Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

3D vs 2D animation nowadays

The Silver Cheese

1237497__safe_artist-colon-pirill_queen+

Hello everypony! I need people that can sacriface 10 minutes of your life (mostly on your feelings and thoughts). Recently, I have been analazing for myself a influence that cartoons, animated movie and TV series have, including their animating methods. We are talking about 2D vs 3D animataion (we can also generally say it about art and graphics). Which of them is the best in your opinion? I will be glad if you fill sheet below (it is anonymous), because it is the easiest way to gather all of your answers in one place, and draw conclusions from them, and additional own thoughts. Of course we can discuss it in a comment section below :muffins:

Link:     

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSepcQg9RSgQrwRXsMYPEszygTHH7Ysuk3Ld5h64iirOsbJetw/viewform?usp=sf_link

I Like 3D animation more personally but I like the ability of pushing a 2D medium into a somewhat 3D looking aspect...

But I also like those Red/Cyan glasses 3D and put that into all movies, movie studios

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I like 2D animation more, but only because I know very well that there's a difference between animation and art style. And it's inevitable that 3D animation isn't as good as 2D, simply because it's newer and, as long as someone somewhere is making 2D animations, it can never catch up.

Edited by DJShy

2D animation is simple and pleasuring to the eye. 3D animation is complex and hurt those eys.

2D animation also is much easier, so more episodes of something can be created, in opposition to 3D, which is much more difficult.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, thanks.

I prefer 2D over 3D. While I like them both for their individual merits, I think 2D has a more natural, fluid look that's more faithful to the hand of the artist creating it, whereas 3D is more polished and processed. 2D is often more broad and exaggerated while 3D is more realistic. I like animation that squashes and stretches the limits of reality because that's what animation does best. 

Both are great when done right.

3d has the benefit of allowing better graphics in moving objects

2d has 2 subsections

One is the puppeteering that's used for mlp.the benefit is that its easier to produce so its often prefered for long-running series

And then there is the frame-by-frame animation.my personal favorite

Making it is very demanding.both in time and expenses.but the result is worth it.

the greatest benefit is how expressive characters can be

And lastly there's the combination of 2d and 3d.

It still has 2d expressive characters. while also keeping the cost down by mixing 3d background elements.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
On 2018-07-24 at 1:52 AM, Lord Valtasar said:

Both are great when done right.

3d has the benefit of allowing better graphics in moving objects

2d has 2 subsections

One is the puppeteering that's used for mlp.the benefit is that its easier to produce so its often prefered for long-running series

And then there is the frame-by-frame animation.my personal favorite

Making it is very demanding.both in time and expenses.but the result is worth it.

the greatest benefit is how expressive characters can be

And lastly there's the combination of 2d and 3d.

It still has 2d expressive characters. while also keeping the cost down by mixing 3d background elements.

Well said.