their mid teens and leave school to work full time from 16 so you don't need to be too old for that though nowaday's university is more common.

Over the course of the show we see Rainbow dash go from general weather ponying to wonderbolt reserve and then full time wonderbolt, Pinkie branches out from doing a lot of work for the cakes store to things like Yakyakistan ambassador, Rarities business grows first to canterlot then to Manehattan, Fluttershy remains undetermined though she has enough money/time to open an animal sanctuary, Applejack continues working on the family farm. All of which implies progress over time from small beginings to larger things the question is how much time which is what I'm working on the moment.

Currently its looking to me like 3 or so seasons will be a year. We have the summer sun festival in season 1 and season 4, we have have hearth's warming eve in season 2 and season 5 same with the sisterhooves social and Nightmare Night. Of course we also have running of the leaves in season 1 and season 5. However for now I'm just listing them as they occur and I'll try to put them into a timeline once I've got them all. Still unless you assume a lot occur off screen we're looking at 1 year from season 1 to season 4 and if you do assume there are ones offscreen (comics, etc) then you still only get 2 years or so unless you assume they're entirely off camera as it were. Still like I said its a work in progress I still need to go back and count how many letters Twilight gets returned to her from Celestia so we'll see. I do admit in season 4 Rainbow Dash's birthaversary cake had 21 candles showing.

As for the Crusaders they get their cutie marks in season 5 while we see the mane 6 get theirs off camera in response to Dash's rainboom so they're a few years older than that but its hard to tell how many. At the time they got those Applejack went back to work on the farm, Fluttershy and Dash were in junior flyers camp, Pinkie Pie was still working on the rock farm and Twlight was getting into Celestia's school. Again at the start of the show Twilight is still at Celestia's school. So take the Cutie Mark Crusaders in season 5 that's Twilght in the flashback and she hasn't graduated at the start of season 1. She is however close as the others (Minuette, Moondancer, Lemon Drops and Lyra all graduate sometime after season 1 opens).

Edited by Senko

5 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

No. They simply said that Equestria has never witnessed the birth of an alicorn before.

Implying that they are not born Alicorns... because they live in Equestria. If they are born Alicorns why would they even be shocked in the first place?

Just now, Kadeda said:

Implying that they are not born Alicorns... because they live in Equestria. If they are born Alicorns why would they even be shocked in the first place?

It's been said somewhere that Celestia and Luna were not born in Equestria,.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Senko said:

In order . . .

1) Luna's pretty tall for the show its just that she's normally shown in company with Celestia which makes her look smaller. Take this picture from Twilight's kingdom where you can clearly see the size progression. Twilight's obviously the smallest with the tip of her horn coming in slightly below Cadence's and near the top of Luna's eye while her shoulders are roughly in line with the centre of Cadence's chest and below Luna's body. Luna's nowhere near Celestia's heigh but for a pony character she is tall. You'll also notice from the bottom line that Cadence is standing roughly in the same point as Twilght while both Celestia and Luna are well back on the balcony and should look smaller as they're further away.

1780728281_ToScale.thumb.png.94d8650f59913150b2e9f0d7218ada06.png

As for Starswirls surprise that could just be the fact Celestia was young when he was teaching her. If you don't include the comics all we know is that he was their teacher not when and if you do he taught her after she became an Alicorn and was already fairly tall. Either way unless we get an age for Celestia studying under Starswirl even just a general pre-cutie mark, filly, mare range we can't say.

2) I don't see it to me it just looks like she's holding her neck up more rather than forward as she normally does in the earlier seasons that make her seem taller. In most of the earlier seaons her head was generally held / while after she becomes a princess its normally held | though when I get some time I'll go back and have a look to see if your right.

3) It's just the impression I get from them. For the sake of this discussion lets leave aside other sources and just focus on the main series. At the time it starts Rainbow Dash is just doing general weather ponying, Fluttershy is no job known, Pinkie Pie is at best working for the cakes (not her own business), Applejack is working on the family farm (same as Applebloom), only Rarity has her own Boutique and that's in a small town for a a pony who's literally been doing fashion design from when she got her cutie mark. Of the cast members one is still in school, one has a small business, one is working at someone elses business maybe (we don't confirm pinky working for the cakes till a few seasons in), one is doing work that seems to be generic pegasus work, one is working on the family farm and one is uknown. Nothing in there rules out teen/late teen and one argues for it, two could go either way and one is undetermined. Meanwhile people can get part time jobs in their mid teens and leave school to work full time from 16 so you don't need to be too old for that though nowaday's university is more common.

Over the course of the show we see Rainbow dash go from general weather ponying to wonderbolt reserve and then full time wonderbolt, Pinkie branches out from doing a lot of work for the cakes store to things like Yakyakistan ambassador, Rarities business grows first to canterlot then to Manehattan, Fluttershy remains undetermined though she has enough money/time to open an animal sanctuary, Applejack continues working on the family farm. All of which implies progress over time from small beginings to larger things the question is how much time which is what I'm working on the moment.

Currently its looking to me like 3 or so seasons will be a year. We have the summer sun festival in season 1 and season 4, we have have hearth's warming eve in season 2 and season 5 same with the sisterhooves social and Nightmare Night. Of course we also have running of the leaves in season 1 and season 5. However for now I'm just listing them as they occur and I'll try to put them into a timeline once I've got them all. Still unless you assume a lot occur off screen we're looking at 1 year from season 1 to season 4 and if you do assume there are ones offscreen (comics, etc) then you still only get 2 years or so unless you assume they're entirely off camera as it were. Still like I said its a work in progress I still need to go back and count how many letters Twilight gets returned to her from Celestia so we'll see. I do admit in season 4 Rainbow Dash's birthaversary cake had 21 candles showing.

As for the Crusaders they get their cutie marks in season 5 while we see the mane 6 get theirs off camera in response to Dash's rainboom so they're a few years older than that but its hard to tell how many. At the time they got those Applejack went back to work on the farm, Fluttershy and Dash were in junior flyers camp, Pinkie Pie was still working on the rock farm and Twlight was getting into Celestia's school. Again at the start of the show Twilight is still at Celestia's school. So take the Cutie Mark Crusaders in season 5 that's Twilght in the flashback and she hasn't graduated at the start of season 1. She is however close as the others (Minuette, Moondancer, Lemon Drops and Lyra all graduate sometime after season 1 opens).

That picture is kinda hard to go by since Luna and Cadance has been shown at similar heights in some shots. Some times... Luna is bigger and sometimes there the same height.  Scratch that... Luna is bigger. I never noticed that before. My bad.

2 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

It's been said somewhere that Celestia and Luna were not born in Equestria,.

Even if that is true ...that's not the point... 

Edited by Kadeda
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Kadeda said:

I'm inclined to agree its been pretty well shown that Celestia and Luna don't predate Equestria (the flag showing them notwithstanding). We know Starswirl travelled in Equestria and was their teacher before he dissapeared and the hearthswarming Tale mentions three tribes and their leaders but neither Celestia nor Luna. Even if they were born during that period, travelled to Equestria then became its ruler later they wouldn't have phrased it that way. They'd have said something like "Its been a long time since a pony was born an Alicorn" not "This is something Equestria has never seen." I'd say Fluttershy is either the first Alicorn to be born one or the first one to be born since before Celestia and Luna's time.

20 hours ago, Kadeda said:

That picture is kinda hard to go by since Luna and Cadance has been shown at similar heights in some shots. Some times... Luna is bigger and sometimes there the same height.  Scratch that... Luna is bigger. I never noticed that before. My bad.

15 hours ago, Senko said:

I'm inclined to agree its been pretty well shown that Celestia and Luna don't predate Equestria (the flag showing them notwithstanding). We know Starswirl travelled in Equestria and was their teacher before he dissapeared and the hearthswarming Tale mentions three tribes and their leaders but neither Celestia nor Luna. Even if they were born during that period, travelled to Equestria then became its ruler later they wouldn't have phrased it that way. They'd have said something like "Its been a long time since a pony was born an Alicorn" not "This is something Equestria has never seen." I'd say Fluttershy is either the first Alicorn to be born one or the first one to be born since before Celestia and Luna's time.

I refuse to believe that Celestia and Luna weren't born alicorns.