Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art Planets, Astrophotography, and UV/IR Photography

Phosphor

If the sky is clear after sunset, I'm usually outside with a telescope. Saturn is my favorite planet, so I tend to image it the most with my gear. A storm can be seen near the Polar Hex region in the color image. The monochrome image is in the near Infrared spectrum. Enjoy!

Sat_233647_SW16_ASI224MC_ADC_7-24-2018.jpg

Sat_234721_SW16_ASI178MM_IR685_7-24-2018.jpg

• Brohoof 14

Wow,you've  got great images!I like Saturn very much and I also like Uranus.are you curious about such topics?And here I say on July 27th is the longest bloody lunar eclipse of the 21st century! 

• Brohoof 3

Very nice! These are so clear, all things considered. For some reason I could never find Saturn with my own telescope but even if I did find it I wouldn't see it this well. So thanks for sharing, always nice to see anything space related. :) Makes me want to play Elite Dangerous right now. XD

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, emma_22 said:

Wow,you've  got great images!I like Saturn very much and I also like Uranus.are you curious about such topics?And here I say on July 27th is the longest bloody lunar eclipse of the 21st century! 

Thank you. Oh, I love astronomy! I also do some astrophotography, mainly in the winter months. 

10 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Very nice! These are so clear, all things considered. For some reason I could never find Saturn with my own telescope but even if I did find it I wouldn't see it this well. So thanks for sharing, always nice to see anything space related. :) Makes me want to play Elite Dangerous right now. XD

You're welcome. I have a lot of Mars data from last night's imaging session, so I'll be posting those soon. 

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely astonishing. Thank you for sharing this, I'm truly excited to see more in the future! ^^

• Brohoof 2

Methane has an absorption line at 889nm, which is also in the near IR spectrum. Unlike the above NIR image, Saturn's atmosphere is very dark when imaged with a Methane Absorption filter. The rings are quite reflective due to the water ice and lack of methane.

Telescope: Skywatcher 16

Camera: ZWO ASI178MM

Saturn_CH4.jpg

• Brohoof 4

Wow that's amazing! I have a telescope but unfortunately its been pretty rainy the past few days so I haven't gotten a chance to see things with it. Saturn is my ruling planet.

• Brohoof 1

Saturn 7/26/2018: 

I think I can see the Polar Hexagon in these images. It's tough to capture with the planet low in the sky. Enjoy!

2nd image is full spectrum.

Saturn_Color_7-26-2018.jpg

Saturn_NIR+Color_7-26-2018 (1).jpg

• Brohoof 4

• The title was changed to Planets and Astrophotography

Mars 7/29/2018

The sky was a bit hazy but I was still able to image. There is a bright spot in the center right of the planet. This might be another dust storm.

First 3 images are Near IR. Mars' rotation can be seen by cycling thru these. Fourth image is blue light. Last is violet light. The polar ice cap and clouds really shine in the shorter wavelengths. I wasn't able to do any UV imaging. Conditions weren't favorable, so I had to use my smaller rig. Enjoy!

Telescope: Celestron C8 / Camera: ZWO ASI178MM

Mars_NIR_7-29-2018 (1).jpg

Mars_NIR_7-29-2018 (2).jpg

Mars_NIR_7-29-2018 (3).jpg

Mars_Blue_7-29-2018.jpg

Mars_Violet_7-29-2018.jpg

• Brohoof 4

More Mars images. The humidity was crazy high. I had to keep the fan on full blast to keep the telescope from fogging up and run off the mosquitoes. 

Imaged with Celestron C8 and ZWO ASI224MC camera

Mars_Color_8-2-2018 (1).jpg

Mars_Color_8-2-2018 (2).jpg

• Brohoof 4

Tonight was wonderful for imaging. The atmosphere was as calm as one could ask for. I enjoying watching the Milky Way from my patio, especially when it's overhead. 

The Milky Way images appear more red than usual. This is because I had my dslr camera converted to detect the Near Infrared and UV spectrum. The infrared portion interferes with the colors when a blocking filter isn't used. Enjoy!

MWG_FullSpectrum 1.JPG

MWG_FullSpectrum 2.JPG

MWG_FullSpectrum 3.JPG

MWG_FullSpectrum 4.JPG

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
On 8/3/2018 at 1:51 AM, Phosphor270 said:

More Mars images. The humidity was crazy high. I had to keep the fan on full blast to keep the telescope from fogging up and run off the mosquitoes.

My first attempt at catching a planet with my little telescope is coming soon. I just saw Mars last night when I was getting off my shift and couldn't believe how big and bright it was.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, bornAgainEquestrian said:

My first attempt at catching a planet with my little telescope is coming soon. I just saw Mars last night when I was getting off my shift and couldn't believe how big and bright it was.

You'll be in a for a treat. The polar ice cap and some surface details will be visible, even in a small telescope. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Last night was fantastic for planetary imaging! The atmosphere was calm and that helped a ton with dialing in the focus.

The storm near Saturn's Polar Hexagon appears to have grown in size since I last imaged it. 

The dust on Mars is continuing to settle; however, the planet is moving away from us. It will take on more of a gibbous phase and decrease in brightness and apparent size as time goes on. The last 2 Mars images are Near Infrared, which is able to penetrate the remaining dust a little better.

Last image is my Celestron C8 telescope and tracking mount in thermal infrared (wavelengths 2-5 microns).

Cameras: ZWO ASI224MC (color); ASI178MM (Near IR/UV)

Saturn_Color_8-13-2018.jpg

Saturn_Color_8-14-2018 (2).jpg

Mars_Color_8-14-2018 (1).jpg

Mars_Color_8-14-2018 (2).jpg

Mars_Color_8-14-2018 (3).jpg

Mars_Near IR_8-14-2018 (1).jpg

Mars_Near IR_8-14-2018 (2).jpg

C8 Thermal Image (3).jpg

Edited by Phosphor270
  • Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, Califorum said:

@Phosphor270

I love those pictures!

Thank you! Tomorrow night is looking really good in the forecast. I plan to setup the SkyWatcher 16, if the conditions hold up. I also want to take another shot at Venus in UV. It's sinking lower in the sky every night.

• Brohoof 2

Last night was quite humid. I think I spent more time drying the optics with the hairdryer than actually looking at the sky. lol. Rain is in the forecast for the next several days. Afterwards, my next targets are Venus and the Lagoon Nebula.

Mars rotation can be seen by cycling thru the images. Imaged with the Skywatcher 16 Telescope.

Mars_SW16_ASI224MC_ADC_8-15-2018 (1).jpg

Mars_SW16_ASI224MC_ADC_8-15-2018 (2).jpg

Mars_SW16_ASI224MC_ADC_8-15-2018 (3).jpg

Mars_SW16_ASI224MC_ADC_8-15-2018 (4).jpg

• Brohoof 4

Just now, Lord Midnight Madness said:

I've noticed during the winter I can view planets better than during the summer.

Because the air is drier, not as much humidity in the air I believe.

• Brohoof 2

Some UV images of Venus from the last 3 months. The planet will begin to appear brighter and larger each day until it reaches inferior conjunction in October. When Venus becomes a thin crescent, it is possible to image the night time side, which has a thermal emission at 1.1 microns.

1st Image: 6/25/2018

2nd Image: 7/25/2018

3rd Image: 8/21/2018

Telescope: Celestron C8

Camera: ZWO ASI178MM w/ U-Venus filter

Venus_UV-A_6-25-2018.jpg

Venus_UV-A_7-25-2018.jpg

Venus_UV-A_8-21-2018.jpg

• Brohoof 4

It's very late in the season for Jupiter, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity yesterday evening after imaging Venus. Images are in Near Infrared. 

Jupiter_8-21-2018_Near IR (1).jpg

Jupiter_8-21-2018_Near IR (2).jpg

Jupiter_8-21-2018_Near IR (3).jpg

• Brohoof 4