Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on 100% completion in Video Games

Cash In

Are you the type of person who actively tries to complete a game fully? Or are you just fine with beating it.

I'm normally just fine with beating a game, but I don't mind going for 100% completion if I find it interesting or if there's a neat reward. Of course, there are games which require 100+ hours and I don't think I could ever have the time or dedication to complete those.

• Brohoof 3

I've played prince of persia warrior within so many times i lost count.but i got to find all the secrets in the end

Rime would be another one

Test drive unlimited

Serious sam

And a ton of others that i cant think on the fly

• Brohoof 1

Most of the time with many games it's just a pain really, many of them are basically an annoyance made to artificially prolong the game. But some can be completed without biting your own tongue in the process off.

That being said:

NieR: Automata

Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon

Dead Space 1 & 2

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

Dark Souls III

(Technically) Skyrim + Morrowind

Salt and Sanctuary

Terraria

Diablo 1 + Hellfire / Diablo 2 + LoD

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

God of War I / II / III

Devil May Cry 3: SE

And probably others I cannot recall atm.

• Brohoof 1

I think there are 2 games where I have 100%. I don't like how games make you play the same levels over and over just to get achievements.

I usually get the ones that aren't too much work but I will ignore ones that are too hard.

• Brohoof 2

I can't remember a game I got into Competitive mode.

However, an exception are the Dark Souls chapters, Bloodborne, Crash nitro kart, Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur.

Also, @Passion on what you have Dark Souls 3 ?

• Brohoof 1

I'm finding myself going for 100% completion less and less. Most of them are either too hard, too repetitive, or too luck based only for a miserable achievement, and I got better ways to waste my time :dry:

• Brohoof 1

I am in two mindsets when it comes to this. On one hand, I find it to be overrated and for many games not exactly worth the investment, especially if the game is MASSIVE. Games like RPG's I don't even think of 100% completion. On the other side, I can see why people would want to do this. If it is a game that someone loves, then getting all there is to get in the game can feel really good and it can show passion. I see no issue there. I just don't see much of a point of the 'Must 100% everything' camp. Seems too stressful.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I am in two mindsets when it comes to this. On one hand, I find it to be overrated and for many games not exactly worth the investment, especially if the game is MASSIVE. Games like RPG's I don't even think of 100% completion. On the other side, I can see why people would want to do this. If it is a game that someone loves, then getting all there is to get in the game can feel really good and it can show passion. I see no issue there. I just don't see much of a point of the 'Must 100% everything' camp. Seems too stressful.

I kind of agree with this. Without even mentioning things like achievements, finding every item, completing every little quest, gaining every ability, maxing out all stats and levels is really only something a person should have the patience for when the game they're playing is something they really love. Otherwise there are things I'm sure you could be doing that you enjoy more than plugging away at a game you don't like for a trophy to simply throw on the pile.

On 2018-07-23 at 10:26 PM, Kyoshi said:

If it is a game that someone loves, then getting all there is to get in the game can feel really good and it can show passion.

Good point. I guess if I'm not immersed in a game to begin with, nothing really compels me to spend more time on it than I need to.

• Brohoof 2

Let me think of all the games I've done this with...

Chrono Trigger (at least 15 times)

Link's Awakening

Link to the Past

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Dying Light

Final Fantasy 7

Hamtaro Ham-Hams Unite

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games

Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku 2

Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury

Breath of Fire

Windwaker

Super Mario World

Super Mario 3

Metroid Prime

Yeah the list is getting too long, so I'll stop there. I usually only 100% a game if I absolutely love the game thouh.

(edited)

For me it depends a lot on what you mean by 100% completion and the game. Are you talking getting everything in the game or all the game achievements? That is take say Baldur's Gate series huge amount of stuff to do in the game with all the side missions, optional quests etc and most of it fun but no achievements dinging. On the other hand a modern game has all those "complete X get a trophy, complete all trophies get 100% completion trophy." The problem is that a lot of those are not really part of the game or something fun like a mission they're just there to as said above pad the game by having you kill x amount of an enemy type. You aren't doing side quest "Find the little boy's missing puppy which turns out to be a hellhound belonging to a demon who hid as a boy because he didn't think someone would help a demon find his puppy but genuinely thanks and rewards you for doing it."  instead your doing "beat X fight in less than 30 seconds" or "get all items with items X-Z being RNG if you ever see them."

I'm quite happy to spend hours on a well written game trying different characters and hunting down every side mission but I generally don't see the point in killing 10,000 skeletons to get the 10,000 skeleton achievement necessary to get the 100% completion achievement. Take Nioh fun game and I played thorugh every mission on the normal difficulty, then the way of the strong difficulty, then the way of the demon difficulty, then most missions on way of the nioh difficulty (didn't do the dojo ones which had gotten ridiculous by that stage), then several missions on the way of the wise difficulty before deciding this was the 5th time doing the exact same missions with "harder enemies" and a game designer who were actively going out of their way to nerf every build people found that was powerful as "unbalanced" making the harder difficulties almost impossible and the easier ones a really harsh battle for those buying the game later so I stopped without getting the 100% completion trophy.

Edited by Senko
  • Brohoof 1

100 completion in a game could be good if it actually meant anything other than a trophy or bragging right. Some games ive 100 percent completed were heartbreaking cause its just like. Ok, you did everything in the game that it has to offer, now what? I know games can be played so much, but when you completely beat it you expect some grand reward in the game.

Like, I have 100 percented most of the GTA games. In many, when you reach 100% you get some rewards in the form of a new car, or weapon to cause mayhem. Then you take games like Skyrim, or Fallout 4 and what do you get for 100 percent completion? Nothing.

The only games I ever 100 percent completed are:

1. the gta series starting from 2 and ending at 5.
  2. Final Fantasy 7, 10, 10-2, and 13
  3. Super Mario bros 2 and 3
  4. The first Three LoZ games
  5. Secrets of Monkey Island
  6. Loom
  7. All the Star Wars games for N64
  8. Far Cry 3 and 4

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the game. Zelda I'll 100% and most Metroid games I'll do as well. Especially Super and Prime 1.

• Brohoof 1

Well 100% completion is a little hard to do, but it depends on what games though. For me, It's mostly Kirby Games that I can 100% on, but the difficult part about doing a 100% completion on Kirby games is the boss battles. Normal Boss Battles are fine, but True Boss Battles which is True Arena in some Kirby games, and Soul Melter for Kirby Star allies. The True arena in Kirby Triple Deluxe was a lot harder than I imagined because the recovery is minimal and I have to rely on stone as a defense ability. For Kirby Planet robobot's true arena, well that's manageable, Usually mirror works best, but the shield shatters after certain amount of time also I used the amiibo as my emergency ration and discarded my ability by accident. For Kirby Star allies True Arena, well it gave me a slight difficult problems when soloing, but I used the same method as Kirby Planet robobot's true arena except that the health is halved and recovery potency isn't that good from vividria and used amiibos on 2 bosses. The co-op play isn't a problem since you can revive much as you want as long as you revive the 1st player, but recovering at half health after revive.

Legend of Zelda games, well that I can 100% complete on, but with the exception of WW, I can't 100% that because of the charts are confusing at a close up and need to money make as much as possible to get all the charts. Oracles is another exception since you can't get all the rings in 1 playthrough without a password

Other games, well Metroid, not as much in terms of the gameplay time, item collecting, and the difficulty of the game as well. Castlevania: Symphony of the night, well that can be arranged, but the hardest part is doing Richter's run even though this 100% completion applies from Xbox live arcade from xbox360 system.

I do have a lot of games that I can 100% on. It's just that it's a long list of games I have so here's what i have so far. I normally make 100% completion as part of my master run(s) so anything completed is 100% complete. Some games I can complete from my previous performance such as high scoring games like galaga 90 for turbografix-16 which I never completed in a long time, and 1943: battle for midway for the NES.

• Brohoof 1

On 2018-07-24 at 1:17 AM, Senko said:

For me it depends a lot on what you mean by 100% completion and the game. Are you talking getting everything in the game or all the game achievements?

I'm mostly referring to getting everything in the game. I didn't really consider achievements, when making the post.

• Brohoof 1

I have only beaten two games 100%. Those being Super Smash Bros. Melee (unlocked everyone on the roster and all of the assist trophies), and Fallout 3. I don't really care to beat games 100% in general, because I don't see the need.

I usually go where my missions take me, and sometimes it doesn't always mean I will be doing a game 100%. Maybe if I actually want to I might explore the game fully otherwise I will just leave some sections of the map unexplored.

I'll only 100% a game if I know how to do it. The games also has to be short. The majority of my 100% games are racing games, as I find them easiest to 100%. The games include: Hot Wheels Beat That!, Hot Wheels World Race, Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge, Destruction Derby Arenas and Spongebob: Lights, Camera, Pants.

• Brohoof 1

I dont think i have completed any game 100% as I personally enjoy games that are impossible to beat 100% most times as games that can be completed 100% it feels like there is some kind of cap that is dictating on how I play it 

I don't usually bother, and especially since the advent of achievements I haven't tried anymore, since a lot of them are multiplayer based and I don't play multiplayer. There are exactly five games I've ever beaten 100%, three of them without a walkthrough:
- Burnout 3
- Pokemon Silver
- Hydro Thunder
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (walkthrough)
- Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (walkthrough)

• Brohoof 1

I've never been a completionist.  I'll beat the main part and do some side stuff, but all of the smaller tidbits for that shiny 100% completion I find to be boring and tedious.  Why bother with that when you can start on another game or do something else?

I played Red Dead Redemption to 100% completion, but that's about it. Playing games to that level of completion takes a ridiculous amount of time, so I don't know if I ever will again.

• Brohoof 1

I do not have the attention span to 100% a game. The vast majority of games I stop playing shortly after playing through the story and never really come back to them. Even if I did, I would not have the patience to 100% them. I play games to relax, and 100%ing is usually stressful and difficult, which I don't find fun.

• Brohoof 1

I usually go for 100% completion as I like the accomplishment of knowing that I uncovered everything that a game had to offer. However, I don't do this with every game. In particular, ones that have near endless replay value.

• Brohoof 1