Phosphor

Visual Art Planets, Astrophotography, and UV/IR Photography

12 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Your stuff is really beautiful and shows that you really love what you do, I do hope you keep up with your photography here. :kindness:

I've always kinda wanted to take on a bit of a hobby in astronomy, is there anything I should get to start like telescopes or lens?

Thank you very much!  :D

If you have a dslr camera and tripod, the kit lens will get you started with wide field star trails and even the Milky Way if skies are dark enough and the exposure is kept short enough.

A really good starter telescope, imo, is the Celestron C90. It's well built, very portable, and it's design is free of chromatic aberration. Put it on a decent tripod, and it will keep you observing until you're ready for a larger telescope. :) 

• Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, Phosphor said:

Thank you very much!  :D

If you have a dslr camera and tripod, the kit lens will get you started with wide field star trails and even the Milky Way if skies are dark enough and the exposure is kept short enough.

A really good starter telescope, imo, is the Celestron C90. It's well built, very portable, and it's design is free of chromatic aberration. Put it on a decent tripod, and it will keep you observing until you're ready for a larger telescope. :) 

Cool, I'll be sure to keep that in mind and shop for one of those sometime soon. Thanks for your advice :mlp_ooh:

• Brohoof 2

Badges

To the eyes, this is just an ordinary yellow glass filled with alcohol. But how does it appear in another spectrum of light? Let's have a look: :grin:

1st Image: Visible Light - glass and alcohol are transparent

2nd Image: Ultraviolet Light - Glass is opaque due to UV absorption

3rd Image: Near Infrared - Glass is transparent, but the alcohol is a little darker due to some absorption in NIR

4th Image: Midwave Infrared - Glass is still transparent, but the alcohol is opaque due to strong absorption in MWIR

Pretty cool, eh? I'm hoping to add a long wave infrared camera to my collection soon. Most thermal cameras operate here. 

Yellow Glass_Vis.jpg

Yellow Glass_UV.jpg

Yellow Glass_NIR.jpg

Yellow Glass_MWIR_11-30-2018.jpg

• Brohoof 2

After Orion, the Pleiades is one of my favorite deep sky objects.

On the 2nd image, some distortions are visible near the corners, since I forget to install the field flattener. I didn't forget it for today's imaging session, at least. :P 

1st Image: 12/3/2018; 18 minute integration time w/ field flattener; ISO 3600

2nd Image: 12/2/2018; 30 minute integration time w/o field flattener and heavily cropped; ISO 3600

Telescope: Aquila 90mm Achromatic refractor; focal ratio of f/5.5

Pleiades_Embed_12-3-2018_AWB_GIMP.jpg

Pleiades_12-2-2018_Embed_AWB_NR_Despeckle.jpg

• Brohoof 1

My 3rd attempt on the Pleiades. Last image is the Horsehead and Flame Nebula. 

Exposure info is on the lower right hand side of each photo. 

Pleiades_12-4-2018_Embed_AWB_Gimp.jpg

Horsehead Nebula_12-4-2018_Embed_AWB_Gimp.jpg

• Brohoof 2