Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on 100% completion in Video Games

Cash In

There are a few games I've completed 100%, but I'm usually happy with just beating the core game and getting the good ending (if applicable).

• Super Mario World
  • Spyro (120%)
  • Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Shantae Half Genie Hero

There's a couple more, but they're not coming to mind. :orly:

• Brohoof 1

On 7/24/2018 at 1:09 AM, Cash In said:

I'm mostly referring to getting everything in the game. I didn't really consider achievements, when making the post. 

@KirbyFluttershy I didn't expect to see someone on this site, other than myself, who uses the Backloggery. Nice!

Oh, ok, in that case.... it depends. I usually complete every single side quest, get every weapon, and kill every boss, but I normally skip stat upgrades like the heart pieces from LOZ unless there’s a good incentive to do so like an extra boss or whatever 

A lot of games don't really show the true potential of their gameplay unless you do at least some of the optional stuff. Other times if you just run through the story and do nothing else you can mislead people into trying a game they aren't prepared for. That isn't to say that it's necessarily fun to 100% every game but can you truly say you know a game without at least attempting it? 

I will 100% games that I like a lot mainly, or ones where it won't take any major effort to do. Many I give up on part way through. I also don't really consider things like filling out every single item slot in an inventory as a necessary step.

On Playstation alone I have 28-ish Platinum Trophies including games like Darksiders, Ni No Kuni, and Alice: Madness Returns. Then are also some non-trophy games I've 100%'d like Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow as well as Star Ocean 1 and 2.

There are some games where I've gotten very close but eventually gave up on for one reason or another. Metroid Prime 2 left me with one missile expansion I could never find that stopped me from completing it. Then there's games like Silent Hill where the last thing I needed was those laser guns but beating hard mode with the top rank is ridiculous.

I should also mention that I see little issue with using guides to help get a completion. Particularly if there's a lot of things you can miss that would ruin a 100% playthrough. As someone who doesn't really like to play a game more than once I try to loom through walkthroughs at least a little to know if I need to keep an eye out for something. At the end of the day you still have to make the effort yourself and keeps the game fun.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, A.V. said:

I'm a pragmatist, so I only try for 100% if it actually unlocks something; I don't care that much about Achievements, Trophies, etc.

On the other hand, what's the point of unlocking something after you've already done everything? :P

One of the things that frustrates me the most is when they lock the best stuff behind 100% completion. I'm done with the game and just gonna play another. I don't need it anymore. If it's just something like a video or something it's not really worth the effort most of the time.

Depends on the game with me, something like Mad Max which I loved got all but one achievement finished, doing the last would have meant starting over and more time dealing with Denuvo which loves breaking on that game for some reason, so I SAM'd it instead. I do the same with broken achievements I legit earn in lots of games, cuz I hate seeing a couple dozen titles sitting at 99% completion when I actually beat them.

I usually come out of repeat plays utterly hating a game, so I rarely bother. I mean, why spend money on something that in the end will start making you mad? Seems a lil dumb :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I don't go for that in video games. 

The only ones I could think of are some lego games back when I was a kid. 

The Kung Fu Panda video game. 

And finally the fucking most infuriating 100% was Sonic Heroes. 

Finish the story. Awesome! Then finish all the extra missions and you get all the two player matches. Still awesome! Then get all A's. And then you get super hard mode. Ok so beat a bunch of missions "perfectly" and then get more missions? Ok weird. Anyway, did the super hard mode, and then what do you get???

Spoiler

nothing.png.6e3efd86841c3675918b92f3836f149d.png

Little kid me was aghast and infuriated. 

Edited by Miss
  • Brohoof 1

I try my best to go for 100% but often I have to edit some files to do that.

I like that most games I play have a definitive end, but there are some games I play that could go on forever before I realize I’ve already done everything once. :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 2

I like watching 100% speedruns as long as the game has done way to make it fast. It gives me some entertainment that last longer than any% categories

• Brohoof 1

I usually don’t 100 percent a game anymore, especially if it requires something tedious like collecting 300 arbitrary items with no clues where they are.

There’s just too many games I want to play and I don’t have as much free time as I did when I was a kid.

• Brohoof 1

There are games that you have no choice but to complete 100% to get a lot :secret:of cool things.  Star Wars Rogue Squadron (1998), I want the Y-Wing in every level with the cool ion cannon soundB), too bad, :okiedokieloki:you got to get gold medals in every level, including the bonus levels.  Meaning I'm stuck with the Y-Wing in only :angry:two levels and can't use the Snowspeeder:unamused: in the Y-Wing levels.  

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not really into 100% completion, since I'm not really that into that many games. I don't have anything against others who do, I just don't like people who act like you aren't a "true fan/gamer/whatever" if you don't 100% complete the game. Thankfully, there aren't really that many people who are like that.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not usually into 100% playthrough, I play a game once and occasionally do some side stuff. Thought the only game I'm beating to 100% is Sekiro Shadow Die Twice

• Brohoof 2

It really depends on the video game for me. When it comes to main series Pokémon games, however, I won’t stop playing until everything is completed.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually try to 100 percent a game before i play the sequel, but sometimes it gets so difficult and frustrating that i take " 100 % " a bit lightly.

For me its enough to beat a game on the hardest mode and if i then still didnt unlock something just because i didnt got the highest rank, i simply ignore it.

For example, i never managed to get the s rank in any Resident Evil Game, doesnt madder how hard i tried, so i gave up. Not everyone is a gamer god and many games are so frustrating and difficult than it make me feel miserable. Video Games should be fun, not rage inducing in my opinion.

I don't do it. It's diminishing returns for me. I usually finish the story and I'm done. I also usually do not replay the game (well, maybe after a few years) and I use the "normal" difficulty.

Some of the achievements and such are very tedious to get, if I tried that, the game would be more like work than entertainemnt for me.