Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art Planets, Astrophotography, and UV/IR Photography

Phosphor

12 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Your stuff is really beautiful and shows that you really love what you do, I do hope you keep up with your photography here. :kindness:

I've always kinda wanted to take on a bit of a hobby in astronomy, is there anything I should get to start like telescopes or lens?

Thank you very much!  :D

If you have a dslr camera and tripod, the kit lens will get you started with wide field star trails and even the Milky Way if skies are dark enough and the exposure is kept short enough.

A really good starter telescope, imo, is the Celestron C90. It's well built, very portable, and it's design is free of chromatic aberration. Put it on a decent tripod, and it will keep you observing until you're ready for a larger telescope. :) 

• Brohoof 4

12 hours ago, Phosphor said:

Thank you very much!  :D

If you have a dslr camera and tripod, the kit lens will get you started with wide field star trails and even the Milky Way if skies are dark enough and the exposure is kept short enough.

A really good starter telescope, imo, is the Celestron C90. It's well built, very portable, and it's design is free of chromatic aberration. Put it on a decent tripod, and it will keep you observing until you're ready for a larger telescope. :) 

Cool, I'll be sure to keep that in mind and shop for one of those sometime soon. Thanks for your advice :mlp_ooh:

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

To the eyes, this is just an ordinary yellow glass filled with alcohol. But how does it appear in another spectrum of light? Let's have a look: :grin:

1st Image: Visible Light - glass and alcohol are transparent

2nd Image: Ultraviolet Light - Glass is opaque due to UV absorption

3rd Image: Near Infrared - Glass is transparent, but the alcohol is a little darker due to some absorption in NIR

4th Image: Midwave Infrared - Glass is still transparent, but the alcohol is opaque due to strong absorption in MWIR

Pretty cool, eh? I'm hoping to add a long wave infrared camera to my collection soon. Most thermal cameras operate here. 

Yellow Glass_Vis.jpg

Yellow Glass_UV.jpg

Yellow Glass_NIR.jpg

Yellow Glass_MWIR_11-30-2018.jpg

• Brohoof 3

After Orion, the Pleiades is one of my favorite deep sky objects.

On the 2nd image, some distortions are visible near the corners, since I forget to install the field flattener. I didn't forget it for today's imaging session, at least. :P 

1st Image: 12/3/2018; 18 minute integration time w/ field flattener; ISO 3600

2nd Image: 12/2/2018; 30 minute integration time w/o field flattener and heavily cropped; ISO 3600

Telescope: Aquila 90mm Achromatic refractor; focal ratio of f/5.5

Pleiades_Embed_12-3-2018_AWB_GIMP.jpg

Pleiades_12-2-2018_Embed_AWB_NR_Despeckle.jpg

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...

It's been a little while since I posted anything in this thread. Pretty much the whole month of December was rainy. It feels good to be back in business again!  :fluttershy:

To help obtain more exposures, I purchased an intervalometer. Basically, it's a digital timer that also operates the camera for you. It worked wonderfully last night. I set the parameters, pressed start, and went inside to watch the football game.  :twismile:

Here's my 2nd attempt on the Orion Nebula: (details on lower left corner)

Orion Nebula_1-5-2019_Embed_AWB_GIMP.jpg

• Brohoof 5

I think the crescent phase has to be my favorite. After sunset, the night time portion of the Moon is illuminated with reflected light from Earth, known as Earthshine. It's easily visible to the naked eye and can be captured with a camera and zoom lens. I used my 90mm refractor, since my dslr was already mounted to it.

Last image is my 3rd attempt on the Flame and Horsehead Nebula. Enjoy!  :D

Crescent Moon_1-8-2019.jpg

Crescent Moon Earthshine_1-8-2019.jpg

Horsehead Nebula_01-09-2019_Embed_AWB_GIMP.jpg

• Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...

The 2019 Total Lunar Eclipse.  :-D

Images taken with Celestron C8 and Sony Alpha A55V dslr (modded)

Total Lunar Eclipse 2019.gif

DSC01350.JPG

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01352.JPG

DSC01353.JPG

DSC01354.JPG

DSC01355.JPG

DSC01357.JPG

DSC01358.JPG

DSC01359.JPG

DSC01361.JPG

DSC01367.JPG

DSC01371.JPG

DSC01373.JPG

DSC01376.JPG

DSC01382.JPG

DSC01386.JPG

DSC01390.JPG

DSC01391.JPG

DSC01392.JPG

DSC01393.JPG

DSC01394.JPG

The rest of the images. I also have a couple Near IR shots.

DSC01395.JPG

DSC01396.JPG

DSC01399.JPG

DSC01409.JPG

DSC01417.JPG

DSC01419.JPG

DSC01421.JPG

DSC01422.JPG

DSC01425.JPG

DSC01428.JPG

DSC01430.JPG

DSC01431.JPG

DSC01434.JPG

DSC01435.JPG

DSC01436.JPG

• Brohoof 5

The Moon appears red during a total eclipse due to atmospheric refraction of light. Wavelengths shorter than red are scattered away, but if we could see in the Near IR spectrum, the Moon would appear almost the same during a total eclipse.

1st image is in visible light. 

2nd image is in Near IR. Both images were taken at the maximum eclipse and have the same camera settings.

DSC01409.JPG

Total Lunar Eclipse_NIR_1-20-2019.jpg

• Brohoof 6

Jupiter and Venus :D 

Both planets are close to each other in the sky and can be seen shining brightly shortly before sunrise. I had to use lower magnification on both due to atmospheric turbulence.  

Jup_063108_lapl6_ap9 (2).jpg

Ven_073140_lapl6_ap3.jpg

• Brohoof 5

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted anything in this thread. Time to fix that. :mlp_grin:

First three images are a pair of safety glasses in UV and visible light. I'm not too surprised by the UV photos since polycarbonate absorbs it. Still pretty neat to see it, tho.

The chapstick in the last two photos claims to have an SPF of 15, so I put it to the test. It does the job..  ^_^

Safety Glasses_UV_3-4-2019 (2).jpg

Safety Glasses_UV_3-4-2019.jpg

Safety Glasses_Vis_3-4-2019.jpg

Chapstick_UV_3-4-2019.jpg

Chapstick_Vis_3-4-2019.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Where do you usually go for when you look at stars and planets? I found a spot outside my town where light pollution is completely free so I can do some great stargazing from there. Do you go somewhere for that or just stick at your home?

• Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I found a spot outside my town where light pollution is completely free

Oooo, I'm jealous! :P

I setup in my backyard, usually on the back patio. I have class 4 skies out here, so I have no trouble seeing the Milky Way and such. I have a meter that measures the sky brightness. On a typical night I'll measure 21.00 mag/arcsec^2

20170816_220745.jpg

20170816_215429.jpg

sky-brightness-nomogram.gif

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Jupiter will be considerably lower in altitude compared to a couple years ago. That means I will have to look thru more atmosphere, which degrades image quality. Regardless, it's good to see our gas giant neighbor again.  :fluttershy:

Next image is M51, also known as the Whirlpool Galaxy. This was my first time to image it and was able to do it with my Celestron C8. Normally I would use a short refractor, but its magnification was a bit too low for this target. Astrophotography with a C8 is tough due to its weight and long focal length. With careful adjustment of the mount's counterweights, I was able to find that sweet spot and balance the telescope. 

More to come as the summer sky approaches!  :mlp_yay:

Jup_062454_C8_ASI224MC_ADC_3-25-2019.jpg

The Whirlpool Galaxy_3-27-2019_GIMP.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Enjoy some White Azaleas in UV and Near Infrared light :D

I've always wondered if the colors I get from my camera are real in the UV spectrum. Color and light outside the visible spectrum is quite fascinating to me. :ooh: I've tested my eyes in the past and can see down to 365nm, when looking thru a UV filter. Maybe I should look thru it on a bright sunny day and see what the flowers look like!  :mlp_grin:

Pics 1-5: Ultraviolet

Pic 6: Visible

Pics 7-8: Near Infrared

Azalia_UV_1.jpg

Azalia_UV_2.jpg

Azalia_UV_3.jpg

Azalia_UV_4.jpg

Azalia_UV_5.jpg

White Azalia_Vis.jpg

Azalia_NIR_1.jpg

Azalia_NIR_2.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

A simple, yet fun experiment to see the effect wavelength has on resolution. It's widely known that decreasing wavelength increases resolution. Also have to account for the atmosphere, since it scatters shorter wavelengths much more strongly and can cause optical dispersion.. To minimize this, I waited till the Moon was near the zenith (straight up). Turbulence is also minimal here.

Afterwards, I looked at some craters with a green filter. I must say, the Moon's surface looked 3D like!  :fluttershy:

Telescope: Skywatcher 16

Camera: ZWO ASI178MM (*Monochrome camera*)

Moon_SW16_NIR_4-15-2019.jpg

Moon_SW16_Vis_4-15-2019.jpg

Moon_SW16_Violet_4-15-2019.jpg

Moon_SW16_UV_4-15-2019.jpg

Edited by Phosphor
Specified camera type
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up early Saturday morning to see Jupiter and Saturn. The forecast showed 5/5 seeing conditions for that time. It actually wasn't far off, more like 4.5/5. Telescope was already setup the night before, so it was well acclimated to the cooler temps. This is very important, else thermal currents will ruin the image. 

Jupiter's Great Red Spot looks a bit different this year with the additional cloud band wrapping around it. Saturn appears more or less the same, with the exception of its ring tilt. We're past the peak tilt from 2017, so the ring tilt will slowly decrease in angle each year. The rings will appear edge on in 2025. :fluttershy:

https://earthsky.org/todays-image/notice-the-tilt-in-saturns-rings

I've also included some raw video from the camera.  Enjoy everypony!  :D

Jupiter_C8_Vis_4-27-2019.jpg

Saturn_C8_Vis_4-27-2019.jpg

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Califorum said:

Have you ever tried modifying the videos of the planets so they are less blurry?

Unfortunately, it's the atmosphere that is causing the blur. Short of leaving the atmosphere or purchasing adaptive optics (insanely expensive right now :sealed:), there isn't much I can do to make the videos better.The noise can be reduced by using a camera with an onboard cooler, but those are normally used for long exposure astrophotography, where thermal noise needs to be limited.

One thing I can do; however, is record at reduced magnification. The planet will appear smaller, but the effects of turbulence will be lessened. There's no free lunch with this method, tho. It's complicated, but in order to maximize a telescope's resolving power, the optimum focal ratio must be used. There's some math and theory involved in determining that, so I will leave it at that.  :adorkable:

The images come from stacking the best frames, since even under turbulent conditions, there are brief periods of stability. Hope this helps. (Oh goodness, once I get started on this topic, it's hard to stop. lol) :adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh dear. This thread has collected quite a bit of dust. :sealed: Time to fix that.

A short video showing the appearance of objects in different wavelengths of light:  

In the first sequence, the lens is filtered with a UV/IR cut filter. This is how off-the-shelf cameras and our eyes see. The bottle is opaque and Twilight plush appears with her normal colors. The second sequence shows the removal of that filter. Since the camera's sensor had it's factory filter removed, Near IR light can be detected. The bottle appears almost transparent and the plush's colors are altered. The effect of Near IR light is quite strong. In the final sequence, a Near IR filter is placed in front of the lens. The bottle is completely transparent and the colors of the plush are gone. The reason for this is because many dyes are transparent in the Near IR region.

*An incandescent lamp was used since household LED's emit very little Near IR light

• Brohoof 1